2018 Mercedes AMG Petronas Formula One Team

This forum contains threads to discuss teams themselves. Anything not technical about the cars, including restructuring, performances etc belongs here.
zibby43

Re: 2018 Mercedes AMG Petronas Formula One Team

dans79 wrote:
19 Sep 2018, 14:15
gdogg371 wrote:
19 Sep 2018, 12:50
Mercedes seem to be clawing their way back towards being the most competitive chassis over the past couple of races. What is that being attributed to? Wasn't there last engine upgrade a few rounds back, or is it aero related? Was great seeing the Mercs going well round Singapore, when they have been so poor there in the main...
from what I've read, it's Aero upgrades as well as mapping changes to the engine between races. From what I've read it sounds like they are continually Dyno testing the current spec engines in brixworth. If something shows a performance improvement with no hit to reliability and they implement it.
They also introduced a new rear wheel drum that was used for the first time in Singapore.

Unlike anything else used on the grid. It's thought that this change, working together with the new rear wheels, has helped Mercedes start to manage rear tire temperatures.

dans79

zibby43 wrote:
19 Sep 2018, 19:43
They also introduced a new rear wheel drum that was used for the first time in Singapore.

Unlike anything else used on the grid. It's thought that this change, working together with the new rear wheels, has helped Mercedes start to manage rear tire temperatures.
I'm aware, i posted the Autosport link on the car thread!
197 104 103 7

zibby43

dans79 wrote:
19 Sep 2018, 20:06
zibby43 wrote:
19 Sep 2018, 19:43

I'm aware, i posted the Autosport link on the car thread!
I'm glad you posted it there.

digitalrurouni

Thought this was an interesting read - https://www.motorsport.com/f1/news/merc ... d/3188284/

I read somewhere Ferrari spent even more?!

Sierra117

NIKI LAUDANZ SolidarityCubolligraphy | Instagram | Facebook
#Aerogorn & #Flowramir

PlatinumZealot

What I want to know now is Hamilton firmly number 1 now? Can we expect Valterri to pull over everytime until Hamilton WDC is confirmed?
Haha. As Hamilton supporter I have never in my wildest dreams have this happening. A lot of HAM fans have been wanting this especially in the McLaren days with Button but we never got it. Now do we have it? Feels a little weird if it is finally happening...
🖐️✌️☝️👀👌✍️🐎🏆🙏

GPR-A duplicate2

PlatinumZealot wrote:
06 Oct 2018, 05:15
What I want to know now is Hamilton firmly number 1 now? Can we expect Valterri to pull over everytime until Hamilton WDC is confirmed?
Haha. As Hamilton supporter I have never in my wildest dreams have this happening. A lot of HAM fans have been wanting this especially in the McLaren days with Button but we never got it. Now do we have it? Feels a little weird if it is finally happening...
You would have seen this happening more often, only if there was credible competition from other teams from 2014 to 2016. Rosberg was pulled aside in Monaco 2016 as TEAM deemed it is important to WIN THE GP. There were times when Valtteri was 3 tenths slower and in between he had Ferrari. In the past, even if Nico qualified half a second behind, he used to start 2nd. When Lewis had messed up starts, it was always Nico who used to take advantage. Even when Nico had a bad start, a spin or any such issue, he could easily drive through the field to finish second. So, it made Nico look more competitive than he could have been, if there was a competitive Ferrari or a Red Bull like it has been past 2 years. In the wake of stiff competition, Mercedes had to favor one driver who has a better chances of winning the championship as they are doing now. In current times, I don't think Nico would have done any better than Nico. If he would have qualified the way he did from 2015-2018, he would have found a few cars in between and even if Lewis missed a start, it wouldn't have been Nico who would have taken advantage of it. With that, Lewis had a better chance of staying ahead of Nico and with that, "right to pit first". You see, the whole dimension would have been different.

Big Tea

PlatinumZealot wrote:
Would be better for Merc if Hamilton pulled over for Bottas. That way he could possibly pass Seb and create a 1-2

If Bottas wins a couple Seb can not catch Hamilton anyway
When arguing with a fool, be sure the other person is not doing the same thing.

subcritical71

Big Tea wrote:
06 Oct 2018, 15:43
PlatinumZealot wrote:
Would be better for Merc if Hamilton pulled over for Bottas. That way he could possibly pass Seb and create a 1-2

If Bottas wins a couple Seb can not catch Hamilton anyway
They also might need to start thinking about keeping BOT 3rd position as Kimi is right behind him at the moment.

ringo

I dont think Hamilton should pull over and give bottas a win. Better if Mercedes turns down Hamilton's engine and let Bottas have the pace on him. Bottas is not the type of driver to take handouts. So you have to hand him the win covertly. But i feel Hamilton can have a mechanical DNF or a breakdown in qualifying. He is due some bad luck now. He has been on a really good run recently. Almost as good as vettel in his heyday with redbull.
For Sure!!

Fulcrum

GPR-A wrote:
06 Oct 2018, 11:55
PlatinumZealot wrote:
You would have seen this happening more often, only if there was credible competition from other teams from 2014 to 2016. Rosberg was pulled aside in Monaco 2016 as TEAM deemed it is important to WIN THE GP. There were times when Valtteri was 3 tenths slower and in between he had Ferrari. In the past, even if Nico qualified half a second behind, he used to start 2nd. When Lewis had messed up starts, it was always Nico who used to take advantage. Even when Nico had a bad start, a spin or any such issue, he could easily drive through the field to finish second. So, it made Nico look more competitive than he could have been, if there was a competitive Ferrari or a Red Bull like it has been past 2 years. In the wake of stiff competition, Mercedes had to favor one driver who has a better chances of winning the championship as they are doing now. In current times, I don't think Nico would have done any better than Nico. If he would have qualified the way he did from 2015-2018, he would have found a few cars in between and even if Lewis missed a start, it wouldn't have been Nico who would have taken advantage of it. With that, Lewis had a better chance of staying ahead of Nico and with that, "right to pit first". You see, the whole dimension would have been different.
That works both ways.

In 2016, Rosberg qualified on the front row in every race; Hamilton didn't on 6 occasions (mostly due to car issues, but occasionally due to errors). By your own logic, greater competition from Ferrari or Red Bull would have impaired Hamilton more than Rosberg.

If Rosberg were qualifying as well as he did in 2016, Hamilton would be making more mistakes. He certainly duffed a few starts that year.

Hamilton's operating with little to no pressure from Bottas (imo). If Hamilton nails a lap, he knows its good enough to beat Bottas. I don't get the impression he felt as comfortable when Rosberg was around.

GPR-A

Fulcrum wrote:
06 Oct 2018, 19:59
GPR-A wrote:
06 Oct 2018, 11:55
PlatinumZealot wrote:
That works both ways.

In 2016, Rosberg qualified on the front row in every race; Hamilton didn't on 6 occasions (mostly due to car issues, but occasionally due to errors). By your own logic, greater competition from Ferrari or Red Bull would have impaired Hamilton more than Rosberg.

If Rosberg were qualifying as well as he did in 2016, Hamilton would be making more mistakes. He certainly duffed a few starts that year.

Hamilton's operating with little to no pressure from Bottas (imo). If Hamilton nails a lap, he knows its good enough to beat Bottas. I don't get the impression he felt as comfortable when Rosberg was around.
That point, is what I am contending. In a situation like that of last year's and this, he wouldn't be qualifying on front row AS A GIVEN. Here is the difference between Lewis's pole and Nico's second place in 2016.
Australia - 0.360 second.
Spain - 0.280 second
Austria - 0.543 second
Britain - 0.319 second
Italy - 0.478 second
Malaysia - 0.414 second
USA - 0.216 second
Mexico - 0.254 second
Abu Dhabi - 0.303 second

I have omitted a few instances where the difference was less than a tenth or a tenth and half. All of these were straight forward qualifyings, without any drama for Nico. He took advantage of a double waved yellow to sneak a pole in Hungary, where Lewis was set get a pole and backed out completely to respect the double waved yellow. Azerbaijan, Singapore and Suzuka were the only places where Nico beat Lewis fair and square to pole.

Ask yourself, if the above given was the gap today (specially in the first part of last and this year), would Nico have qualified second. Especially with the Diva W08 and similarly difficult W09 (both for majority of the seasons). If those were the gaps, with a well behaved car and without any pressure of a credible opposition from another team, I would only think that, with difficult cars like W08 and W09 and with such high intensity competition, the gap would have been even bigger. That answers if he would have won those GPs that he won where Lewis fluffed the start.

Just_a_fan

Fulcrum wrote:

And yet in 3 out of 4 seasons, Hamilton was champion. That's rather the point of the Hamilton years - Rosberg pushed Hamilton hard and Hamilton still won 3 out of 4 titles.

Now some can say that Hamilton is rubbish etc., but that would make Rosberg even worse. The same Rosberg that beat Schumacher for three years straight - and comprehensibly schooled him on their first season together. Whatever way you look at it - Hamilton has had more competition than possibly any recent champion in his F1 career. 3 World Champions including one that made the 7-time winner look average. Vettel has had, er, one "old" and past-his-best single title champion.
If you are more fortunate than others, build a larger table not a taller fence.

Fulcrum

Just_a_fan wrote:
07 Oct 2018, 02:13
Fulcrum wrote:

And yet in 3 out of 4 seasons, Hamilton was champion. That's rather the point of the Hamilton years - Rosberg pushed Hamilton hard and Hamilton still won 3 out of 4 titles.

Now some can say that Hamilton is rubbish etc., but that would make Rosberg even worse. The same Rosberg that beat Schumacher for three years straight - and comprehensibly schooled him on their first season together. Whatever way you look at it - Hamilton has had more competition than possibly any recent champion in his F1 career. 3 World Champions including one that made the 7-time winner look average. Vettel has had, er, one "old" and past-his-best single title champion.
I don't quite understand what your point is in relation to mine. I was simply pointing out that, based on the observed data, Rosberg was a more competitive teammate than Bottas.

At no point was I making a qualitative or quantitative assessment of Hamilton's ability.