2018 Aston Martin Red Bull Racing - Tag Heuer (Renault)

This forum contains threads to discuss teams themselves. Anything not technical about the cars, including restructuring, performances etc belongs here.
epo

Re: 2018 Aston Martin Red Bull Racing - Tag Heuer (Renault)

Post by epo » Sat Jun 02, 2018 7:15 pm

Phil wrote:
Sat Jun 02, 2018 6:50 pm
I'm especially curious to see how the intra-team-dynamics continue at RedBull. No doubt, Verstappen is the guy to beat on pure pace, but at the moment he is driving with huge risk for reward, while his team-mate seems to just nail that good balance of getting the most out of himself with little error. Right now, Daniel has more than double the points of Max.

After 6 races:

1: Lewis Hamilton 110
2. Sebastian Vettel 96 (-14)
3. Daniel Ricciardo 72 (-38)
4. Valtteri Bottas 68 (-42)
5. Kimi Raikkonen 60 (-50)
6. Max Verstappen 35 (-75)

Considering how consistent both Hamilton and Vettel are running, even if Max were to win the next 3 races could not take the lead in the championship, not even by a long shot, unless you assume both Lewis and Seb failing to score points in all of the next 3 races. That's already a huge gap...

RedBull have gone all out in giving Max a huge long-term contract, while Daniel, the guy who is 3rd in the championship and 37 points ahead of his team-mate, does not. Surely, they will not do team-orders, but you do have to wonder....
Because Ricciardo didn't want to sign a new contract last year and wanted to see his options first this year.
And Max his contract is not that special compared to the Mercedes or Ferrari drivers.

sn809

Post by sn809 » Sun Jun 03, 2018 6:35 am

Horner has stated all RBR contracts come with heavy performance bonus. The Monaco loss is stinging Max so much as he was sure to get a huge Payout.

Webber2011

Post by Webber2011 » Sun Jun 03, 2018 12:09 pm

sn809 wrote:
Sun Jun 03, 2018 6:35 am
Horner has stated all RBR contracts come with heavy performance bonus. The Monaco loss is stinging Max so much as he was sure to get a huge Payout.
Reckon we've all known that RBR pays big bonuses instead of big salary for a while now.
They've been doing that for years from what I can tell.
Reliable estimates put the figure at 1 million bonus per win per driver 😯

PlatinumZealot

Post by PlatinumZealot » Mon Jun 04, 2018 3:06 am

Yes i have heard that fugure touted before.
"The true champions are also great men. They are capable of making difficult decisions, of admitting their mistakes and of pushing harder than before when they get up from a fall."

- Ferrari chairman Sergio Marchionne

godlameroso

Post by godlameroso » Mon Jun 04, 2018 3:16 am

Max will come out alright. Riccardo is closer to Max's raw pace but not quite there yet. Max should focus on finishing and the results will come.
The height of cultivation is really nothing special. It is merely simplicity; the ability to express the utmost with the minimum. Mr.Lee

GhostF1

Post by GhostF1 » Mon Jun 04, 2018 10:05 pm

https://www.autosport.com/f1/news/13652 ... id-penalty

The K was not salvageable after all. Renault bringing up the first grid penalties this year..

Hopefully Dan has a blinder and recovers to a healthy position.

AJI

Post by AJI » Mon Jun 04, 2018 11:15 pm

Hopefully Dan has a blinder and recovers to a healthy position.
He's always interesting to watch from the back of the field. With a strategic Q2 tyre choice, a new K and ES and upgraded ICE, he'll be up there.
Throw in a safety car on lap 2, a free mid race pit stop under VSC and a Ferrari strategy fail and he could end up on the podium...

carisi2k

Post by carisi2k » Tue Jun 05, 2018 1:25 am

Will Red Bull actually take the new engine in canada when it would involve another penalty for max at the minimum and probably a penalty for Daniel as well. My thinking is that they will wait till austria since that is a bit of a power circuit.

GhostF1

Post by GhostF1 » Tue Jun 05, 2018 2:41 am

carisi2k wrote:
Tue Jun 05, 2018 1:25 am
Will Red Bull actually take the new engine in canada when it would involve another penalty for max at the minimum and probably a penalty for Daniel as well. My thinking is that they will wait till austria since that is a bit of a power circuit.
It's possible, if they are already taking at least a 10 stop penalty (15+ if the energy store or control electronics need doing also, which I have a feeling will happen), taking the extra places for a whole new PU is surely worth it, it also means they can keep the current spec in the pool for less power hungry tracks.

djos

Post by djos » Tue Jun 05, 2018 2:48 am

Quote from Newey:
Newey also refuted suggestions the MGU-K in Ricciardo’s car is salvageable.

“I rather doubt it, considering it caught fire and was a burnt out, charred wreck,” Newey told Reuters.

“I would be somewhat surprised at that one.”

“He will definitely be taking some penalties in Montreal, we haven’t heard at the moment just how many,” he added.
Sounds like Renault have been smoking crack again!

https://www.speedcafe.com/2018/06/05/ri ... es-canada/
The impossible often has a kind of integrity which the merely improbable lacks.

baybars

Re: Renault V6 Power Unit

Post by baybars » Tue Jun 05, 2018 9:47 am

I think Ricciardo have one spare MGU-K.
He suffered turbo problem China fp3 but all unit was changed because of time

iichel

Re: Renault V6 Power Unit

Post by iichel » Tue Jun 05, 2018 10:42 am

RIC is said to take a grid penalty at Canada for the 3rd MGU-K
https://uk.reuters.com/article/uk-motor ... KKCN1J02NL

dxpetrov

Post by dxpetrov » Tue Jun 05, 2018 1:42 pm

GhostF1 wrote:
Tue Jun 05, 2018 2:41 am
carisi2k wrote:
It's possible, if they are already taking at least a 10 stop penalty (15+ if the energy store or control electronics need doing also, which I have a feeling will happen), taking the extra places for a whole new PU is surely worth it, it also means they can keep the current spec in the pool for less power hungry tracks.
Nonsense. There is no penalty for taking another PU as long as it's withing allotted season's pool. They can take any of the allowed elements anytime, of course it would mean compromising later races. It's not up to Renault to decide either, if RBR wanted new engine. It's part of their the strategic choice to inquire engine using the best possible spec available, which is becoming now, in Canada, as per Renault's announcement.

carisi2k

Post by carisi2k » Wed Jun 06, 2018 6:56 am

dxpetrov wrote:
Tue Jun 05, 2018 1:42 pm
GhostF1 wrote:
Tue Jun 05, 2018 2:41 am
carisi2k wrote:
Nonsense. There is no penalty for taking another PU as long as it's withing allotted season's pool. They can take any of the allowed elements anytime, of course it would mean compromising later races. It's not up to Renault to decide either, if RBR wanted new engine. It's part of their the strategic choice to inquire engine using the best possible spec available, which is becoming now, in Canada, as per Renault's announcement.
Daniel is already at his limit for K and battery and since his mgu-k was burnt to a crisp he will unfortunately have no choice but to take penalties.

PhillipM

Post by PhillipM » Wed Jun 06, 2018 12:07 pm

Yes, but he wouldn't get to take the hit for a full PU here if he swapped it all, as the rest of the engine would just come out of the allocation for the year.