2018 Scuderia Ferrari F1 Team

This forum contains threads to discuss teams themselves. Anything not technical about the cars, including restructuring, performances etc belongs here.
rscsr

Re: 2018 Scuderia Ferrari F1 Team

Sierra117 wrote:
12 Sep 2018, 07:36
The approach of aggressively attracting casuals always ends badly. Just look at what's happening to the UFC.
What is happening there?

marmer

UFC is not a fair comparison. The Reebok deal came around at a time when some of the big names where leaving the sport due to age. Since then people like McGregor and Jones have all had downsides to damage the promotion

Sierra117

rscsr wrote:
12 Sep 2018, 11:14
Sierra117 wrote:
12 Sep 2018, 07:36
The approach of aggressively attracting casuals always ends badly. Just look at what's happening to the UFC.
What is happening there?
Heavily OT so I hope this one post answers it all, don't want it to get removed and all.

Basically Liberty are doing what WME have done with UFC.

The UFC adhered very much to a merit-based system like most sports and leagues. Unfortunately they buried a whole lot of stock and power into the trash talkers who are popular with casual fans. The problem is that while you will gain much in the short term, your turnover will be greater as fans will lose interest if their favourite isn't fighting. The trick is to find the balance. Unfortunately the UFC kept giving title shots to those who trash talked a lot and that meant divisions got held up, interim belts were created on the fly and the actual merit of fighting the best became devalued. So in terms of what Liberty is doing, it's looking eerily similar. They removed the important telemetry data that us fans enjoy, reducing it to something like from a kiddie racing game. I get changing aesthetics for a refresh and branding and all that since that's what I do myself but there's always a way to do it tastefully and I really think they could have done so without removing features. It seems to have calmed down a bit but yeah, it's kind of a let down for me personally. The thing that really grinds my gears is those idiotic videos they put silly mario kart sound effects on for every position the driver gains or gets in the pits while drowning out the engine and actual racing sounds in awful music. Lots of car companies make the same sort of music-drowning-out-engine-sound promos for their new cars, it's really quite odd. But anyway yeah, I hope they focus more on creating interest in F1 as a whole rather than just a casual series of wow-moments that dissipate very quickly. For instance, it would be great to have more teams.

So that's what I think. Others will think differently but that's just what I've noticed that they seem willing to alienate hardcore fans in favour of casuals. Hope I'm wrong.
NIKI LAUDANZ SolidarityCubolligraphy | Instagram | Facebook
#Aerogorn & #Flowramir

MtthsMlw

Sierra117

Wow that's pretty cool, who made that?
NIKI LAUDANZ SolidarityCubolligraphy | Instagram | Facebook
#Aerogorn & #Flowramir

F1NAC

Time to fire Inaki Rhueda. Pitting for US?

MtthsMlw

F1NAC wrote:
16 Sep 2018, 16:02
Time to fire Inaki Rhueda. Pitting for US?
In the end it wasn't the worst call ever but it made his race harder than it could have been. However they pitted too early since Verstappen still had good tyres. That undercut was impossible so they should have solely focused on Verstappen.

F1NAC

Monza tells exactly the same with pitting early Raikkonen

Phil

Maybe they were defending from Max, rather putting Hamilton under the pressure? Or Mercedes just had the edge on the HS, as Hamilton just went for it the few laps before building up to his pit. Vettel never really responded?

Either way, i think they would have put Mercedes under much more pressure if they had tried to beat them on a game of who can stay out longest (knowing the undercut wouldnt work anyway).
Not for nothing, Rosberg's Championship is the only thing that lends credibility to Hamilton's recent success. Otherwise, he'd just be the guy who's had the best car. — bhall II
#Team44 supporter

M840TR

It's a shame how the season is unraveling. Another Mercedes win will kill the sport. All those years with bad cars; now they finally have a superior one but not a good driver. Maybe they should ring up a certain former employee if they're serious about winning the title again.

F1NAC

It is really disappointing. Just remembering form from Germany onwards, heck even Mercedes got scared and yet they lose all those points and handing the championship to Hamilton. Sad to say but this was even easier than last year for him. Heck this was on 2015 level and Mercedes is not dominating. Too bad. What a chance they had. SF71 is fine piece of engineering

Vasconia

F1NAC wrote:
17 Sep 2018, 09:27
It is really disappointing. Just remembering form from Germany onwards, heck even Mercedes got scared and yet they lose all those points and handing the championship to Hamilton. Sad to say but this was even easier than last year for him. Heck this was on 2015 level and Mercedes is not dominating. Too bad. What a chance they had. SF71 is fine piece of engineering
Its super fustrating because sometimes Vettel makes mistakes, sometimes the team makes mistakes and if it wouldn´t be enough, sometimes the car itself doesn´t perform at the level we had expected(Singapur). And the worst of all is that all those factors usually happen in different races so the loss of points is even bigger.

Sadly I think this season is over.

WaikeCU

You need to be absolutely on top of your game and sadly, that's not the case at Ferrari atm. Driver errors, strategy errors costing them dearly. There's still a chance, but the window of opportunities is slowly disappearing for 2018.

Big Tea

Phil wrote:
16 Sep 2018, 16:24
Maybe they were defending from Max, rather putting Hamilton under the pressure? Or Mercedes just had the edge on the HS, as Hamilton just went for it the few laps before building up to his pit. Vettel never really responded?

Either way, i think they would have put Mercedes under much more pressure if they had tried to beat them on a game of who can stay out longest (knowing the undercut wouldnt work anyway).
There would have been several unknowns with this option. All the q3 runners had to start on the softest tyre while those in the first group behind had free tyre choice. The leaders were also quite slow in relation to the pack, so it is quite possible had Vettel gone long he could have come out in a bad place and used his tyres up just getting back to the front 3. It was a strange race in several ways.
When arguing with a fool, be sure the other person is not doing the same thing.

Jolle

I don't think Vettel is doing anything really wrong or should be sacked. If you look over the years to the big champions they all had their DNF's due to crashing out, contacts in the first lap, etc etc. He's just unlucky to be up against Hamilton on form, who has been more or less faultless the past few years, something that is extremely rare. Even Schumacher, Senna and Prost had their occasional crashes in their prime. This added pressure of having to compete against someone that just doesn't make mistakes is also an extra stress factor. Same goes for other drivers by the way, we've gotten used to/expect racing without mistakes.