2019 Scuderia Toro Rosso F1 Team - Honda

This forum contains threads to discuss teams themselves. Anything not technical about the cars, including restructuring, performances etc belongs here.
Datco

Re: 2019 Scuderia Toro Rosso F1 Team - Honda

GhostF1 wrote:
24 May 2019, 16:09
Datco wrote:
24 May 2019, 15:31
ispano6 wrote:
24 May 2019, 15:24

Nope, not incidental.
Why?
They using a Honda PU that sits further back, with a gearbox designed for a PU that sat further front. In other words the drive train is longer forcing a longer wheelbase.
Even if that were true, do you really think they decided on a wheelbase and thought the only way to do this is design a "long" gearbox.. seems extremely wasteful and just a point of needless weight.

The only comments I've seen on this is that the Honda PU does not have the turbo overhanging massively out the back, so it doesn't enter the gearcase where the Renault actually had the turbine entering the box. That aided reliability and temperature control. Yes the engine sits further back but it is a considerably shorter package.
It is true. The fact you indicating they had the option to design the gearbox tells me you have not followed this much
They did not design the gearbox. It's a hand down from from last year's RBR. That's why I say it's incidental, they were given a gearbox
It's not about the turbo entering the gear case, that is insane, it's about the gap that the Honda split turbo has to take at the front the the Renault did not have to.

Wouter

A few months ago he never drove an F1 car before!! He did an amazing job today!! =D> =D> =D>

Alex Albon:

“I’m happy to make it to my first Q3, although it wasn’t easy out there as I couldn’t find a good rhythm – it wasn’t as good as Thursday. I was on the back foot for most of the session trying to get the tyres to work. It was also a matter of getting confidence: you arrive at Turn 1, the tyres are really cold as you’ve spent Sector 3 going at pedestrian pace, and you get to the first corner not knowing exactly what’s going to happen! However, we can be happy with P10 in Monaco as it can always lead to something good.”
Full report.

https://scuderiatororosso.redbull.com/e ... uali-2019/
The Power of Dreams!

McMika98

Wouter wrote:
25 May 2019, 18:32
A few months ago he never drove an F1 car before!! He did an amazing job today!! =D> =D> =D>
Alex Albon:

“I’m happy to make it to my first Q3, although it wasn’t easy out there as I couldn’t find a good rhythm – it wasn’t as good as Thursday. I was on the back foot for most of the session trying to get the tyres to work. It was also a matter of getting confidence: you arrive at Turn 1, the tyres are really cold ”
Bit disappointed in the outcome as i expected much more from Alex, was easily quicker than Dani until quali. Its not a criticism but a measure of how much i rate him that he could not get higher position which was possible. Based on sector times he struggled with sector 1 was always on lagging throughout quali. Once he gets the hang of tyre warm routine, i expect him to outqualify Kvyat who himself is doing a stellar job but not the talent that Albon is.

search

decent performance from both drivers yesterday, but with a perfect lap I think P4 or P5 would have been within reach for Kvyat. Now, instead of fighting for the podium, they'll be stuck behind Magnussen all race instead, so it's still a bit bittersweet.

Albon was not "easily quicker until quali" btw. Kvyat also beat him in FP3, and AmuS mentioned some rumors that Albon was underfueled on Thursday to better get into the flow.

McMika98

search wrote:
26 May 2019, 07:09
decent performance from both drivers yesterday, but with a perfect lap I think P4 or P5 would have been within reach for Kvyat. Now, instead of fighting for the podium, they'll be stuck behind Magnussen all race instead, so it's still a bit bittersweet.

Albon was not "easily quicker until quali" btw. Kvyat also beat him in FP3, and AmuS mentioned some rumors that Albon was underfueled on Thursday to better get into the flow.
Albons FP2 lap which was on lap8 was faster than Kyvat Fp3 time. He was most likely running same fuel load as Kvyat and spec 1 engine. He struggled yesterday on the beginning of the lap. S3 is the best measure of driver quality and commitment, after Riccairdo he was best of the rest.

I do worry that Nico with fresh tyres will most likely get a jump and take the final points away.

GhostF1

Excellent double points haul for the boys today. Great driving from the both of them!

Marti_EF3

7th on the WCC and near the 5th! Good result today! Seems we will have a good season with STR finally with 2 drivers delivering and consistent at the moment! =D>

McMika98

Could have been P6 and P7 had Kvyat held to T3, he ended up blocking Albon who had the inside line against Sainz.
Just goes to show how bonkers the tyres are once outside the window. No setup pr aero loading could help Hamilton who was as slow as the Williams.
2019 is all about tyres so far and not the aero superiority that people focus on.

Datco

Was the best of the rest car today. Should have gotten P6, they should have pitted Kyvat before Saintz. At least in constructors they now ahead of Renault, tie with Haas and one point behind Racing Point.

godlameroso

Goes to show how tight the midfield is. Both TR drivers have had bad luck and they're right in the thick of the midfield battle.
Saishū kōnā

Jambier

Yes very tight

Racing Point is IMHO much higher than it should be, I expect Renault, Haas and Toro Rosso to be ahead at some point, they should.

In fact, even the Alfa seems better than the Racing Point

And Toro Rosso is better that it seems as well

Big Tea

2 points off 5th? not bad.
When arguing with a fool, be sure the other person is not doing the same thing.

Marti_EF3

Is STR14 using RB14 rear end and gearbox yet?? They said something about upgrading it to RB15 style mid-season?

sn809

I think Kvyat needs to be reminded to be a team player. He should have defended against Sainz and let Albon pass or even let him pass in the later stages when Albon had fresher tyres.

Ground Effect

sn809 wrote:
29 May 2019, 08:57
I think Kvyat needs to be reminded to be a team player. He should have defended against Sainz and let Albon pass or even let him pass in the later stages when Albon had fresher tyres.
No driver will allow a teammate through without a specific order, or maybe if he has a terminal problem. If the order didn't come, then it means the team realized it wouldn't make a difference. Kvyat wasn't slow, he most likely had a quicker car overall than Sainz, but you need a big advantage in car performance to overtake around Monaco. Max couldn't get past Lewis despite his tyre strugles. It's unlikely Albon would have done more than Kvyat.
Q: (Stefano Mancini – La Stampa) Kimi, will you help Vettel to win his championship this year?
Kimi Raikkonen: I can only drive one car, obviously. 
@2018 Singapore Grand Prix drivers press conference.