2019 Williams F1 Team - Mercedes

This forum contains threads to discuss teams themselves. Anything not technical about the cars, including restructuring, performances etc belongs here.
Scorpaguy

Re: 2019 Williams F1 Team - Mercedes

Espresso wrote:
10 Oct 2019, 16:56
Scorpaguy wrote:
10 Oct 2019, 03:52
... (with Rus sucking hind tit). ....
You had a few typos. Don't feel guilty. I don't mind it at all.

But you need to help me out. But I got confused reading the following bit. :(
What did you mean with: 'with Rus sucking hind tit'

....the only plausible interpretations I could make was it was in regard to CW and you ment:
'1: with RUS sucking her tit'
'2: with RUS sucking her (be)hind and tit'S
Espresso...sorry for the late reply. If you are serious and not just poking fun...no typos. "Sucking the hind tit" is an expression meaning one is left with only the worst and least desirable options. Its etymology comes from suckling pigs and the amt of milk they receive from the sow...teets closer to the head of the sow produce more milk and such production wanes progressively towards the teets closer to the rear of the animal.

Inferring any type of such physical contact between Kub and CW was certainly not my intent.

Espresso

Wow, that's a great use of an expression. Thanks for the explanation!
Do you feel the need to post, comment or criticize in this forum?
Please substantiate (why, how, what) your reply!
This is no twitter or chatbox but a forum.

Stay friendly and keep away bashing, trolling & baiting from our wonderful technical forum. --> Forum Guide

PowerandtheGlory

netoperek wrote:
11 Oct 2019, 19:59
PowerandtheGlory wrote:
11 Oct 2019, 11:49
Thanks for an interesting read, would be great to hear some more anectodes from the pit wall :)
It was not meant offensive, as in my opinion Williams is not too deeply covered in media, most of what is reported are the statements directly from Williams, taken as they are, no questions asked. It actually takes some digging to find something other than that.
What You wrote is obviously right and things You pointed out would be expected. Problems arise when there are specific official claims,for example that they both ride with same specs, when they don't. When one driver is getting to drive a floor damaged in pre-season testing and even Williams engineers slip out that they have no clue why it behaves like it does (being to flexible to be precise), questions are asked and official statements keep saying all is fine, "equal treatment", then something is definitely not right out there. I pointed out how Robert is taken care of by his engineers during race weekends - direct comparison on what both drivers are being told to do, very much doesn't fit to "equal treatment". When Robert is in front and they're actually fighting for position, he gets lift and coast or engine mode changes to slow him down - It happened quite evidently at least on 3 races, from what I had time to look through the full race onboard descriptions. There where instances where Robert pointed out mistakes in what he is being told to by Paul, followed by either long silence or "oh, yes, You're right". That's not how F1 teams should work, wouldn't You say?
Some curious magic also happend to Robert's car during few friday nights, where it actually got worse on FP3s and Qs than it was in FP2. George's car never had that issue on those ocasions, so I guess it's not design or weather related. Usual answer from Robert is then along those lines: "I've got no clue what happened, we lost all the balance / grip we had".
May be that I lost perspective and blame them for more than they're responsible for. There were so many little things from Williams in last 2-3 seasons or so though, that I found annoying to me as their used-to-be-supporter, that I actually started expecting bad things from them and take what Claire is telling nowadays with a truckload of salt
That’s cool, I wouldn’t blame yourself because of Williams.. Williams were/are a great team.. but when you consider they were the last team other than merc Ferrari red bull to win it shows how F1 has gone very budget heavy in the last 10 years. Williams should have secured a proper works partnership deal with a big car maker years ago, they flirted with Toyota as well.. but were too stubborn to join forces.
Making kubica drive with A floor that has had carbon fibre repairs because they didn’t just have a new one is not ideal, but if they don’t have a part then that’s all they can do.
Making him lift and coast if the team have instructed is hopefully just the team actually telling him to go easy on the brakes or fuel consumption. I don’t know why a team would deliberately slow its own driver for any other reason in a race?? It just makes the team look worse and de-motivate the driver..But without car data we will never know.
I’m not sure how it could be the team slowing the car between sessions- but lots of teams find that track temp changes can knock out a car’s balance, a change of tyres or difference in wind conditions..can affect the car.
F1 team have all sorts of weird routines such as Honda alternating which driver goes out first in Q3 and who gets to TOW who- it changes per race. So it should be fair and no 1 driver being disadvantaged.
I’ve seen a lot of twitter videos and comments from people who feel that Williams aren’t treating Kubica fairly. I love the passion, but I don’t think there’s anything there other than frustration. There are some really inaccurate videos with side-by-sides in car with people asking how Kubica could be slower vs Russell.
It’s not even worth addressing those.
There is no doubt Williams haven’t delivered Kubica the car he deserved, but like in FP2 in Japan I thunk Kubica was quicker than Russell, so I think he’s been able to master and work around some of the limits he may have had earlier in the year, I’m not surprised that other teams want to have him onboard for 2020 with the oil sponsor, plus the fact he is an inspiring guy.
“I don't believe in luck, luck is preparation and taking your opportunity” Ross Brawn

search

PowerandtheGlory wrote:
12 Oct 2019, 15:08
There is no doubt Williams haven’t delivered Kubica the car he deserved, but like in FP2 in Japan I thunk Kubica was quicker than Russell, so I think he’s been able to master and work around some of the limits he may have had earlier in the year
no idea how much of a difference it made, but Kubica was using the new front wing in FP2 and Russel the old one (for comparison - neither of them will have it tomorrow). So it's difficult to compare those times

Scorpaguy

..not trying to feed the conspiracy, but those were certainly strange comments from Kub after his Quali 1 shunt.

...and on a lighter note, what the hell were the Williams mechanics doing in covering up the car before it was unloaded. I assume/hope other teams are not trying to copy design aspects of the FW42 :wtf:

Greg_OR

Scorpaguy wrote:
13 Oct 2019, 05:31
..not trying to feed the conspiracy, but those were certainly strange comments from Kub after his Quali 1 shunt.

...and on a lighter note, what the hell were the Williams mechanics doing in covering up the car before it was unloaded. I assume/hope other teams are not trying to copy design aspects of the FW42 :wtf:
They trying to hide the misery underneath, not to give an evidence of what they are doing to Robert. I'm seek of this team, but sky media will never tell truth about it

netoperek

PowerandtheGlory wrote:
It seems You might just have been overly optimistic regarding Williams. Today they pushed the line too far and made everything You and any F1 fan (me including) would rather refuse to believe could happen in F1 team. I've never seen Robert so pissed off and openly criticizing his team, not even in times he faced major f..kups in lower series or in rallying.
He got new specs wing for friday testing and felt for the first time this season (!) he could drive FW42 with a predictable response. Funny thing is, this wing isn't better than what George is using (George also tried it and was slower with it). There was apparently a risk that Robert will beat George when given a working, even if slower car, so they took that wing off without telling him. He also took Q crash on himself, despite it has been caused by the changes they've made to power steering settings. Robert commented that he should do better than going 15cm too wide (that's the distance he went too wide with his rear tire), even if the steering response caught him by surprise. It's a pity Robert was biting his tongue when he mentioned "other decisions" and I wonder who he meant by "people who aren't even here".
Robert praised mechanics for superb job and concluded that it's a shame that there's only so much they can (i.e. are allowed to) do. As I understand it, he's taking the blame for releasing him with different power steering map off the garage crew. That really sums up my feelings about Williams - the further from management the better. I'm not surprised so many employees left them already.

search

already on Thursday or Friday it was publicly stated, that the new wing would only be used on Friday, and neither driver would get it for the qualifying or race.

I understand that Kubica was upset about almost getting lapped by his team mate today, but he seems to be talking nonsense there

netoperek

search wrote:
13 Oct 2019, 19:15
already on Thursday or Friday it was publicly stated, that the new wing would only be used on Friday, and neither driver would get it for the qualifying or race.

I understand that Kubica was upset about almost getting lapped by his team mate today, but he seems to be talking nonsense there
Nope, You're half right, half wrong here. That indeed was the initial plan, which has changed after FP2 session. Official statement says, that they have later on decided to not use the new wing today, because of the higher risk of damage due to Hagibis and would mean they can't use it in Mexico. In previous statements it was meant for testing on THIS track, so bear in mind, that official versions tend to change a lot. They even had nerves to say they were right in this decision, given Roberts incident in Q1. As if it had nothing at all to do with switching FW to one used in barcelona, which couldn't even be properly set up in Roberts car, instead of one which actually worked halfway decent and power steering settings change. Especially against and without telling the driver who has to drive that junk at high speeds.
Does it matter how many times a driver will be lapped when it's proven that he is purposedly not being equipped with best gear available for him? This wing has been kept as reserve for race, so it's not as it has never been meant to be driven with. George didn't want this FW, as he was slower with it. Do You think it would still serve as a spare part if George wanted to keep it?

search

netoperek wrote:
13 Oct 2019, 19:57
Do You think it would still serve as a spare part if George wanted to keep it?
yes, I think so

wesley123

Manoah2u wrote:
10 Oct 2019, 16:52
As for sabotaging Kubica, it's a clear example.
Russell gets the goodies, Kubica doesn't. Kubica has to retire his car so that Russell can get his parts.
It's insulting to the bone.

and as for different material, and russell getting the better treatment, that has been going on since race 1.
I wouldn't want to say sabotaging. They've had issues with spares the whole season, which is now increasingly getting worse. They are probably entering the car with scrap parts by now.

As for the rest of the post I fully agree with you; Williams is in really bad weather right now, and with the way current things are going they have little chance to get back on top again.
"Bite my shiny metal ass" - Bender

PowerandtheGlory

netoperek wrote:
13 Oct 2019, 18:56
PowerandtheGlory wrote:
It seems You might just have been overly optimistic regarding Williams. Today they pushed the line too far and made everything You and any F1 fan (me including) would rather refuse to believe could happen in F1 team. I've never seen Robert so pissed off and openly criticizing his team, not even in times he faced major f..kups in lower series or in rallying.
He got new specs wing for friday testing and felt for the first time this season (!) he could drive FW42 with a predictable response. Funny thing is, this wing isn't better than what George is using (George also tried it and was slower with it). There was apparently a risk that Robert will beat George when given a working, even if slower car, so they took that wing off without telling him. He also took Q crash on himself, despite it has been caused by the changes they've made to power steering settings. Robert commented that he should do better than going 15cm too wide (that's the distance he went too wide with his rear tire), even if the steering response caught him by surprise. It's a pity Robert was biting his tongue when he mentioned "other decisions" and I wonder who he meant by "people who aren't even here".
Robert praised mechanics for superb job and concluded that it's a shame that there's only so much they can (i.e. are allowed to) do. As I understand it, he's taking the blame for releasing him with different power steering map off the garage crew. That really sums up my feelings about Williams - the further from management the better. I'm not surprised so many employees left them already.
Agreed. Just read Kubica's comments and he seemed pretty annoyed. I feel his relationship with the team is deteriorating, and that isnt a good thing. The wing gave him good feeling in the car, and i can see why he would want to keep this. I hope they get to use this in Mexico.. and have a spare as well.... the spares situation is not a good thing right now with Williams.. He deserves to be able to have a good feeling in the car and finish the season on a high. I think he was mostly annoyed as the decision to take off the wing was something made above his head, and as the driver in the car it would be nice if he had a voice in that decision..
“I don't believe in luck, luck is preparation and taking your opportunity” Ross Brawn

Lotus102

I don’t see any circumstances where the wing would have been used competitively so Kubica’s comments are very strange and to me, not very credible. When the wing was first announced it was very clear that it was an experimental item principally aimed at data gathering for next season. Dave Robson suggested that it might be used in races later in the season if it showed a benefit, but very clearly “not at this stage”. It makes zero sense to me that the team would then change their view and suggest that the single new wing would be raced, then change back again. That would be courting disaster. For what? Even with the new wing, they could not have realistically hoped to be further up the grid. Maybe Kubica wouldn’t have come within five seconds of being lapped by his teammate, but otherwise where’s the advantage to RWR?

Kubica’s relationship with the team is clearly shot (I believe it was shot some time ago) but if he’s that unhappy with the way things are being conducted, he can always walk away. I just don’t see what he hopes to achieve with comments like this. Maybe he didn’t understand that the wing was just for experimental use, but really?

fellowhoodlums

Sad reality is that Kubica is slower than Russell. Has been since Melbourne. Consequently he's been dropped and he's p**sed off.

IF there is genuine favouritism then that is because Russell is going to be there next season and that's perfectly acceptable.

Lynx

Most of you are again in apocalyptic mood regarding Williams, but some of you predicted already in March that the team will fold after 4 races of 2019, so whatever... I was a big fan of Robert returning this year and I admired his comeback. But after the last couple of races I've lost much respect for him. You just don't wash the dirty laundry in public. And he does that... His constant conspiracy theories against the team are getting annoying and don't do anything good other than create even more negativity around the team. I mean, why would the team sabotage its own driver? The success story of RK would be mega also for Williams, so I do not see any logic behind that.
In reality he is unfortunately constantly slower than his teammate with basically the same car specification (same aero, and same or even newer Spec 3 engine ATM). The team worked miracles to get the spare chassis ready for the race in Japan and then for return they got served through the media that story of old front wing (and yes, I know that he thanked the mechanics for their part). Luckily they had put the old FW on the car, so that the old one got broken in the crash. Read the winners and losers section on f1.com, they got it quite right about that.
Don't get me wrong though. The team is underfunded and in a tough situation. I imagine they want to come through the rest of this year with as little expenses as possible, so that's why they have low stock of spare parts again. If there would be no new financial rules on the way for 2021 I would say that the future looks poor, but with the new rules imminent they will get through the storm somehow. I imagine Frank still has a number of an old and now retired Friend to get some loan from until better times arrive...