2019 Williams F1 Team - Mercedes

This forum contains threads to discuss teams themselves. Anything not technical about the cars, including restructuring, performances etc belongs here.
Manoah2u

Re: 2019 Williams F1 Team - Mercedes

maxxer wrote:
22 Jun 2019, 19:56
I just read that the drainhole cover accident cost them an electronics unit , f1 is ridiculous it is not a fault of williams fia should buy them a new one and compensate for not paying a welder to weld the bloody thing shut , cost the team a fortune and probably had to worknovernight which is limited also by f1 sissies
unneccesary ranting.
comes with the game. what are you going to do, sue another team if they hit you and damage a wing?
Matter of fact, Williams actually got financial compensation from the FIA,
<personal part removed>

https://www.gpfans.com/en/articles/3885 ... ell-smash/

perhaps you should inform yourself better..........
"Explain the ending to F1 in football terms"
"Hamilton was beating Verstappen 7-0, then the ref decided F%$& rules, next goal wins
while also sending off 4 Hamilton players to make it more interesting"

maxxer

Manoah2u wrote:
23 Jun 2019, 12:35
maxxer wrote:
22 Jun 2019, 19:56
I just read that the drainhole cover accident cost them an electronics unit , f1 is ridiculous it is not a fault of williams fia should buy them a new one and compensate for not paying a welder to weld the bloody thing shut , cost the team a fortune and probably had to worknovernight which is limited also by f1 sissies
unneccesary ranting.
comes with the game. what are you going to do, sue another team if they hit you and damage a wing?
Matter of fact, Williams actually got financial compensation from the FIA,
<personal part removed>

https://www.gpfans.com/en/articles/3885 ... ell-smash/

perhaps you should inform yourself better..........
I did see that but if the accident is such a failure on track fia should own and pay + let them have the extra unit.
To lose a wing yes that comes with the game to have drainhole covers loose on track not.

skwdenyer

netoperek wrote:
22 Jun 2019, 12:12
Velox.tv wrote, that Sir Patrick, currently being an advisor, after digging in a bit, advised (or insisted) that Claire should be sacked.
I always gave Claire benefit of doubt, but if Head says she's gotta go, she's gotta go then! I think he might be the best person to convince Frank, that she might just not have what it takes and needs to step down.
Is there a link to this? I assume you mean veloxtv.com.br ? I don’t see this at their site.

netoperek

skwdenyer wrote:
23 Jun 2019, 21:32
netoperek wrote:
22 Jun 2019, 12:12
Velox.tv wrote, that Sir Patrick, currently being an advisor, after digging in a bit, advised (or insisted) that Claire should be sacked.
I always gave Claire benefit of doubt, but if Head says she's gotta go, she's gotta go then! I think he might be the best person to convince Frank, that she might just not have what it takes and needs to step down.
Is there a link to this? I assume you mean veloxtv.com.br ? I don’t see this at their site.
The site from which I took this info from - a blog that daily compiles most of the available info - don't have a direct link anymore on it (IIRC there has been one 2 days ago, I haven't clicked on it as I don't know Portuguese anyway).

Scorpaguy

I still do not understand these "It was Claire/It was Paddy" accusations. If it was a clear case of ONE of those two being at fault...you would think the other would speak up. However, all we get is deafening silence from Paddy...maybe he signed some sort of agreement to get a bit of gardening pay. If such is the case, must have been a big check in order to lose one's rep.

Often in the case of a diametrically opposed scenario, the truth is right in the middle. I am beginning to think both were incompetent.

Manoah2u

one has a history of being at teams when everything ran fantastic, and is credited to much of such sorts.
the other has the history of since being at the team it's been nothing but bad. i don't think it's hard to see who'd be to blame the most.
"Hamilton was beating Verstappen 7-0, then the ref decided F%$& rules, next goal wins

bosyber

Well, it's not as if Williams was going swimmingly before Claire joined, is it? I mean, yes, I can see why she would be an obvious candidate to blame, just like Kalterborn at Sauber after the Guido vd Garde 3rd seat sale stuff and disaster year following, but rarely is it so simple (and also: maybe not quite a coincidence both are women scapegoats).

To me it seems the rot was already deep and long lasting, though maybe not yet soo visible as now (though, 2011,2012,2013 were quite bad, weren't they? And Maldonado money, letting Hulkenberg go but keeping an aging Barichello, seems a clear symptom to me of odd choices being made. Hearing Rosberg (I think in a recent race review on his youtube) mention that he was told 'you were useless to us this weekend' (not sure after which race, but one he didn't do well in I presume) also points to a poisonous atmosphere already when he was there. I think they lucked into a useful sweetspot in 2014 which masked that they hadn't been able to put on useful downforce for years (see abandoning exhaust blowing bc. they couldn't get it to work for them).

So she hasn't been able to improve things, but managed to sort of keep the team rolling (even if downhill); then she got a catch: Paddy - but he too didn't manage to turn things around (at all, by the looks of things), and in fact, seems to have overseen it becoming quite a mess at the start of this year. Now, I do recall that when he left McLaren, quite a few McL fans were rather glad to see him go, believing him partly responsible for the state of some of the 2010-2012 car not being able to ultimately get a WCC. I don't know how true that is, and certainly he wasn't the only one that didn't function in that team, but, it does not point to him being a great management-issue solver to me, given McLaren only now seem to be getting on top of those issues, 5 years later, and not while he was there. Also, Mercedes went on swimmingly despite him leaving.

In the end, I think my last paragraph describes teams that have a mode of operation that (Williams,McLaren) fails to adapt to changing times, or stays on top of things (Mercedes), which isn't (or maybe is, but shouldn't?) dependant on one single person or circumstance, but does show the need to be honest and able to adapt.

A bit off topic, but not quite, I think: I tend to think Brawn helped put a solid structure in place at Mercedes (as he helped do in Ferrari - which Luca di'Zemelo resented, got rid of with him, Todt and Schumacher when the championships were in), but Lauda and Wolff perfected it. Will be interesting if Wolff does go to Liberty/FOM, with all three of those guys gone (and Hamilton?), how long it lasts.

Morteza

Fastest pit stop for Williams. This time it was done under 2 seconds
"A fool thinks himself to be wise, but a wise man knows himself to be a fool."~William Shakespeare

F1T
Administrative bot

Paddy Lowe confirms definite departure from Williams

The Williams F1 Team have today confirmed that Paddy Lowe, its former technical chief will leave the team after having been made inactive several months ago.

Unc1eM0nty

Inevitable I guess but it's still a sad state of affairs

Williams have a mountain to climb, the best way forward I can see it to get some new people and systems in place as soon as possible, tread water on the 2020 car, switch over to 2021 car development as early as possible and with as many resources as possible.

izzy

Unc1eM0nty wrote:
25 Jun 2019, 13:55
Inevitable I guess but it's still a sad state of affairs

Williams have a mountain to climb, the best way forward I can see it to get some new people and systems in place as soon as possible, tread water on the 2020 car, switch over to 2021 car development as early as possible and with as many resources as possible.
I think the problem is Frank, personally. He's 75 but such a strong character, and still Team Principal. Some people think Claire is there and not Jonathan because Frank can control things with Claire as Deputy TP but not with Jonathan.

And Paddy wouldn't have been able to run things the way he wanted, with Frank being still in charge, but like with Ron F1 isn't the same now and Frank's hard case way of running a team doesn't work any more. I wish he'd step down. I read he was interfering with the car design over the winter

bill shoe

Wonder if Paddy leaving clears the decks for Claire to follow? Maybe Paddy was the last big issue she needed to address?

Manoah2u

Re: Paddy Lowe confirms definite departure from Williams

F1T wrote:
25 Jun 2019, 11:48

The Williams F1 Team have today confirmed that Paddy Lowe, its former technical chief will leave the team after having been made inactive several months ago.

//f1tcdn.net/images/news/2019/williams.jpg
Curious to see where Paddy will go next. I'm expecting Renault (enstone)

Scorpaguy

...and yet Claire states they are not looking to hire a new TD, but rather looking within the company at its structures and processes.

Sorry, but it seems to me the form of 2019 Williams team suggests it desperately needs a competent TD that is technically astute and allowed to direct. So what was the failure here?

1. Was Paddy not at least marginally competent and astute? Considering his past accomplishments, such does not seem very likely.

2. Was Paddy not allowed to direct? Possibly a toxic work environment from Claire above and politicos below thwarting his every attempt, if so Williams F1 is done.

At any rate, this is a debacle reminiscent of USF1...only this "toaster" can be driven around a track, albeit a bit slowly. I for one would enjoy a "he said/she said" expose' story on this, moderated by Robert.

Manoah2u

I think they're not actively looking for a new TD because they have Patrick Head in an advisory role right now, so i'm not too shocked by that.
add to that their pockets aren't so deep at the moment, and i'm not at all surprised they are running without a TD. Then again, essentially, Patrick Head is just that right now.