2018 Mercedes AMG Petronas Formula One Team

This forum contains threads to discuss teams themselves. Anything not technical about the cars, including restructuring, performances etc belongs here.
astracrazy

Re: 2018 Mercedes AMG Petronas Formula One Team

LM10 wrote:
30 Jul 2018, 15:22
Even if Mercedes figures out what Ferrari is doing, they will be at least 1 year behind in developing.
Well, maybe. I would guess regardless it will be an update for next season. For this season it would have to be on PU3, which I doubt we are too far away from given spa and monza coming up.

I'm still not sure if Merc do or don't know what Ferrari are doing. Given there openness of having meetings with the FIA then maybe they do or they are just spouting out potential ideas. Having said that, if they do know I don't think they would say so, so.....we will see.

Phil

I doubt whatever Ferrari is doing will take a year to "develop". The time intense developments are the small increments that take place over an entire season or stages of development. If a competitor suddenly finds such a huge jump in performance, it's most likely due to some greyzone they are exploiting, e.g. something others simply didn't think of or some clever interpretations of the regulations. My bet is, whatever Ferrari are doing is either legal and sanctioned by the FIA upon which Mercedes & Co. will sooner or later figure out and copy, or they will argue/clarify its interpretation upon which the FIA may disallow it for later use. Same happened with FRIC, oil-burning, with the F-duct, with pretty much all ingenious inventions that other teams couldn't replicate in a short enough time frame. Either way, I give full credit to Ferrari for whatever they are doing, as given how the last 4 seasons turned out, I didn't think someone would beat Mercedes on the PU front. Get close yes, equal yes that too in given time, but surpass? That I didn't think would happen. Full marks for Ferrari.

Having said that, I do think it's rather doubtful Mercedes will figure it out until Spec3 is due, so either way, I think the title run will be very close.
Not for nothing, Rosberg's Championship is the only thing that lends credibility to Hamilton's recent success. Otherwise, he'd just be the guy who's had the best car. — bhall II
#Team44 supporter

Morteza

"A fool thinks himself to be wise, but a wise man knows himself to be a fool."~William Shakespeare

LM10

The reason why Niki Lauda didn't participate in the German and Hungarian Grand Prix was that he got the flu in Ibiza. Sounds harmless, but his condition turned that bad that he was flown to Vienna in his private jet and stayed in intensive care in the hospital for several days. Now he's on a normal ward.
Last edited by LM10 on 02 Aug 2018, 13:54, edited 2 times in total.

Sierra117

Flu is actually anything but harmless. Especially as one ages. I pray he gets better soon.
NIKI LAUDANZ SolidarityCubolligraphy | Instagram | Facebook
#Aerogorn & #Flowramir

Big Tea

Flu is serious. 90% of the time people claim to have had it, they have not. Oh I had flu but still went to work. Rubbish. If you have flu you re in bed, no exception. If you are unlucky, you get flu twice in your life, not once a year. Much misunderstood.

I wondered where Niki had been. We usually see him during the weekend.
When arguing with a fool, be sure the other person is not doing the same thing.

Just_a_fan

That's why the "I've got flu, I'll be in work tomorrow" is known as "man flu"...make a song and dance about it but it's nothing really.

Real flu kills.
If you are more fortunate than others, build a larger table not a taller fence.

PhillipM

I had flu once and I couldn't physically move my head, never mind move out of bed, it was like being paralysed, real flu is serious.

WaikeCU

One should ask what he was doing at Ibiza... ? jk

Hope he recovers well. There's all kinds of flu's, but it sure isn't harmless.

astracrazy

PhillipM wrote:
02 Aug 2018, 02:24
I had flu once and I couldn't physically move my head, never mind move out of bed, it was like being paralysed, real flu is serious.
Yeah I had it once too a few years ago. I've had food poisoning and stuff but this was the worse I have ever felt. I remember managing to have the energy to shower and it was on 38deg or whatever it is before you have to press the safety switch in to go hotter and it just felt cold. I'd have burnt myself I think had I got it hot enough to feel hot. I was mid-twenties so I can't imagine what it would be like for an OAP

Big Tea

WaikeCU wrote:
02 Aug 2018, 11:45
One should ask what he was doing at Ibiza... ? jk

Hope he recovers well. There's all kinds of flu's, but it sure isn't harmless.
Catching flu?
When arguing with a fool, be sure the other person is not doing the same thing.

Sierra117

I wish the F1 testing sessions were broadcast somewhere. Would be cool to see them trying stuff out, troubleshooting, seeing the juniors drive, etc.
#Aerogorn & #Flowramir

Sierra117

According to a news report 3 hours ago Niki is recovering well. Good to hear!

I just had a punny vision of Niki rocking to some music in Ibiza and telling the DJ, "Lauda! Laauuddaaa!!!" 😂😂
#Aerogorn & #Flowramir

F1NAC

Sierra117 wrote:
02 Aug 2018, 13:52

I just had a punny vision of Niki rocking to some music in Ibiza and telling the DJ, "Lauda! Laauuddaaa!!!" 😂😂
According to ORF, Lauda today underwent a lung transplantation. Surgery went well but he remains in critical condition

:arrow: LINk

Sierra117

F1NAC wrote:
02 Aug 2018, 19:55
Sierra117 wrote:
02 Aug 2018, 13:52

According to ORF, Lauda today underwent a lung transplantation. Surgery went well but he remains in critical condition

:arrow: LINk
This is odd, English news makes no mention of a lung transplant anywhere, but it does mention his kidney transplant from many years ago because they were worried if the kidneys are affected right now.
#Aerogorn & #Flowramir