2019 Williams F1 Team - Mercedes

This forum contains threads to discuss teams themselves. Anything not technical about the cars, including restructuring, performances etc belongs here.
Big Tea

Re: 2019 Williams F1 Team - Mercedes

Even just as prep for the drivers, it could be utilised, just track time for RK would be a help. Possibly they feel the time could be better used in a different session later?
When arguing with a fool, be sure the other person is not doing the same thing.

Manoah2u

Big Tea wrote:
19 Feb 2019, 22:26
Even just as prep for the drivers, it could be utilised, just track time for RK would be a help. Possibly they feel the time could be better used in a different session later?
again, cost vs no useful return. if they want to have RK do something, they'd best put him in the simulator.
"Explain the ending to F1 in football terms"
"Hamilton was beating Verstappen 7-0, then the ref decided F%$& rules, next goal wins
while also sending off 4 Hamilton players to make it more interesting"

Alexgtt

I'm a bit sick of this Williams bashing. Everything said is speculation. Yes they are late, yes it's not a great situation but some of the tripe being spouted here is disappointing and like reading the gutter press.

Another fact, the new car is there and they fired it up.

Apart from that we don't know what the car looks like in the flesh, how reliable it will be or how quick it is. Finding out those things over the next days will be interesting...............as will comments on actual facts.

Capharol

it's not About Bashing, ist clearly About the Things they said and now Show...…
saying: much …
showing: Nothing...

and tbh since Claire took over the team it's going downhill very fast

paulo_f1

I'm not sure anyone here is aware of the "facts", most of what is being posted on here is pure speculative rubbish.

Williams aren't in a very different situation commercially to any of the other non manufacturer, or non billionaire owned teams. The sad truth is that the sponsorship market isn't what it was pre the 08/09 recession, and the F1 revenue structure is so lop sided it looks like it's been designed to put half the grid out of business. It's impossible to compete with Mercedes, Ferrari and Red Bull commercially, as evidenced by McLaren's issues, plus the problems "Lotus" had under Genii Capital even when they won races!

The Claire bashing is also nonsense, she's been in this role since Frank stepped down in 2012, including 14/15 when everyone was singing the teams praises. The only big difference to the likes of Force India, Lotus etc. is that Williams have secured a decent sponsorship/support package every year and traded profitably as a listed company. That includes this year when they've pulled in decent backing via Kubica and Orlen, plus landed the Rokit/ABK deals.

taperoo2k

Claire is part of a management team, she's not in sole charge. Sir Frank Williams is still around, though perhaps
not as involved as he used to be.

munudeges

paulo_f1 wrote:
20 Feb 2019, 15:20
I'm not sure anyone here is aware of the "facts", most of what is being posted on here is pure speculative rubbish.
The only salient fact here is they finished last last year and they are currently having great difficulty getting a car out to a test they can ill-afford to miss time on.

TwanV

again thank you for your valuable insight and constructive criticism, I don't think anyone noticed that before. Fact is the car is out there running and it doesn't look at all like last years little mistake.

munudeges

You wouldn't think anyone had noticed where Williams actually is, considering the ridiculous excuses that are being bandied around here. Many around here, and those within the team, have a serious case of cognitive dissonance.

The great thing is, Formula 1's stop watch simply doesn't give a damn about your commercial situation, your management team or your HR department. :D You look at a team like Force India, or Racing Point as they now are, and Williams with their resources simply should not have been in the position they're in. The excuses have worn like a Pirelli tyre. The people there are not good enough.

TwanV

munudeges wrote:
20 Feb 2019, 17:15
You wouldn't think anyone had noticed where Williams actually is, considering the ridiculous excuses that are being bandied around here. Many around here, and those within the team, have a serious case of cognitive dissonance.

The great thing is, Formula 1's stop watch simply doesn't give a damn about your commercial situation, your management team or your HR department. :D You look at a team like Force India, or Racing Point as they now are, and Williams with their resources simply should not have been in the position they're in. The excuses have worn like a Pirelli tyre. The people there are not good enough.
Not very interesting, I mean; sure you're right until the same people prove you wrong, or not, who knows, who cares. I think it's safe to say they have a very decent driver line up. Much better than anything they had since Bottas left for Merc and personally I'm very curious to see how Russell will manage this year. Also, it's safe to say they will be dead last in testing this week, as they've missed out out on a filming day aka shakedown, and two days of testing. Next friday we'll know if there is potential in the new car. Let's hope there is.
Last edited by TwanV on 20 Feb 2019, 17:24, edited 1 time in total.

paulo_f1

munudeges wrote:
20 Feb 2019, 17:00
paulo_f1 wrote:
20 Feb 2019, 15:20
The only salient fact here is they finished last last year and they are currently having great difficulty getting a car out to a test they can ill-afford to miss time on.
Yep, it's definitely a fact that they finished last in 2018, someone has to. However, in previous recent years they finished between 3rd and 5th, someone has to finish last and with a closely matched and well funded mid-field, someone surprisingly is going to this year as well! Your other point is back to pure speculation and something we have no answer for.

If it's down to incompetence and production delays that they're 5-10 days late with the car, then I'd be inclined to agree. However, I think for an organisation and team of this size and experience that's highly unlikely.

If it's because they spotted a few crucial improvements late on in the wind tunnel/CFD process and realised it could transform the car, so they pushed the design schedules beyond what the production departments could cope with, then they made the right choice. Finding a second, or even half a second and being 2.5 days late testing will soon be forgotten if they're reasonably competitive, getting out in testing on time and being last would be a millstone all year.

Let's hope it's more Brawn 2009 than Hispania/HRT 2010!

munudeges

TwanV wrote:
20 Feb 2019, 17:23
Not very interesting, I mean; sure you're right until the same people prove you wrong.....
Sadly they have never done a good job of proving me wrong for the last twenty odd years.

TwanV

munudeges wrote:
20 Feb 2019, 17:29
TwanV wrote:
20 Feb 2019, 17:23
Not very interesting, I mean; sure you're right until the same people prove you wrong.....
Sadly they have never done a good job of proving me wrong for the last twenty odd years.
yeah, it hurts me too since '97

munudeges

paulo_f1 wrote:
20 Feb 2019, 17:22
Yep, it's definitely a fact that they finished last in 2018, someone has to. However, in previous recent years they finished between 3rd and 5th, someone has to and with a closely matched and well funded mid field, someone is going to this year too.
Excuses, excuses, excuses....... The stopwatch does not care about excuses, nor does it care when a team disappears off the grid. This hasn't just been happening this year or last.

What gets me hacked off is this is exactly the sort of language the team has used, from Claire on down. They think if they just tweak one or two things here and there they'll be back at the front. It's complete denial.
If it's down to incompetence and production delays that they're 5-10 days late with the car, then I'd be inclined to agree. However, I think for an organisation and team of this size and experience that's highly unlikely.
It's not unlikely at all, and this is well known up and down the pitlane. They have gone to suppliers far too late for manufacture.
If it's because they spotted a few crucial improvements late on in the wind tunnel/CFD process and realised it could transform the car......
Speculative nonsense that has no basis based on the vast evidence of past performance.

paulo_f1

munudeges wrote:
20 Feb 2019, 17:36
paulo_f1 wrote:
20 Feb 2019, 17:22
Yep, it's definitely a fact that they finished last in 2018, someone has to. However, in previous recent years they finished between 3rd and 5th, someone has to and with a closely matched and well funded mid field, someone is going to this year too.
Excuses, excuses, excuses....... The stopwatch does not care about excuses, nor does it care when a team disappears off the grid. This hasn't just been happening this year or last.

What gets me hacked off is this is exactly the sort of language the team has used, from Claire on down. They think if they just tweak one or two things here and there they'll be back at the front. It's complete denial.
It's not unlikely at all, and this is well known up and down the pitlane. They have gone to suppliers far too late for manufacture.
If it's because they spotted a few crucial improvements late on in the wind tunnel/CFD process and realised it could transform the car......
Speculative nonsense that has no basis based on the vast evidence of past performance.
What suppliers? Where is the evidence? Is this your time spent in the pitlane speaking to the F1 insiders?

Unlike Racing Point, they manufacture the vast majority of the car in house. If you think they just sat around and ordered everything late, didn't bother to plan properly this year then great, you're entitled to your vitriolic opinion, I find that situation highly unlikely.

I agree they are never going to be back at the front, not while F1 payments are structured the way they are, everyone is scrapping for the crumbs other than the big 3. I don't think anyone in the Williams team thinks they are going to be back at the front and are on record saying say so, and that the structure of the sport must change.

The stop watch may not care, but those of us who love the sport hate what CVC Capital did to it to bleed as much money for themselves as possible, to the detriment of competition and with no thought to its long term future. This is the problem when there are no minnows in the sport anymore, a big well funded team has to finish last.

When you can post something evidence based, rather than opinion based, that will be great. Until then I'll keep an eye on the times and see where everyone is come Melbourne, as until then it's all speculation...