2019 Williams F1 Team - Mercedes

This forum contains threads to discuss teams themselves. Anything not technical about the cars, including restructuring, performances etc belongs here.
Moctecus

Re: 2019 Williams F1 Team - Mercedes

Haas employ 220 people, Williams around 500 (not including Williams Advanced Engineering). To make the Haas model work financially they'd have to sack hundreds of employees. There's no easy going back from that.

ScottB

Moctecus wrote:
13 Mar 2019, 20:37
Haas employ 220 people, Williams around 500 (not including Williams Advanced Engineering). To make the Haas model work financially they'd have to sack hundreds of employees. There's no easy going back from that.
No, but continuing on the current path could well see all 500 go, so something has to give, sooner or later...

proteus

ScottB wrote:
13 Mar 2019, 20:20
A real danger for Williams is that, should the sport sort out a budget cap, it’s not a stretch to imagine new, Haas style teams joining with help from Merc and Renault, both potentially pushing Williams further from the front, and perhaps closing off that ‘B Team’ option to them.

It’s tough, I’m sure the ‘goal’ is to build back to the front and get manufacturer backing, but they are a long way from that. Might be better to accept a few years of Merc help, give some breathing room to properly restructure the team while hopefully still able to compete, with a goal of returning to ‘full’ constructor status later?

As it stands, if you were looking to join the sport as an engine maker, there are 3 teams available for such a partnership, Mclaren, Racing Point and Williams. I struggle to think of a reason to pick Williams over the other two right now...
Racing Point is in a grasp of Mercedes. Stroll exclusively wanted that, he wanted that when he was at Williams, but was rejected and thats why he went for RP. So only Mcalren and Williams are the two truly independent teams available for a merger.
If i would get the money to start my own F1 team, i would revive Arrows

proteus

adrianjordan wrote:
13 Mar 2019, 19:58
As a long time fan of Williams, the current state of the team saddens me.

I'm not going to pretend to know how to fix the team, but watching the Netflix series and you see the MEETING where Claire once again states, this time to what looks like a large portion of the workforce, that Williams will become a B-Team "over (her) dead body" you start to see why they're struggling.

Clinging on to that independence is not feasible in the modern F1 world.

When even Mclaren are rumoured to be looking to increase their ties to PU supplier Renault, you can see that going it alone against the might of Merc, Ferrari and RBR who all have junior teams, is just too big of a struggle.

Perhaps Williams should be looking at how they can strengthen their ties to Merc and at ways of making better use of their budget.

I do get the impression that CW is a chip off the old FW block and that the way the team is being run is not working.
There is a simple solution to solve this problem. Banning such collaborations permanently. And those who dislike it, can say goodbye as well. Ferrari, Mclaren, Williams and Renault would stay for sure, other spots probably could be filled without major problems as well.
If i would get the money to start my own F1 team, i would revive Arrows

ScottB

proteus wrote:
13 Mar 2019, 21:44
ScottB wrote:
A real danger for Williams is that, should the sport sort out a budget cap, it’s not a stretch to imagine new, Haas style teams joining with help from Merc and Renault, both potentially pushing Williams further from the front, and perhaps closing off that ‘B Team’ option to them.

It’s tough, I’m sure the ‘goal’ is to build back to the front and get manufacturer backing, but they are a long way from that. Might be better to accept a few years of Merc help, give some breathing room to properly restructure the team while hopefully still able to compete, with a goal of returning to ‘full’ constructor status later?

As it stands, if you were looking to join the sport as an engine maker, there are 3 teams available for such a partnership, Mclaren, Racing Point and Williams. I struggle to think of a reason to pick Williams over the other two right now...
Racing Point is in a grasp of Mercedes. Stroll exclusively wanted that, he wanted that when he was at Williams, but was rejected and thats why he went for RP. So only Mcalren and Williams are the two truly independent teams available for a merger.
Possibly, but for now they still make most of their own stuff, they certainly aren't Haas style, and, if reports of them building a new factory and expanding their facilities are accurate, it doesn't sound like they are going for that style of relationship, even if they are otherwise close to Mercedes.

zeph

proteus wrote:
13 Mar 2019, 21:44
ScottB wrote:

Racing Point is in a grasp of Mercedes. Stroll exclusively wanted that, he wanted that when he was at Williams, but was rejected and thats why he went for RP.
I’ve never heard anything of the sort. Are you sure about that? AFAIK, they were always fiercely independent when Mallya was in charge.

garygph

[/quote]

I’ve never heard anything of the sort. Are you sure about that? AFAIK, they were always fiercely independent when Mallya was in charge.
[/quote]
But now Mallya is not in charge.....

Manoah2u

BTW,

https://www.grandprix.com/news/mclaren- ... stone.html
Bernie Ecclestone says (both) Williams (and McLaren) need new management.

The once-great F1 teams are now struggling, and former F1 supremo Ecclestone thinks the problem is the people in charge.
"They are no longer in the hands of super competitive men like Ron Dennis and Frank Williams," he told Corriere della Sera.
To come back strong, they have to find another Ron and another Frank."
Today, Zak Brown leads McLaren, while Frank Williams' daughter Claire is in charge at Williams.
When asked about other F1 teams, Ecclestone said he is looking forward to the new Red Bull-Honda collaboration.
"I suggested this alliance to Red Bull three years ago,
...Honda is competitive by nature...."
On the sport more generally, Ecclestone said F1 could survive without the FIA and its president Jean Todt.
"Jean did a good job of convincing Liberty that they need the FIA to change things. But F1 could even exist without them.
The teams and promoters could write the rules themselves and race under another name.
Personally I'm not for democracy, we need a dictator who says 'here are the rules'."
He also thinks it is possible Mercedes will not agree terms with Liberty for a 2021 Concorde Agreement.
"I wouldn't be surprised if they didn't have an official team anymore," said Ecclestone.
Ecclestone hitting the nail on the head here.

anyway, i must say i'm happy to see Williams atleast is present in melbourne.
i wonder though whether they'll actually race, or simply perform the start from the pit straight,
and then drive a lap back into the pits and park the cars.
"Explain the ending to F1 in football terms"
"Hamilton was beating Verstappen 7-0, then the ref decided F%$& rules, next goal wins
while also sending off 4 Hamilton players to make it more interesting"

humble sabot

That's some harsh words. And I would never give Bernie the time of day much less take his words as truth.

Edit Thunder: Calmed down the Tone a bit.
the four immutable forces:
static balance
dynamic balance
static imbalance
dynamic imbalance

humble sabot

ScottB wrote:
I think you'd have to be an idiot to jump into F1 right now as an engine supplier. Honda was one year behind and it took them three to catch up, and that's Honda, far bigger than any of the others in the F1 game.
Basically Williams has until the new rule set to get their act together before this can become an issue.
the four immutable forces:
static balance
dynamic balance
static imbalance
dynamic imbalance

b2bL44

I like headbuttin’ journos an´ I can not lie.
You otha brothas can´t deny.
That when a journo walks in wit´ some bait an´
A hook right in yo´ face. You get SMACKED.

zeph

b2bL44 wrote:
14 Mar 2019, 01:40
Dieter Rencken on Williams:

https://www.racefans.net/2019/03/13/the ... s-decline/
Clear and concise. Thanks for sharing.

FW17

Workers from Chemist Warehouse in two states have gone on an indefinite strike over what they claim is a widespread culture of sexual harassment and labour exploitation.

KeiKo403

Is this another new sponsor?

FW17

Williams have done a wonderful job of getting a local sponsor
Too bad the workers in the company are on strike