2018 Aston Martin Red Bull Racing - Tag Heuer (Renault)

This forum contains threads to discuss teams themselves. Anything not technical about the cars, including restructuring, performances etc belongs here.
flmkane
flmkane

Re: 2018 Aston Martin Red Bull Racing - Tag Heuer (Renault)

Zynerji wrote:
07 Aug 2018, 13:43
flmkane wrote:
07 Aug 2018, 05:36
Zynerji wrote:
07 Aug 2018, 03:37

What breach of contract? All Redbull drivers serve at Marko's whim.

And, if they are secure in third, giving their future driver experience in the team with the hopes of a title push next year is smart.

Who cares about Vettel in this context.
Red Bull would get their pants sued off in court. Like Sauber and VDG.

As far as the law is concerned, the F1 team is just a marketing tool for an energy drinks company. Courts won't grovel down to Helmut Marko
You apparently have zero understanding of how Redbull operates... :wtf: It's almost childlike.
If you think a driver of Ricciardo's caliber would have a contract that allows him to be demoted to STR without legal consequences , it's your delusion, not mine

Zynerji

flmkane wrote:
08 Aug 2018, 00:17
Zynerji wrote:
flmkane wrote:

As far as the law is concerned, the F1 team is just a marketing tool for an energy drinks company. Courts won't grovel down to Helmut Marko
You apparently have zero understanding of how Redbull operates... :wtf: It's almost childlike.
If you think a driver of Ricciardo's caliber would have a contract that allows him to be demoted to STR without legal consequences , it's your delusion, not mine
I think the delusion is in your belief that you can speak of a confidential document with any certainty.

My speculation is based upon historic contracts at RBR. Yours is based upon nothing but your imagination.

marmer
marmer

flmkane wrote:
Zynerji wrote:
flmkane wrote:

There is every possiblity that it's not mentioned in his contract. Whenever he signed the last deal it might not have crossed his mind that it was even a possibility

Cold Fussion
Cold Fussion

marmer wrote:
08 Aug 2018, 06:22
flmkane wrote:
Zynerji wrote:

There is every possiblity that it's not mentioned in his contract. Whenever he signed the last deal it might not have crossed his mind that it was even a possibility
If such a possibility never crossed his mind then he should fire his agent immediately.

roon
roon

Zynerji wrote:
08 Aug 2018, 05:12
flmkane wrote:
Zynerji wrote:

I think the delusion is in your belief that you can speak of a confidential document with any certainty.

My speculation is based upon historic contracts at RBR. Yours is based upon nothing but your imagination.
You as well are using imagination. Neither of you know what is in the document. You're both extrapolating from observations and experience. I wouldn't say either of you is delusional, just making best guesses. To which both seem plausible.

TwanV
TwanV

roon wrote:
07 Aug 2018, 20:29
Just_a_fan wrote:
07 Aug 2018, 19:21
Laserguru wrote:
07 Aug 2018, 17:39
Either way It sounds like an emotional decision to me.
Maybe he just doesn't want to be the next Mark Webber at RedBull with Max taking the Vettel role. Can't say I blame him for that.

It could also be a "Lewis moment" - go to a team that is looking like it's getting better in the hope that there's enough there to mould the team around himself. Let's face it, if Renault do find something in the next year or two, he'll be well placed to benefit from it. If they don't, he's no worse off than he is now anyway.
It will be difficult to unseat Merc and Ferrari. And the best chassis and aero on the grid looks to be getting a better engine. I think Ric just wants different teammates. Who knows if he'll see podiums again. Maybe he's choosing dignity over competitiveness.
Sorry.. dignity over competitiveness? He mishandled his team, got into trouble for that, and as a result went to Renault as they are prepared to pay him 35 MMUSD/year. He's not taking time off or making a 'Lewis' move, Renault is not Mercedes. He's cashing in. There, I said it.

I think he is making a mistake by the way, I don't think he's faster than Hulkenberg.
Last edited by TwanV on 08 Aug 2018, 09:53, edited 2 times in total.

roon
roon

TwanV wrote:
08 Aug 2018, 09:43
Sorry.. dignity over competitiveness?
Only in the sense of: if he felt he was becoming the second driver and/or was facing a potential demotion (as some others here speculate).

Not saying this is what's going on for certain, hence the "Maybe..."

In what sense do you think he "mishandled the team"? Is that a reference to his complaints about qualifying order drafting? From a few weeks back.

TwanV
TwanV

roon wrote:
08 Aug 2018, 09:49
TwanV wrote:
In what sense do you think he "mishandled the team"? Is that a reference to his complaints about qualifying order drafting? From a few weeks back.
Agreed roon. He mishandled the team in my opinion by openly preferring a Ferrari or Mercedes seat. He miscalculated by thinking both these teams would want him, and when he got a reality check and lost his bargaining position, still went for a single-year contract, again basically saying: "I want to leave this team". So my guess is he left for the money as I don't think RB would have offered him much after that.

roon
roon

TwanV wrote:
08 Aug 2018, 09:58
He mishandled the team in my opinion by openly preferring a Ferrari or Mercedes seat.
He said this?

TwanV wrote:
He miscalculated by thinking both these teams would want him, and when he got a reality check and lost his bargaining position, still went for a single-year contract, again basically saying: "I want to leave this team". So my guess is he left for the money as I don't think RB would have offered him much after that.
Sorry for the basic question: 2018 was a single year contract with RB?

djos

TwanV wrote:
roon wrote:
08 Aug 2018, 09:49
TwanV wrote:
Agreed roon. He mishandled the team in my opinion by openly preferring a Ferrari or Mercedes seat. He miscalculated by thinking both these teams would want him, and when he got a reality check and lost his bargaining position, still went for a single-year contract, again basically saying: "I want to leave this team". So my guess is he left for the money as I don't think RB would have offered him much after that.
You are wrong, RedBull themselves have confirmed they offered Dan complete contact parity right down to salary and bonuses.
"In downforce we trust"

TwanV
TwanV

They might have made that offer at the start of the season but after the Ferrari/Mercedes options evaporated, I doubt it still stood. But let's assume you're right because it would avoid any sour faces within the team, parity is also at least a 2 year deal. Furthermore, VES salary intel suggest a range from 10-20 MMEUR, whatever it may be its nowhere near the Renault offer.

TwanV
TwanV

roon wrote:
08 Aug 2018, 10:07
TwanV wrote:
He mishandled the team in my opinion by openly preferring a Ferrari or Mercedes seat.
He said this?

TwanV wrote:
He miscalculated by thinking both these teams would want him, and when he got a reality check and lost his bargaining position, still went for a single-year contract, again basically saying: "I want to leave this team". So my guess is he left for the money as I don't think RB would have offered him much after that.
Sorry for the basic question: 2018 was a single year contract with RB?
Roon: https://www.news.com.au/sport/motorspor ... 34bf2c0ce9

alexx_88
alexx_88

You can easily rationalize Dan's logic on this, even without a pay difference from Renault.

On average, do we all agree that Max is faster over one lap? I think statistics show this to be the case. Now imagine RB is the fastest car of the field, even by a small margin. Statistics say Dan would start behind Max more often than not. Max would get first choice in strategy which usually translates into finishing ahead of his teammate. Ric's only chance would be to either be much faster on used tires than Max is on new tires or to overtake him on track.

As I said more than once, I'm a big Ric fan, but this formula, when it comes to racing against teammates, qualifying is the way to finish ahead and Dan lacks that extra tenth against Max. For all we know, Max could have an extra tenth over everyone in the field, but seeing Ric against Hulk should provide at least some answers in that direction.

Sieper

alexx_88 wrote:
08 Aug 2018, 10:39
You can easily rationalize Dan's logic on this, even without a pay difference from Renault.

On average, do we all agree that Max is faster over one lap? I think statistics show this to be the case. Now imagine RB is the fastest car of the field, even by a small margin. Statistics say Dan would start behind Max more often than not. Max would get first choice in strategy which usually translates into finishing ahead of his teammate. Ric's only chance would be to either be much faster on used tires than Max is on new tires or to overtake him on track.

As I said more than once, I'm a big Ric fan, but this formula, when it comes to racing against teammates, qualifying is the way to finish ahead and Dan lacks that extra tenth against Max. For all we know, Max could have an extra tenth over everyone in the field, but seeing Ric against Hulk should provide at least some answers in that direction.
Max has done just that over 20 times I would guestimate (overtake Ricci on track) over their time together whilst Ricci has only ever accomplished that in Baku (with a tow and DRS in headwind that was neigh on imposssible to fend off) this year (or at a start melee when Kimi pushed Max into the astro turf at Hungary last year). Just from memory. The first year together their qualy battle was still close (in the begin Ric had the overhand, only when Max started to go for his own set-up he turned it around). Every race where they are on similar set-ups we see max being that bit faster. The B strategy (or shall we say the alternative option) is not per definition the worse one (like we saw in spain 2016, where Ric blamed it all on having the poor strategy, but his tires exploded even after having an extra pitstop and both Vettel and Him were on the A strategy (Kimi and Max on B) and Max took his much older tires to the finish. I might have misinterpret (becuae being able to start in front indeed is a major advantage) but you make it sound like it is a done deal only due to circumstances but I feel Max just is better, not only over 1 lap. The reason that Ric outscored Max is that he is a great driver in his own right and he is always looking to maximize the points whilst Max is looking to fight for a win if he can (as long as WDC is out of sight). This year f.e. Max clashed with Hamilton in both Bahrein and China (costing him the win) Ricci would have never done that. In China he only took a gamble for the win with Bottas, but with Hamilton he just waited until he could blow by. That is also something Max still has to learn, eventhough he was already at the tail of Hamilton (and all over him with thee fresh tires) just wait until the unstoppable opportunity Is there. Max then just goes for it sometimes still too soon. I hope Ricci will finish this season with RBR (Jake Dennis is making an announcement tomorrow according to his twitter acount) and them both can battle it out and see who gets the most points.

Ric will be faster than the Hulk though, I expect.

NathanOlder

Jake Dennis has been away from single seaters for a few years now , what are you expecting ?
GoLandoGo
Lewis v2.0
King George has arrived.

New found love for GT racing with Assetto Corsa Competizione on PS5 & PC