2019 Williams F1 Team - Mercedes

This forum contains threads to discuss teams themselves. Anything not technical about the cars, including restructuring, performances etc belongs here.
Tzk
Tzk

Re: 2019 Williams F1 Team - Mercedes

I still believe Kubica can do better than in Q1. Let's see how he drives when he's not overcautious and Williams got a few spare parts.

Capharol

Tzk wrote:
16 Mar 2019, 18:29
I still believe Kubica can do better than in Q1. Let's see how he drives when he's not overcautious and Williams got a few spare parts.
Then he first need to beat Russel and if Kubica can get into Q2, the Russel can do aswell

munudeges

wunderkind wrote:
16 Mar 2019, 16:44
Cut Kubica a little slack, it's his first race in a very long time. But I suspect he will be dismissed by Canada if he fails to deliver. He is not the old Kubica that fans had hoped. An obvious candidate to replace Kubica would be Ocon.
Goodness, not only are Williams plumb last, and they're hanging off the back of the grid by seconds, not tenths, but they might well have to face up to the fact that Kubica just isn't strong enough to drive a Formula 1 car. We have to remember he is effectively driving one handed with some minor assistance from the other arm. You have to question him because the two incidents he's had where he's gone wide into the wall just shouldn't be happening. You also have to question whether Williams have analysed him enough or whether they have shoehorned him in for media attention and money.

Milinskip

munudeges wrote:
16 Mar 2019, 19:34
Goodness, not only are Williams plumb last, and they're hanging off the back of the grid by seconds, not tenths, but they might well have to face up to the fact that Kubica just isn't strong enough to drive a Formula 1 car. We have to remember he is effectively driving one handed with some minor assistance from the other arm. You have to question him because the two incidents he's had where he's gone wide into the wall just shouldn't be happening.
I don't believe those mistakes were due to injury. Both seem to stem from misjudging the amount of available space. Kubica even admitted it in his post-Q interviews, and called it embarrassing.
I reckon he simply needs some more time to explore the car's limits and shake off some rust. Obviously, as a fan, I'll continue to support him throughout the season. Even if I weren't, though, I'd still give him a couple of races to settle in and find his rhythm, before I'd pass judgement.

SmallSoldier

munudeges wrote:
wunderkind wrote:
16 Mar 2019, 16:44
Cut Kubica a little slack, it's his first race in a very long time. But I suspect he will be dismissed by Canada if he fails to deliver. He is not the old Kubica that fans had hoped. An obvious candidate to replace Kubica would be Ocon.
Goodness, not only are Williams plumb last, and they're hanging off the back of the grid by seconds, not tenths, but they might well have to face up to the fact that Kubica just isn't strong enough to drive a Formula 1 car. We have to remember he is effectively driving one handed with some minor assistance from the other arm. You have to question him because the two incidents he's had where he's gone wide into the wall just shouldn't be happening. You also have to question whether Williams have analysed him enough or whether they have shoehorned him in for media attention and money.
It is clear that most that are bashing Kubica have never raced a car in real life (even from at an amateur level)... Bashing Kubica based on his first weekend at the team is ridiculous.

The mistakes made have nothing to do with his arm, he misjudged the distance to the wall on his Q1 lap because of trying to push the car more than he should... Add to this that he hasn’t been racing competitively for a while (while Russell just came from winning a championship in F2) and it’s understandable that he could be making some mistakes.

Let’s see how things evolve, judging his ability / skill based on a couple of practice sessions and one qualifying session is pretty absurd.

Finally, we have to consider that he is the driver on the grid with the least amount of laps during Testing, making him probably the least prepared of them all at this point... He needs to find his rhythm (which is not easy when you have a car that isn’t performing below you).

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

munudeges

SmallSoldier wrote:
16 Mar 2019, 20:35
It is clear that most that are bashing Kubica have never raced a car in real life (even from at an amateur level)... Bashing Kubica based on his first weekend at the team is ridiculous.
Who's bashing Kubica? The guy is driving with about 1.25 arms, if that. Given the G forces involved in driving a Formula 1 car that is either going to be extremely difficult or close to impossible over a race distance. It's simply a question that has to be asked.

I have raced cars, and especially karts, and let me tell you, you need the strength of two arms and you need arm movement to get the thing turned in properly. The added complication is the G forces involved with Formula 1 cars, and your arms and shoulders get tired pretty quickly. To suggest this isn't a factor, and then question and claim some kind of 'racing experience', is just downright stupid.

The mistakes made have nothing to do with his arm, he misjudged the distance to the wall on his Q1 lap because of trying to push the car more than he should...
No, I'm afraid not. For a professional racing driver those mistakes, twice, and one in the pitlane, just don't happen. That's a driver who can't get the car turned in, for whatever reason that was.

Add to this that he hasn’t been racing competitively for a while....
That cuts no ice. These are mistakes that still don't happen regardless I'm afraid.

SmallSoldier

munudeges wrote:
SmallSoldier wrote:
16 Mar 2019, 20:35
Who's bashing Kubica? The guy is driving with about 1.25 arms, if that. Given the G forces involved in driving a Formula 1 car that is either going to be extremely difficult or close to impossible over a race distance. It's simply a question that has to be asked.

I have raced cars, and especially karts, and let me tell you, you need the strength of two arms and you need arm movement to get the thing turned in properly. The added complication is the G forces involved with Formula 1 cars, and your arms and shoulders get tired pretty quickly. To suggest this isn't a factor, and then question and claim some kind of 'racing experience', is just downright stupid.

The mistakes made have nothing to do with his arm, he misjudged the distance to the wall on his Q1 lap because of trying to push the car more than he should...
No, I'm afraid not. For a professional racing driver those mistakes, twice, and one in the pitlane, just don't happen. That's a driver who can't get the car turned in, for whatever reason that was.

Add to this that he hasn’t been racing competitively for a while....
That cuts no ice. These are mistakes that still don't happen regardless I'm afraid.
It’s great to know that you have had some racing experience... And I agree completely in regards to how physically demanding carts could be... You may be forgetting that carts don’t have power steering and formula 1 cars do?

The mistake in the pit lane and the one in qualifying are 2 different type of turns and not representative of his ability to turn the wheel... Watch the onboard of his qualifying lap, you will notice that he just tried to be as wide as possible coming out of the turn and misjudged the distance to the wall (by the way, it would seem as you just started watching F1 or you can’t remember any other driver gracing a wall? I’m sure you may be able to find a YouTube highlight reel of those and just in last season there were plenty).

I won’t comment on the mistake on the pit lane entry because I don’t honestly know what happened and won’t speculate on it (although, we should probably point out that he was in and out of pit lane multiple times during the weekend with no issue)... He seemed to simply overshoot his “speed” coming into the pits... But I will comment again in regards to his mistake in Q1, which again wasn’t a huge shunt, he graced the wall (like Vettel, Max, etc, etc, etc have done repeatedly in the past in street / barriered circuits) and will point out that when you are in a high pressure situation (like qualifying), trying to get the most of the car and at least trying to beat your team mate that not having dealt with all those emotions regularly will most probably bite you in the ass (I know it was happened to me when I stopped racing for a year).

And yes, you are bashing a guy and questioning his physical ability after just one qualifying session in a new season, with a new car (that he hasn’t drove as much as the rest) and probably with a lot more pressure on him because he has to prove (to the team and himself) that he belongs in F1... That’s ridiculous

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Manoah2u

To be honest, i think despite the storm Williams is finding itself in, it did okay.
It's sad that 'okay' means Hispania HRT team at it's first GP speed, but it could have been even worse.
I'm more interested in tomorrow, really.
"Explain the ending to F1 in football terms"
"Hamilton was beating Verstappen 7-0, then the ref decided F%$& rules, next goal wins
while also sending off 4 Hamilton players to make it more interesting"

tinvek

i'm assuming that all williams came to the first race wanting to do is to do a full race distance to give what are effectively 2 rookies as many laps as possible to try and make up for the missed testing. if everything works ok and what ever speed they have accurately matches their simulation work, the'll have something to build upon, whether they actually make some steps up the grid or whether they have as little success as petrocelli had building his house remains to be seen

tpeman

Just to note a small positive, during the final laps Kubica on softs was actually keeping up with the cars from 7th to 11th place. His tires were probably new and he was running a higher engine mode, but still...

Russell also seemed to keep up with pack during the first stint.

sprint car76

I know it may be tough to admit for kubica fans but i'm afraid his career is over. Beaten soundly by russel in his first race points out his time has past. The guy was an awsome racer but the accident caused to much damage for him to be competitive in F1.

Sieper

I would make sense (If Kubica can’t up his game) to measure Russell and Ocon. My vote goes to the former.

kurwex

Stop making stupid conclusions after first race.

roy928tt

Word I'm hearing is that Kubica was fitted with an old broken wing when he needed another wing early in the race, anybody able to confirm this?

Godius

Don't know about that but I reckon that Williams approached this race more like an extended test session. Don't see much reason to look into driver performance right now.