2018 Mercedes AMG Petronas Formula One Team

This forum contains threads to discuss teams themselves. Anything not technical about the cars, including restructuring, performances etc belongs here.
GPR-A duplicate2

Re: 2018 Mercedes AMG Petronas Formula One Team

Max has a contract with RB until 2020 and Hamilton most likely will extend until 2020 and then Max joining Mercedes is evident for 2021. Ric might be a better option than Bottas as it stands right now.

Two things can happen. If Max continues to outshine Ric, he would lose his stakes and if Bottas overcomes today's misery and starts putting in good performances, then Ric may not stand a chance for a Merc seat.

Sieper

Or Ocon, or Wehrlein, or the british youngster which name escapes (dark hair, intelligent and very confident) me could simply inherit the Bottas Seat.

I actually believe Wehrlein is a top driver.

adb
adb

Sieper wrote:
24 Mar 2018, 10:16
Or Ocon, or Wehrlein, or the british youngster which name escapes (dark hair, intelligent and very confident) me could simply inherit the Bottas Seat.

I actually believe Wehrlein is a top driver.
You probably mean George Russell, GP3 champ, F2 rookie

Sieper

Yep, that’s him, he is really confident and from what i’ve seen so far also rightly so. If Wehrlein had the Seat this year I believe he would have done better then Bottas.

CriXus

I think Mercedes are making a big mistake. Show that "party" engine mode will make FOM (Ross Brawn) more determined to scrap MGU-H. That is main reason of their "party" mode. They should remember one of Alain Prost's quotes - "Without going to what I think is my limit. I always say that my ideal is to get pole with the minimum effort, and to win the race at the slowest speed possible."
“The reasonable man adapts himself to the world: the unreasonable one persists in trying to adapt the world to himself. Therefore all progress depends on the unreasonable man.” - George Bernard Shaw

NoDivergence

CriXus wrote:
24 Mar 2018, 10:59
I think Mercedes are making a big mistake. Show that "party" engine mode will make FOM (Ross Brawn) more determined to scrap MGU-H. That is main reason of their "party" mode. They should remember one of Alain Prost's quotes - "Without going to what I think is my limit. I always say that my ideal is to get pole with the minimum effort, and to win the race at the slowest speed possible."
And yet, they're down on speed traps in every sector

CriXus

NoDivergence wrote:
24 Mar 2018, 11:27
CriXus wrote:
More power gives you the option to put more wings and the loss of 5-6 km/h is not a big deal!
“The reasonable man adapts himself to the world: the unreasonable one persists in trying to adapt the world to himself. Therefore all progress depends on the unreasonable man.” - George Bernard Shaw

johnny comelately

I feel for Valteri Bottas and hope he keeps confidence.
A very good steerer.
It would be very hard being Lewis's teamate and in the Merc team.

Raleigh

Nico struggled against Lewis despite beating Michael quite comprehensively and being at Mercedes for 3 years before Lewis arrived.

Valteri is a talented driver but I don’t envy the fight he has against arguably the best driver on the grid and one who is very comfortable at Mercedes.

GPR-A duplicate2

CriXus wrote:
24 Mar 2018, 11:30
NoDivergence wrote:
CriXus wrote:
More power gives you the option to put more wings and the loss of 5-6 km/h is not a big deal!
Can you explain a little, what does "put more wings" means?

Mercedes never chased the philosophy of adding high downforce as they have chased a design philosophy of efficient downforce (lower Downforce to drag co-efficient) that allows them to perform on a large number of circuits on the calendar. That is evident in the way they have struggled to maintain a lot of advantage (or at times losing out) on circuits like Monaco, Hungary and Singapore. Whereas RB puts a barn door rear wing and keeps crying that Renault lacks the straight line speed.

There was 7 tenths between Merc and RB today. Horner had mentioned that, Renault lacks 40-50 BHP compared Merc PU. That 40-50 BHP should translate to 3 to 4 tenths (based on how good the chassis is). Why are they losing 7 tenths? Why did they lose one full second in Suzuka last year in qualifying, which was always termed as RB circuit because of it's high down force nature?

Photos from today. Compare the rear wing size and the front wing AoA. One need to know that the high rake philosophy comes with additional drag penalty.

It's time people should give up on this myth of RB is the best chassis and start acknowledging that the Mercedes chassis is also the class of the field, along with it's PU. There are too many parameters for a good chassis and Mercedes is excelling on all those, which makes it use the tyres in the most optimum manner over a lap. With PIRELLI tyre performance being so sensitive, any problems in how the car treats it's tyres throughout a lap, would kill the performance.
Last edited by GPR-A duplicate2 on 24 Mar 2018, 19:12, edited 1 time in total.

NoDivergence

CriXus wrote:
NoDivergence wrote:
CriXus wrote:
So why isn't Ferrari running more wing?

NoDivergence

GPR-A wrote:
24 Mar 2018, 19:05
CriXus wrote:
NoDivergence wrote:

Mercedes never chased the philosophy of adding high downforce as they have chased a design philosophy of efficient downforce (lower Downforce to drag co-efficient) that allows them to perform on a large number of circuits on the calendar. That is evident in the way they have struggled to maintain a lot of advantage (or at times losing out) on circuits like Monaco, Hungary and Singapore. Whereas RB puts a barn door rear wing and keeps crying that Renault lacks the straight line speed.

Photos from today. Compare the rear wing size and the front wing AoA. One need to know that the high rake philosophy comes with additional drag penalty.
https://s9.postimg.org/4mifd55jj/compare.png
Agreed, Redbull love to make excuses, but their entire car design is inherently draggy, even without considering the wings.

muramasa

GPR-A wrote:

Mercedes never chased the philosophy of adding high downforce as they have chased a design philosophy of efficient downforce (lower Downforce to drag co-efficient) that allows them to perform on a large number of circuits on the calendar.
Exactly, "Merc can afford to put more drag (by more wings or bits) coz of powerful PU" is a myth. Merc tends to have visibly shallower wing compared with Merc customers as well as some others, for instance Manor in 2016 always ran with very primitive draggy thick rear wing, that's because the car was so poor that they had to put wing, and for Manor's case you can say they can put wing coz of PU. But not Merc, for sure Merc tends to be behind its customers in speed trap because even tho downforce comes from GE, downforce is a weight of air hence comes with resistance (Manor being straight end speed king means lack of overall df = resistance is so big that the car just couldnt help going fast at straight end even with thick draggy wing and despite much slower corner exit speed), but still almost equal and occasionally surpass them, that's because Merc's overall aero efficiency is just so good.

GPR-A duplicate2

muramasa wrote:
24 Mar 2018, 19:28
GPR-A wrote:

Mercedes never chased the philosophy of adding high downforce as they have chased a design philosophy of efficient downforce (lower Downforce to drag co-efficient) that allows them to perform on a large number of circuits on the calendar.
Exactly, "Merc can afford to put more drag (by more wings or bits) coz of powerful PU" is a myth. Merc tends to have visibly shallower wing compared with Merc customers as well as some others, for instance Manor in 2016 always ran with very primitive draggy thick rear wing, that's because the car was so poor that they had to put wing, and for Manor's case you can say they can put wing coz of PU. But not Merc, for sure Merc tends to be behind its customers in speed trap because even tho downforce comes from GE, downforce is a weight of air hence comes with resistance (Manor being straight end speed king means lack of overall df = resistance is so big that the car just couldnt help going fast at straight end even with thick draggy wing and despite much slower corner exit speed), but still almost equal and occasionally surpass them, that's because Merc's overall aero efficiency is just so good.
Talking about just chassis, this year, they don't have Shark fin, T-wing and Monkey seat and on top of that, now bearing the excess weight of Halo and yet, Lewis was flying through the corners.

NoDivergence

Hamilton gaining ALL the time from the corners. Ferrari is lacking downforce, NOT engine power.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?time_cont ... VOAg-YV0wk