2018 Scuderia Ferrari F1 Team

This forum contains threads to discuss teams themselves. Anything not technical about the cars, including restructuring, performances etc belongs here.
marvin78

Re: 2018 Scuderia Ferrari F1 Team

I don't favor any driver and I think the lack of development car (which the drivers clearly knew about and got nervous), the politics and the strategies are the biggest problems at Ferrari's. I I have the same amount of evidence for that as anyone who says "it's the drivers": I have the things I see and that is just a tiny little bit of the whole truth.

And: Alonso had very good cars (to my eyes), is a good driver and Ferrari did manage to let him loose anyway. So....

timbo

max_speed wrote:
08 Oct 2018, 03:56
now i think we all Ferrari Fans can appreciate "Alonso's stint with Reds " bit more. with this year car he would have done what "lewis" has done in mercedes. i always felt that "vettel" is not at the level of Alonso, Ricciardo and Hamilton. this hurts me most. this year it should have been "red". Ferrari statregy Dept has always been poor but this "car" still deserves to win championship. Drivers are their biggest problem now. both are pretty mediocre from Ferrari standard.
I have huge respect for Alonso and appreciated what he had done, but to be fair -- 2010th season could have turned differently had he not smashed the car in P3 in Monaco, not lost it in Belgium, and had he managed to overtake Petrov in Abu Dhabi.
As for the car, out of 17 races so far Merc drivers had 11 poles. Yes, on some occasions they were slower in the race, but the same goes for Ferrari. The problem is that it appears that in the critical time updates just didn't work.

PS, if you remember 2010th panned out similarly for Alonso, at the end of the year car development died out. Last year was similar with reliability problems.

Vasconia

timbo wrote:
08 Oct 2018, 08:42
max_speed wrote:
08 Oct 2018, 03:56
now i think we all Ferrari Fans can appreciate "Alonso's stint with Reds " bit more. with this year car he would have done what "lewis" has done in mercedes. i always felt that "vettel" is not at the level of Alonso, Ricciardo and Hamilton. this hurts me most. this year it should have been "red". Ferrari statregy Dept has always been poor but this "car" still deserves to win championship. Drivers are their biggest problem now. both are pretty mediocre from Ferrari standard.
I have huge respect for Alonso and appreciated what he had done, but to be fair -- 2010th season could have turned differently had he not smashed the car in P3 in Monaco, not lost it in Belgium, and had he managed to overtake Petrov in Abu Dhabi.
As for the car, out of 17 races so far Merc drivers had 11 poles. Yes, on some occasions they were slower in the race, but the same goes for Ferrari. The problem is that it appears that in the critical time updates just didn't work.

PS, if you remember 2010th panned out similarly for Alonso, at the end of the year car development died out. Last year was similar with reliability problems.
But its strange because they were fast in Spa, still fast in Monza and then their theoretically super PU begins to loose strenght and they have problems to make the tyres work properly.

Vasconia

wickedz50 wrote:
08 Oct 2018, 08:09
Can Seb take a couple of year break from F1 and Ferrari can hire Fernando based on the current performance?
Team´s strategy managment really needs a shake.

timbo

Vasconia wrote:
08 Oct 2018, 09:14
But its strange because they were fast in Spa, still fast in Monza and then their theoretically super PU begins to loose strenght and they have problems to make the tyres work properly.
Indeed it is. I wonder if anyone could check the air/track temperatures of the races where they were strong and where they lost. I think the car just works better on hot tracks. But then I don't understand why they weren't so great in France.

Vasconia

timbo wrote:
08 Oct 2018, 09:22
Vasconia wrote:
08 Oct 2018, 09:14
Indeed it is. I wonder if anyone could check the air/track temperatures of the races where they were strong and where they lost. I think the car just works better on hot tracks. But then I don't understand why they weren't so great in France.
During the first half of the season they were also strong in cold races. I can recall Toto Wolf of Lewis saying they(Ferrari) were competitive in any condition. 3 races and we are back in 2017 or even worse, 2016 at times.

Ringleheim

Ferrari has imploded for the second year in a row, just when it was getting really important not to.

Vettel continues to make mistakes; he's made way too many for a driver to win the driver's championship. I wouldn't be surprised to see Hamilton take it in Austin.

And as an extra kick in the gut, the Mercedes is faster than the Ferrari again, and has been for a little while now. Ferrari had a performance advantage for a while, but did not make full use of it. Now the Mercedes is back on top again.

Very disappointing year for this Ferrari fan! We finally produce a car capable of winning the championship and we throw it all in the toilet with mistakes and bad strategies.

:?

dans79

Holly hell, some of the Italian press are a bunch of obnoxious little children!
https://www.grandprix.com/news/italian- ... rrari.html
197 104 103 7

munudeges

dans79 wrote:
09 Oct 2018, 12:39
I think, like Flavio has in the past, that they should move that team out of Italy. It is a self-destructive cycle they go through.

munudeges

I also happen to think that they are missing James Allison. You can't design and direct Formula 1 cars by committee and Allison was forced out by the usual Maranello politics. They took Allison's work and ran with it, passing it off as their own, and it is now catching up with them. Binotto is simply not a Technical Director.

WaikeCU

munudeges wrote:
09 Oct 2018, 13:30
I also happen to think that they are missing James Allison. You can't design and direct Formula 1 cars by committee and Allison was forced out by the usual Maranello politics. They took Allison's work and ran with it, passing it off as their own, and it is now catching up with them. Binotto is simply not a Technical Director.
All the while, Allison’s influence is kicking in at the already dominating Merc.

dans79

munudeges wrote:
09 Oct 2018, 13:22
dans79 wrote:
I think, like Flavio has in the past, that they should move that team out of Italy. It is a self-destructive cycle they go through.
Imo, the team has 2 issues not related to 99% of the people on it.
  1. Senior Ferrari management leads by fear, and that's not a good working environment for this type of work.
  2. A large segment of the fan base seems entitled, and thus turns hostile towards the team when things don't work out.
197 104 103 7

Big Mangalhit

WaikeCU wrote:
09 Oct 2018, 13:46
munudeges wrote:
All the while, Allison’s influence is kicking in at the already dominating Merc.
So now Allison left Ferrari (mainly by his own choice) in July 2016. The year after Ferrari produces a good car and two years they are dominating the field, albeit only for a few races. Yet the team is missing him?? Was the 2018 car fruit of early 2016 Alisson's ideas? That is just delusional.

Having said this I think Allison is a great TD and probably is doing a great job in Mercedes but let's not forget that Mercedes was dominating before he joined and they were even further ahead relative to Ferrari than after he joined (probably because of Ferrari good work). But the departure from Ferrari was unavoidable after the tragic death of his wife that left his kids alone in the UK while he was at Maranello. Joining an UK based team was the next logical step.

GPR-A

WaikeCU wrote:
09 Oct 2018, 13:46
munudeges wrote:
Are we saying that, in an organization of 700+ people, containing low level engineers to highly skilled Design Architects, at various departments, would be influenced by one individual's presence at a level almost they never really interact with? Especially, when they already have Aero and Mechnical design chiefs like Mike Elliott, Geoff Willis and Aldo Costa? A leader sitting at such a high level as Allison, hardly does anything at the fundamental design of the car except for taking presentations and providing approvals. It's people at the lower to mid level hands on folks who actually design and build the cars.

SF70H and SF71H are indigenous work of the staff at Maranello and not by Allison. He might have contributed at very high level, but nothing really that you can attribute to him. It's actually strange that SF71H has tailed off so suddenly. May be there was a false dawn after Spa and the confidence that the SF71H is ahead of W09, the focus might have shifted to next year's car.

GPR-A

dans79 wrote:
You wonder if they are the same people who come to Monza and boo the other drivers! Is it difficult for these guys OR is it just that they don't have it in them to understand that, Ferrari is competing against one of the best teams of all time who also happen to have one of the best drivers of all time driving for them. All this while, Ferrari struggled to produce good cars and now that they have managed to address that part, it might take some more time to get all the other pieces in place to get to the pinnacle. These kind of morale crushing cheap news pieces aren't going to help anyone.