2019 Scuderia Toro Rosso F1 Team - Honda

This forum contains threads to discuss teams themselves. Anything not technical about the cars, including restructuring, performances etc belongs here.
ispano6

Re: 2019 Scuderia Toro Rosso F1 Team - Honda

I feel a bit bad for Albon, podium could have been his as well. Post race interviews highlighted how he got held up by Hamilton and as he put it "undercut by others" and left hung out to dry. Kvyat had the pace though and the nerves, but Albon gained valuable experience driving in the wet. The last time Kvyat drove in the wet he ended up in the wall at Singapore and effectively lost his drive. As a Kvyat fan it was awesome to see this drive from him.

HPD

8)
The junior race team gets big parts of the car from the big brother. You are still in the learning phase. "We are at an early stage. Only in 2021 will we see the true fruits of close cooperation, "says Marko.
https://www.auto-motor-und-sport.de/for ... ockenheim/

loner

with a rebranding name perhaps
para bellum.

nzjrs

nzjrs wrote:
29 Jul 2019, 16:21
restless wrote:
29 Jul 2019, 16:11
Actually TR has big problem - updates do not work as expected.
At least DK said so in interview Saturday after qualy.
face it - the rain helped, the gamble with slicks too. On dry in normal conditions tha car had no pace for more than point or two.
Year after year, same story - good start, then low gains from updates :/
I don't disagree, but watching on-boards, that car was handling very well in the rain. The Albon vs Hamilton battle, and the Gasly vs Albon battle (the earlier ones especially) were very instructive. The TR looked like a good car even when compared to RB.
I correct myself. Acording to AMUS the didn't run the updates in the rain https://www.auto-motor-und-sport.de/for ... ockenheim/

Datco

nzjrs wrote:
29 Jul 2019, 17:18
nzjrs wrote:
restless wrote:
face it - the rain helped, the gamble with slicks too. On dry in normal conditions tha car had no pace for more than point or two.
I don't disagree, but watching on-boards, that car was handling very well in the rain. The Albon vs Hamilton battle, and the Gasly vs Albon battle (the earlier ones especially) were very instructive. The TR looked like a good car even when compared to RB.
I correct myself. Acording to AMUS the didn't run the updates in the rain https://www.auto-motor-und-sport.de/for ... ockenheim/
Did they not run updates because it was going to rain or because it did not work? They seemed pretty decent on Friday.

McMika98

nzjrs wrote:
restless wrote:
Fp1 Dany ran the upgrade and Alex base spec and Alex was more or less same pace whilst the competition were flying. Shame as i was expecting a jump in performance like the other competitiors. Hope they get it to work and not be another Haas story. Hungary should be interesting as Toro Rosso have always done well there.
They need the big brother to help by giving hints on the direction, eliminating dead end developments

Hino

A rare happy Franz Tost...

Big Tea

Hay Franz, your mate Pierre is coming back next week!!
When arguing with a fool, be sure the other person is not doing the same thing.

Espresso

ispano6 wrote:
29 Jul 2019, 16:39
I feel a bit bad for Albon, podium could have been his as well. Post race interviews highlighted how he got held up by Hamilton and as he put it "undercut by others" and left hung out to dry. Kvyat had the pace though and the nerves, but Albon gained valuable experience driving in the wet. The last time Kvyat drove in the wet he ended up in the wall at Singapore and effectively lost his drive. As a Kvyat fan it was awesome to see this drive from him.
I think Kvyat is underestimated and underrated by the majority. Given the time and chances he's grown into a 'smart torpedo' to be reckoned with. And it might be that becoming a dad was the key change.

Another important (mostly invisible factor) in 2019 is the sudden lack of magical improvement at Ferraris during race weekends and the absence of praise by Seb to the simulator team is due to Giovinazzi and Kvyat leaving.

That 2018 team did something extraordinary good. Enabling the title fight.
Giovinazzi must be a good simulator driver so kudos to him as it earned him a seat.
(Okay might be possible Ferrari had a hole to fill at Alfa after Nicolas Todt got LeClerc pushmoted to Ferrari)
So I reckon Kvyat was at the least 50% of the driving force for the 'weekend' improvements.
Showing that beside his drivings skills he's got a remarkable ability to optimize a car in a very very progressive way.

Only one personal remark to Kvyat: "Kvyat, girls can drive...and maybe your daughter is the one..."
Do you feel the need to post, comment or criticize in this forum?
Please substantiate (why, how, what) your reply!
This is no twitter or chatbox but a forum.

Stay friendly and keep away bashing, trolling & baiting from our wonderful technical forum. --> Forum Guide

restless

Espresso wrote:
01 Aug 2019, 10:51
Only one personal remark to Kvyat: "Kvyat, girls can drive...and maybe your daughter is the one..."
/off With such father... and when your grandfather is 2 times F1 WC ... :)

Morteza

"A fool thinks himself to be wise, but a wise man knows himself to be a fool."~William Shakespeare

Wouter

Cute!! :D =D> Thanks for posting @Morteza.
The Power of Dreams!

McMika98

Damn these updates are not delivering the goods. Kvyat had them and he was outside top 10, luckily Albon didnt use the update so he could have one tomorrow if they decide its worthwhile. Haas will excel here, Toro Rosso should also do well but lets see.

Pyrone89

restless wrote:
01 Aug 2019, 12:47
Espresso wrote:
01 Aug 2019, 10:51
/off With such father... and when your grandfather is 2 times F1 WC ... :)
3 times
True GOATs don’t need the help of superior material to win.

Tom Brady, Usain Bolt are true GOATs.

Manoah2u

I'm gonna be honest here, i haven't been too fond of kvyat in the past, but i think i'm pretty wrong in my assumptions.
i did notice he's very fast, but tends to lose 'it' under stress, but i think that's dwelling too much in the past.
He does very much seem like a very down-to-earth bloke who'd be good company. he does put in some stellar performances and that whislt recently becoming a dad, so handling a variety of things and some levels of stress is clearly well manageable for him. What i do see this year more than ever is Kvyat enjoying his time.
I actually hope he is going to stay a season or 2 longer.

I do still feel i prefered Vitali Petrov, but that's a chapter closed.

I hope to see Kvyat stay a season or 2, and Albon go to RedBull - or Kvyat back to RedBull, and Gasly back to Toro Rosso, or just, out, and in with something new. Perhaps Honda's personal driver.
"Explain the ending to F1 in football terms"
"Hamilton was beating Verstappen 7-0, then the ref decided F%$& rules, next goal wins
while also sending off 4 Hamilton players to make it more interesting"