2018 Renault Sport F1 Team

This forum contains threads to discuss teams themselves. Anything not technical about the cars, including restructuring, performances etc belongs here.
apexcontrol

Re: 2018 Renault Sport F1 Team

zeph wrote:
03 Aug 2018, 22:31
Ricciardo on the team is a big win for Renault.

It would be delicious if they were to beat RBR next year, sort of retribution for all the garbage they had to take from them in 2015.
Well that would be something, but then renault has to do something special.
Beating top 3 when they are more the sec behind on all of them.

How would that be possible
I know garbage. Its called renault PU

bill shoe

Schuttelberg wrote:
03 Aug 2018, 22:11
I see Hulkenberg is going to surprise a lot of people on this board next year!
I hope he does! It would mean Renault has a second driver at the level of Daniel (or higher than Daniel?, doubt it, but let's leave that possibility open).

PhillipM

You're assuming Red Bull is as fast next year with a new engine install. Yes, they've had a year of data from TR but RB's packaging is so much tighter that won't preclude issues.

Mansell89

This move is a huge bluff caller all around.

Max V has to justify RBR default no.1 position with them.
Ricci has to prove himself in a different chassis against another great team mate.
Renault (team) have two great drivers and Zero hiding places for their PU/car performance
Honda have to deliver competitive reliability for RBR

Let the games begin!

apexcontrol

Mansell89 wrote:
04 Aug 2018, 00:48

Ricci has to prove himself in a different chassis against another great team mate.
Renault (team) have two great drivers and Zero hiding places for their PU/car performance

Let the games begin!
Agree!!!

diffuser

PhillipM wrote:
04 Aug 2018, 00:46
You're assuming Red Bull is as fast next year with a new engine install. Yes, they've had a year of data from TR but RB's packaging is so much tighter that won't preclude issues.
RBR has a ton of stuff up above the PU that there will no longer be space for. so, agreed, they're gonna have to repackage. We have no idea if all that will be ready right away plus all the reg changes.

bill shoe

Mansell89 wrote:
04 Aug 2018, 00:48

Let the games begin!
Yes!, willingness to change in F1 always exposes your performance. This is why I highly respected McLaren's decision to ditch Honda and go with Renault. They knew there would be no excuses to hide behind come good times, bad times, whatever.

Ricci's change exposes himself, Max, RB, and Renault. Awesome, people puttin' asses on the line!

Phil

Schuttelberg wrote:
03 Aug 2018, 22:11
I see Hulkenberg is going to surprise a lot of people on this board next year!
This. Very much. And i hope so too!
Not for nothing, Rosberg's Championship is the only thing that lends credibility to Hamilton's recent success. Otherwise, he'd just be the guy who's had the best car. — bhall II
#Team44 supporter

Mansell89

Hulk and Ricc is right up there as a pairing. Is there a stronger partnership on the grid?

It’s interesting that Ricc has made his decision after the Honda news came and then some new style front wings were tried in Hungary.

Given the phenomenal front end on the Red Bull, will the new regs compromise Newey next season? (I’m sure he will find a way around it in the end like he always does!)

Wild speculation on my part but thought it was worth asking some of you technical guys.

Andres125sx

I think Hulkemberg is underated, if we look at Hul-Sai comparison with Renault, and Ver-Sai comparison with STR, I don´t see Max beating Sainz any more consistently than Hulkemberg did. If we all agree Max is that fast.... Hulkemberg should be too.

Also, Alonso always mention Hulkemberg as a very talented driver who has never made a podium when he´s asked about his own situation in McLaren and how does he cope with a poor car when he´s one of the top drivers in the grid. He always says there are other very talented drivers who has never enjoied top cars so he consider himself a lucky guy. He must know something I´d say and Hulkemberg is always the first on his list when talking about this sort of situations. People usually say if he´s never been on a top team that must mean he´s not that good, but IMHO it is not that straight forward. All three top teams already have top drivers, that´s the only reason Alonso is driving this poorMcLaren, and Hulkemberg for Renault.

And Renault is a works team, something people frequently ignore

PhillipM

Well...two people have jumped ship from the honda teams back to renault ones after spending a lot of time asking about what they see happening next year vs what they're expecting from Renault.
Read into that what you will.

For me, with Renault piling ever more resources into the team, next year looks interesting.

Hulk is fast when he's pushed, him and Ricciardo might be the perfect pairing, neither are hotheaded enough to get into squabbling matches on or off track, etc.

Andres125sx

Anycase I agree it will be a very interesting battle, both Hulkemberg and Ricciardo toghether with Max, and maybe Lecrerc if he continue with this perfomance, are best of the rest IMO and I´m very interested to see if they really can match top three (Ham, Vet and Alo) perfomance

Andres125sx

PhillipM wrote:
04 Aug 2018, 12:40
Well...two people have jumped ship from the honda teams back to renault ones after spending a lot of time asking about what they see happening next year vs what they're expecting from Renault.
Read into that what you will.

For me, with Renault piling ever more resources into the team, next year looks interesting.

Hulk is fast when he's pushed, him and Ricciardo might be the perfect pairing, neither are hotheaded enough to get into squabbling matches on or off track, etc.
Agree, Renault is improving consistently for several seasons now, next year they may join the top three if progress contiune at this rate or at least get very close. Depending how RBR-Honda perform they might even beat them

McMika98

More like they were getting double the money and may not have as much expectation. Win and only win situation.
Haas is quicker than Renault and looks like Sauber will be up there. They have a lot to invest before they can challenge the top three.

adrianjordan

Always had a soft spot for the Enstone team throughout it's various guises, so I'm happy to see one of my favourite drivers going there.

I hope this pays off for him.
Favourite driver: Lando Norris
Favourite team: McLaren

Turned down the chance to meet Vettel at Silverstone in 2007. He was a test driver at the time and I didn't think it was worth queuing!! 🤦🏻‍♂️