2018 Aston Martin Red Bull Racing - Tag Heuer (Renault)

This forum contains threads to discuss teams themselves. Anything not technical about the cars, including restructuring, performances etc belongs here.
f1316
f1316

Re: 2018 Aston Martin Red Bull Racing - Tag Heuer (Renault)

Very interested to see Ricciardo up against Hulkenberg - great chance for Hulk to show how good he is, and I think DR will struggle to consistently outqualify him; races may be different.

Surely it has to be Sainz to RB? I’d be very surprised if it were anything else.

djos

digitalrurouni wrote:
03 Aug 2018, 13:36
Picking up my jaw from the floor with the Ric-Renault situation!!
Me too, Ferrari would be easy to understand, but maybe Renault showed him their investment pipeline and promised to build the team around him.
"In downforce we trust"

RonDennis
RonDennis

djos wrote:
03 Aug 2018, 13:39
digitalrurouni wrote:
03 Aug 2018, 13:36
Picking up my jaw from the floor with the Ric-Renault situation!!
Me too, Ferrari would be easy to understand, but maybe Renault showed him their investment pipeline and promised to build the team around him.
Renault has said several times that they're still rebuilding and that the budget will be increased yearly.

djos

marvin78 wrote:
03 Aug 2018, 13:38
djos wrote:
03 Aug 2018, 13:35
etusch wrote:
03 Aug 2018, 13:33
Motorsports says Ricci has an agreement with renault.
I guess he wants to be team leader, Hulk is good but not quite in Ric's class.
From what do you get that?
Hulk is a very very good driver and I'm a fan of his, but I base my opinion on Dan's overtaking ability under braking, that's next level stuff.
"In downforce we trust"

marvin78
marvin78

djos wrote:
03 Aug 2018, 13:42
marvin78 wrote:
djos wrote:

Hulk is a very very good driver and I'm a fan of his, but I base my opinion on Dan's overtaking ability under braking, that's next level stuff.
And you are 100% sure that this is not because he has a superior car under braking? Let's see how he does in another car. I accept your opinion but I think it's based on very thin ice.

PhillipM
PhillipM

M840TR wrote:

They put a new mgu-k in Alonso’s car but it was the old version. Only Renault use the new one because it, conveniently for them, requires changes to packaging that don’t suit Mclaren and Redbull designs.
And Vandoorne had the new design fitted at the same time. And both cars have been running it ever since.

djos

marvin78 wrote:
03 Aug 2018, 13:51
djos wrote:
marvin78 wrote:

And you are 100% sure that this is not because he has a superior car under braking? Let's see how he does in another car. I accept your opinion but I think it's based on very thin ice.
I think most ppl would agree Max has more natural speed, but Dan consistently pulls off the best moves on opponents without causing accidents or forcing opposing drivers off the circuit. He does this with a combination of fair car placement and superb timing.

So I base my opinion on his driving record compared to his team mate.
"In downforce we trust"

bill shoe
bill shoe

Way to go Daniel! Renault is definitely a team on the upswing. They will clearly be one of the top 4 teams from next season on, and only question is whether they will be race winners over next season or two.

I didn't want Daniel to submit himself to (what many people consider) the RB-management control and favoritism. On paper everything is relentlessly equal, yet when "incidents" occur RB management somehow always sees things differently than the majority of the paddock, yes? Webber tried to make the last couple years of his F1 career work in RB despite understanding this culture, and it just about drained him of will to live.

I think Daniel will be step up on Hulk almost from beginning, but will be great to watch.

f1316
f1316

djos wrote:
marvin78 wrote:
djos wrote:

I’d just say that this is the ideal thing for Hulk - he knows the team and the car and most people accept that Ricciardo is a top driver; if he outperforms him anything close to how he has Sainz - or even if he just matches DR - that will reflect very well on Hulk and his stock will rise.

Ground Effect
Ground Effect

PhillipM wrote:
03 Aug 2018, 13:54
M840TR wrote:

They put a new mgu-k in Alonso’s car but it was the old version. Only Renault use the new one because it, conveniently for them, requires changes to packaging that don’t suit Mclaren and Redbull designs.
And Vandoorne had the new design fitted at the same time. And both cars have been running it ever since.
Fernando took a new MGU-K in Austria, since he was starting from the pitlane, but was the old spec. So, I'd have to assume Stoffel's on the old spec as well. I know he took one at the start of the weekend.

https://www.formula1.com/en/latest/head ... start.html
Q: (Stefano Mancini – La Stampa) Kimi, will you help Vettel to win his championship this year?
Kimi Raikkonen: I can only drive one car, obviously. 
@2018 Singapore Grand Prix drivers press conference.

PhillipM
PhillipM

Ground Effect
Ground Effect

Tough week for the Red Bull family, loosing to top assets in a couple of days, James Key and now Ricciardo. I wonder if they'll consider Ocon as a replacement for Ricciardo. He's proved his worth, doing a great job at Force India, the only problem is he and Max have history, and not a good one.
Q: (Stefano Mancini – La Stampa) Kimi, will you help Vettel to win his championship this year?
Kimi Raikkonen: I can only drive one car, obviously. 
@2018 Singapore Grand Prix drivers press conference.

restless
restless

can they get Sainz into RB? afaik he is on lease to Renault
Or, they can trade Sainz to Mclaren, give a place to Norris in TR and promote Gasly to main team
Suddenly lots of possibilities for pilots and teams :)

astracrazy
astracrazy

Ground Effect wrote:
03 Aug 2018, 15:32
Tough week for the Red Bull family, loosing to top assets in a couple of days, James Key and now Ricciardo. I wonder if they'll consider Ocon as a replacement for Ricciardo. He's proved his worth, doing a great job at Force India, the only problem is he and Max have history, and not a good one.
Ocon is part of Mercedes isn't he? If that is still the case not a chance.

Likely it will be Carlos. If it was me I would put Carlos in there for at least 1 year and see how good Gasly is in his second year in TR and go from there. They must rate Carlos otherwise they would have let him go not leased him.

I've read some suggestions of Alonso, but surely if Red Bull go outside there academy then it will be its downfall? Is that not the whole point of that structure through the formulas? And also, the team is pretty toxic on its day with Marko as it is, let alone with Alonso too.

F1NAC

I wonder what explanation will be there. Basically Ricciardo-RB deal sounded done these few days