2019 Williams F1 Team - Mercedes

This forum contains threads to discuss teams themselves. Anything not technical about the cars, including restructuring, performances etc belongs here.
Unc1eM0nty

Re: 2019 Williams F1 Team - Mercedes

From what Clare has said I think Patrick Heads role is pretty limted, someone to bounce ideas off, he's part time and apparently sometimes he doesn't come in, he just calls them

I've said it before but I can't see what this arrange brings apart from some level headed experiance

F1 has moved way on from the type of orgnasation he was sucessfull in

netoperek

Italian Motorsport has an interesting theory - Russel gets different "engine care" than Kubica. In a nutshell, George's engine drives like a Mercedes, while Robert's like Racing Point.
Source:
https://it.motorsport.com/f1/news/ecco- ... o/4482646/

Big Tea

netoperek wrote:
26 Jun 2019, 19:57
Italian Motorsport has an interesting theory - Russel gets different "engine care" than Kubica. In a nutshell, George's engine drives like a Mercedes, while Robert's like Racing Point.
Source:
Why would they make an engine 'less reliable'? If the engine that is delivered to them is a standard Merc unit, that is as good as it can be. To have a different engine would mean making one unit deliberately worse? No one would do that
When arguing with a fool, be sure the other person is not doing the same thing.

netoperek

Big Tea wrote:
26 Jun 2019, 20:39
netoperek wrote:
Source:
Why would they make an engine 'less reliable'? If the engine that is delivered to them is a standard Merc unit, that is as good as it can be. To have a different engine would mean making one unit deliberately worse? No one would do that
I don't know about reliability issues, I guess it's more about power. Article suggests that George drives "Casa" spec like Lewis and Robert gets a typical customer's spec, like Racing Point drivers. Russel is a Merc driver after all.

SmallSoldier

netoperek wrote:
Big Tea wrote:
netoperek wrote:
Source:
I don't know about reliability issues, I guess it's more about power. Article suggests that George drives "Casa" spec like Lewis and Robert gets a typical customer's spec, like Racing Point drivers. Russel is a Merc driver after all.
Can Mercedes do that though? Aren’t Manufacturers supposed to supply the teams with the same hardware and software?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Big Tea

SmallSoldier wrote:
26 Jun 2019, 22:13
netoperek wrote:
Big Tea wrote:

Can Mercedes do that though? Aren’t Manufacturers supposed to supply the teams with the same hardware and software?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
I assume they can do it with software as in 'modes' but can see no reason why they would. They are probably running far lower 'modes' than Merc and they have been bulletproof.
When arguing with a fool, be sure the other person is not doing the same thing.

Maritimer

Merc arent allowed to limit engine modes for customers, if Williams are running both cars differently that's on them. Why they would do that though is anyone's guess if its true.

bill shoe

netoperek wrote:
Source:
Thanks for the link, but the article makes no sense. Merc wants to evaluate Russell's ability to be successfull in F1. Williams will never race against other teams this season, so Russell's only competitive benchmark is Kubica. If Merc gave Russell an advantage over Kubica, then Merc would be precisely ruining the one competitive benchmark that can be salvaged from buying the Williams seat this year.

Tattoo-

netoperek wrote:
Source:
I would say this is just another PR attempt from Kubica camp to mask his uncompetitiveness compared to Russell. :? It's something similar to his previous excuse stories of "used parts" / "broken chassis" / "different treatment" /...

It pains me to see him so uncompetitive, but his best (racing) days are long gone...
"There are only three sports: bull fighting, car racing and mountain climbing. The rest are mere games!" - Ernest Hemingway

devra

Maritimer wrote:
27 Jun 2019, 00:23
Merc arent allowed to limit engine modes for customers, if Williams are running both cars differently that's on them. Why they would do that though is anyone's guess if its true.
Regulations are saying that you have to give all teams the same engine, but doesn't say that you have to give all the teams the same knowledge about it... Remember Grosjean at Spa.

NL_Fer

What was the reason the FW36 was so fast? Some saterday’s it was the quickest.

Cbckly917

NL_Fer wrote:
27 Jun 2019, 17:33
What was the reason the FW36 was so fast? Some saterday’s it was the quickest.
Very aero efficient car, with no major drawbacks except a lack of peak downforce at extremely low speed tracks.

NL_Fer

Low DF Low drag, now i remember. I guess they got lost on the path from 2014-2016 low DF to 2017+ high DF cars.

Maritimer

devra wrote:
27 Jun 2019, 15:59
Maritimer wrote:
27 Jun 2019, 00:23
Regulations are saying that you have to give all teams the same engine, but doesn't say that you have to give all the teams the same knowledge about it... Remember Grosjean at Spa.
I'm quite certain that's been amended since then, hardware and software must be identical across all teams using the same PU. Mercedes were the ones accused of having secret engine modes in the first place, I highly doubt they would still be trying something like that now.

Besides, if they made Williams aware of different settings and modes that may be optimal for a given race, why would they then only apply that knowledge to one car? No team would handicap themselves like that.

netoperek

Q1 sector times:
Whole weekend Robert looses to George in S1. In all sessions this weekend this has been the case. He has been hitting 17s +- 0.1s for most of the FP3, it's too consistent to be a driver fault.
Another weekend, where Robert looses in places, where power and traction is the key. Maybe those rumors have something in them.