2018 Scuderia Ferrari F1 Team

This forum contains threads to discuss teams themselves. Anything not technical about the cars, including restructuring, performances etc belongs here.
Big Mangalhit

Re: 2018 Scuderia Ferrari F1 Team

I really think that top speed is way more a sign of the drag of the car than the engine power. Just think that to get only 1 more km/h at >300km/h speeds you need quite a few kw of power. Yet only the opening of DRS or a tow can increase that value way more. Just imagine if they would take out the upper flap of both wings, they'd probably lose lap time but their speed on the straights would greatly improve. Engine power I think is more noticeable by how fast the car accelerates out of the corner. if you look at gps telemetry data comparing different engined cars we can see the best engine reaches peak speed faster but usually the slower one is able to reach almost the same top speed.

Like you can see in this telemetry data Image after the first corner the blue car seems to accelerate faster in the beginning (even tho he leaves the corner with higher speed I think the distance between blue and red line are getting further apart just after the dotted line) but regardless of that both reach a point that the drag is just so high that they equalize in speed because a difference in 10-20kw brings very little extra speed when you go that fast.

BwajSF

Big Mangalhit wrote:
17 Apr 2018, 17:47
I really think that top speed is way more a sign of the drag of the car than the engine power. Just think that to get only 1 more km/h at >300km/h speeds you need quite a few kw of power. Yet only the opening of DRS or a tow can increase that value way more. Just imagine if they would take out the upper flap of both wings, they'd probably lose lap time but their speed on the straights would greatly improve. Engine power I think is more noticeable by how fast the car accelerates out of the corner. if you look at gps telemetry data comparing different engined cars we can see the best engine reaches peak speed faster but usually the slower one is able to reach almost the same top speed.

Like you can see in this telemetry data https://scarbsf1.files.wordpress.com/20 ... 2011-1.jpg after the first corner the blue car seems to accelerate faster in the beginning (even tho he leaves the corner with higher speed I think the distance between blue and red line are getting further apart just after the dotted line) but regardless of that both reach a point that the drag is just so high that they equalize in speed because a difference in 10-20kw brings very little extra speed when you go that fast.
Nice Piece of Data and analysis ...@Big Mangalhit..
It is true... In F1 almost all engine attain the same top speed in the range of 340kmph+ based on teams... The only places where the Engine Performances vary is the Initial Traction part i.e. how quickly the car accelerates and the absolute high end speed..
The more Aero Efficiency the car has ,the lesser power you ll need to run is quickly... I believe that is where SF71H has its silver bullet its very Aero Efficient More than Mercs i guess.. Because we have topped the Speed Traps and also we were Damn Quick in Corners too..

Hope to see this car begin a new Era... #ForzaFerrari

MtthsMlw

Vettel165

Big Mangalhit wrote:
17 Apr 2018, 17:47

Like you can see in this telemetry data https://scarbsf1.files.wordpress.com/20 ... 2011-1.jpg after the first corner the blue car seems to accelerate faster in the beginning (even tho he leaves the corner with higher speed I think the distance between blue and red line are getting further apart just after the dotted line) but regardless of that both reach a point that the drag is just so high that they equalize in speed because a difference in 10-20kw brings very little extra speed when you go that fast.
Fantastic post mate, I agree with everything, nothing to add here.

Big Mangalhit

Just to add something about my post.

Because the drag increases with the square of speed it means that power is more valuable to lap time the slower the car is (as long as it is not grip limited of course). Which means that teams generally like to deploy max power at the end of the corner as soon as they are not grip limited and then harvest in the end of the straight (one of the greatest advantages of the hybrid flexibility).

Taking this into account I think it is of no surprise that Ferrari is opening the wastegate at the end of corners, I don't think i is necessarily for wing blowing but more for the signature Clarkson: "MOAR POWER" to get to high speeds the faster possible using the b82rez to power the compressor in that instance and then harvesting more at the end of straights (maybe there is the reason for more mentions of lift and coast from Ferrari).
If the (more aggressive) opening is new from this season I don't think it is due to engine evolution since this is quite a simple idea but mostly thanks to better corner stability that gives them better grip out of the corner which makes it possible to have max power sooner.

Vettel165

Ferrari also with a brand new-front wing, beside the whole new rear wing that was tested in China.

F1NAC

ACcording to AMuS, those 3 spikes on mirror are there because looking from birds eye prospective there is visible asphalt where it shouldn't be. RB complained against that in races before so Ferrari needed to put that.

LINK(German)

MtthsMlw

GoranF1

What happend to Kimi?
PU gone?
"I have no idols. I admire work, dedication & competence."

MtthsMlw

GoranF1 wrote:
11 May 2018, 18:49
What happend to Kimi?
PU gone?
Sounded and looked like that but no official statement yet.

CriXus

“The reasonable man adapts himself to the world: the unreasonable one persists in trying to adapt the world to himself. Therefore all progress depends on the unreasonable man.” - George Bernard Shaw

MtthsMlw

Maybe it wasn't a 'real engine failure'. If it is they will probably change these components for Vettel too. At least last year they did that.

Zynerji

New spec, or identical?

LM10

I don't think the new spec is ready already.

MtthsMlw