2018 Force India F1 Team - Mercedes

This forum contains threads to discuss teams themselves. Anything not technical about the cars, including restructuring, performances etc belongs here.
Big Tea

Re: 2018 Force India F1 Team - Mercedes

F1NAC wrote:
07 Aug 2018, 19:57
So Lawrence Stroll is buying shares at FI?
The team's management, backed by a consortium of investors led by Lawrence Stroll, have secured the future of the team
From Sky
addition to Stroll, the consortium includes Canadian entrepreneur Andre Desmarais, Jonathan Dudman of Monaco Sports and Management, fashion business leader John Idol, telecommunications investor John McCaw Jr, financial expert Michael de Picciotto, businessman Lawrence Stroll and his business partner Silas Chou

Administrator Geoff Rowley added: "All creditors will be paid in full, all jobs will be preserved, and the team will have significant funding to invest in its future.

"Funding to support the team will be made available from today, and significantly more will be available once the company emerges from administration which we expect within the next two to three weeks.
When arguing with a fool, be sure the other person is not doing the same thing.

dren

Excellent that the FI team is being saved. So, now, what does this spell for the drivers? Surely Stroll will want to put his son in a seat. Perhaps a straight swap with Ocon? I can see Perez being retained since he sparked the team being placed into administration.
Honda!

foxmulder_ms

So, this means the team is owned by Stroll, now?

dren

foxmulder_ms wrote:
07 Aug 2018, 21:12
It's owned by a group of people lead by Stroll.
Honda!

Big Tea

foxmulder_ms wrote:
It says in the Sky article that it was done in conjunction with 'Senior management of Force India'
Depending on which way you read it, he could become the chairman, team principle or just in the background pulling strings ( as with Ojjeh at Mclaren )

He does not have technical Knowledge so I assume 'that half' of the structure is out, and same for the day-to-day running. If they have the sense they will keep as many of the current set up in the same place as they possibly can.
Even if they make it clear the structure will be re-examined next year when they know more.

foxmulder_ms

Driver market is becoming more lively now :)

Big Tea

dren wrote:
07 Aug 2018, 21:16
foxmulder_ms wrote:
It's owned by a group of people lead by Stroll.
They will not necessarily 'own' it, just bail it out and grantee it operating capitol. Restructuring will cone later, when we see how many votes go to who.

Big Tea

Passing thought. Perez is owed a considerable sum (by the sound of it), will he want cash or buy into the team?
I don't think he is short of pocket money, and if it grantees his drive, may be worth considering from both sides.

marmer

Big Tea wrote:
07 Aug 2018, 21:26
Passing thought. Perez is owed a considerable sum (by the sound of it), will he want cash or buy into the team?
I don't think he is short of pocket money, and if it grantees his drive, may be worth considering from both sides.
I think he is in a tight spot. He will want to be in F1 next year so won't want to burn any bridges but there are not many seats going. If he burns bridge at force India he is basically hoping either Williams get better or Haas drop Roman

Jackles-UK

If Haas drop Romain then I would think Leclerc will fill that seat (as I think Kimi is now a certainty for at least one more season) and Ferrari will arrange to allow Giovanazzi a bash in the Sauber. Perez has some leverage to nail himself into a seat alongside Stroll for 2019 too.

Ocon will then only realistically be left with a Williams seat or a role as a development driver if Mercedes want someone like George Russell to step up as (what could turn out to be) the reigning F2 champion. Nervous times for Ocon, Grosjean and Sainz all of a sudden.

Any ideas as to the name of the new team? Do any of the new investors have any existing race team ties in the way that Gene Haas/Zak Brown do?

Big Tea

Jackles-UK wrote:
07 Aug 2018, 22:00
If Haas drop Romain then I would think Leclerc will fill that seat (as I think Kimi is now a certainty for at least one more season) and Ferrari will arrange to allow Giovanazzi a bash in the Sauber. Perez has some leverage to nail himself into a seat alongside Stroll for 2019 too.

Ocon will then only realistically be left with a Williams seat or a role as a development driver if Mercedes want someone like George Russell to step up as (what could turn out to be) the reigning F2 champion. Nervous times for Ocon, Grosjean and Sainz all of a sudden.

Any ideas as to the name of the new team? Do any of the new investors have any existing race team ties in the way that Gene Haas/Zak Brown do?
I think that to keep money they are entitled to, and probably for sponsors reasons, they will have to keep the same name, (maybe with something added) for at least the rest of this year

Big Tea

Big Tea wrote:
07 Aug 2018, 22:26
Jackles-UK wrote:
07 Aug 2018, 22:00

I think that to keep money they are entitled to, and probably for sponsors reasons, they will have to keep the same name, (maybe with something added) for at least the rest of this year
Edit. I think this also applies to their 'entry' into the races.

NAPI10

What about issue with FIA price money (some 150M) for next 3 years? Is it resolved or new owners will let it go?

IamLegend

Seems like a loan to get the team out of admistration first which will eventually lead to a take over.

https://www.formula1.com/en/latest/head ... tion-.html