2019 Scuderia Toro Rosso F1 Team - Honda

This forum contains threads to discuss teams themselves. Anything not technical about the cars, including restructuring, performances etc belongs here.
restless
restless

Re: 2019 Scuderia Toro Rosso F1 Team - Honda

HPD wrote:
17 Mar 2019, 15:48
I do not want to enter into controversy. But by the middle of the year we can see Kvyat in RB.
RB needs points to fight for the two championships.

TR ran with less aerodynamic load than RB (Horner said). That's why they were so fast on the straights
I hope not.
As much as I like Kvyat, I hope Horner&Marco learnt their lesson. After such "demotion" Gasly would be burned and useless.

etusch

After his first performance of last season I thought Gasly is champion of future. Now I don't think that way. But I don't think that he is bad driver. He will show good performance I expect.

Big Tea

etusch wrote:
18 Mar 2019, 16:29
After his first performance of last season I thought Gasly is champion of future. Now I don't think that way. But I don't think that he is bad driver. He will show good performance I expect.
As I said previously, he looked very good when Hartley was his team mate, but we really did not have a yardstick for Hartley. We just assumed he was , erm ? 'not the very best'. If he was not even as good as that, then where does our judgment on Gasly go?
When arguing with a fool, be sure the other person is not doing the same thing.

Capharol
Capharol

Big Tea wrote:
18 Mar 2019, 17:09
etusch wrote:
As I said previously, he looked very good when Hartley was his team mate, but we really did not have a yardstick for Hartley. We just assumed he was , erm ? 'not the very best'. If he was not even as good as that, then where does our judgment on Gasly go?
and who are we to already judge Gasly.... #-o

Qualifying went wrong..... team mistake, not Gasly's
finishing 11th in Melbourne.... becaus A) Melbourne is a difficult track to overtake and B) the setup of the TR was in the benefit of TR the only places to pass, Kvyat could hold the gap because of the better setup.

but it's way easier to write "Gasly isn't good enough"
do I need you guys to remember where Kvyat has become his nickname from? ... in which car did he do that? ..... correct a Red Bull.

so keep it down with the negativity towards Gasly, it was the first race of the season, let see where he stands when F1 hits the summerbreak =D>

Big Tea

Capharol wrote:
18 Mar 2019, 17:25
Big Tea wrote:
etusch wrote:

finishing 11th in Melbourne.... becaus A) Melbourne is a difficult track to overtake and B) the setup of the TR was in the benefit of TR the only places to pass, Kvyat could hold the gap because of the better setup.

do I need you guys to remember where Kvyat has become his nickname from? ... in which car did he do that? ..... correct a Red Bull.

so keep it down with the negativity towards Gasly, it was the first race of the season, let see where he stands when F1 hits the summerbreak =D>

Irrespective of what went wrong, it is still true that we only have his performance against another 'unknown quality' to judge him.

He may be excellent, only time will tell, so lets give him a chance, but we still will not have a measure until they get a comparable race. I am NOT waving my arms saying he is NOT good, just that we have made assumptions (and I liked Hartley, so..)

Capharol
Capharol

Big Tea wrote:
18 Mar 2019, 18:29
Capharol wrote:
Big Tea wrote:

Irrespective of what went wrong, it is still true that we only have his performance against another 'unknown quality' to judge him.

He may be excellent, only time will tell, so lets give him a chance, but we still will not have a measure until they get a comparable race. I am NOT waving my arms saying he is NOT good, just that we have made assumptions (and I liked Hartley, so..)
in my opinion ....wrong he didn't only drove against Hartley last season he drove against 18 other drivers, taking in the factor other car, etc. it still gives a good picture of how a driver preforms

Big Tea

Capharol wrote:
18 Mar 2019, 18:35
Big Tea wrote:
Capharol wrote:

in my opinion ....wrong he didn't only drove against Hartley last season he drove against 18 other drivers, taking in the factor other car, etc. it still gives a good picture of how a driver preforms
But how did you know he did not have the 3rd best car on the grid? :mrgreen:

Capharol
Capharol

Big Tea wrote:
18 Mar 2019, 18:41
Capharol wrote:
18 Mar 2019, 18:35
Big Tea wrote:

But how did you know he did not have the 3rd best car on the grid? :mrgreen:
its not only about the car, there comes more to it to be a good driver, how does he handle a good preformance? how does he handle bad onces? etc.

McMika98
McMika98

Gasly is decent, same level to Giovinazzi nothing spectacular. Likes of Leclrec and Hulk are much better. Anyways Bahrain could be quite something for the team if they can manage to luck into similar setup as last year. They can add some downforce without sacrificing speed, podium for one of the guys?

HPD

McMika98 wrote:
18 Mar 2019, 22:44
podium for one of the guys?
No... that's too much for my taste :lol:
But I hope they challenge Haas

Big Tea

I assume the team would prefer to have 2 cars in the 7 to 10 positions and know it is because the cars and drivers are good enough, than to luck into a podium

A podium is good on the day, but a progressing car is good all year. I see no reason why both cars can not score in most races, with the occasional muff up and lost opportunity.

Edit

Which is not to say I would not love to see them on the steps. :D

Jambier

McMika98 wrote:
18 Mar 2019, 22:44
Gasly is decent, same level to Giovinazzi nothing spectacular. Likes of Leclrec and Hulk are much better. Anyways Bahrain could be quite something for the team if they can manage to luck into similar setup as last year. They can add some downforce without sacrificing speed, podium for one of the guys?
It's difficult to judge Gasly.
He was not a killer in GP2, and was compared last year to one of the weakest driver of F1....
So now, he is in front of one of the faster, we will see quite soon what he is made of.

Leclerc looks much more promising, but he will have to beat Vettel first ( easier than beating VES), and I think even Vandoorne showed more than GAS

So let's see.

Wouter

Jambier wrote:
19 Mar 2019, 15:55

It's difficult to judge Gasly.
He was not a killer in GP2, and was compared last year to one of the weakest driver of F1....???
So now, he is in front of one of the faster, we will see quite soon what he is made of.
In January 2016, it was announced Gasly would drive for newcomers Prema Powerteam alongside 2015 European Formula 3 runner-up and GP2 rookie Antonio Giovinazzi. He became the GP2 Series champion that season.

In February 2017, Gasly was announced to join Team Mugen to drive a Red Bull-sponsored Honda at the 2017 Super Formula Championship. The final weekend was canceled because the bad weather.

Pos Driver SUZ OKA FUJ MOT AUT SUG SUZ Points
1 Japan Hiroaki Ishiura 4 8 2 1 4 4 6 C C 33.5
2 France Pierre Gasly 10 19 7 5 1 1 2 C C 33
The Power of Dreams!

Sieper

I also rate Gasly higher then the last few comments. In fact, I am very curious to see what happens next race in Q3.

Ground Effect
Ground Effect

Gasly isn't a bad driver at all, I think he'll do well. He's got speed, but it doesn't always seem to show on a consistent level. But with Max as a teammate, he has to, because he's needed for the constructors title. If there's any problem with Gasly, I think like Horner said, maybe he's been promoted a year too early, just like Kvyat was. Another year in STR would have done his development a world of good. But he's been thrown into the deep end now, head first and he'll have to give a good response. I think this also shows just how good Max is, he had a much smoother transition, without the benefit of pre season testing.
Q: (Stefano Mancini – La Stampa) Kimi, will you help Vettel to win his championship this year?
Kimi Raikkonen: I can only drive one car, obviously. 
@2018 Singapore Grand Prix drivers press conference.