2019 Scuderia Toro Rosso F1 Team - Honda

This forum contains threads to discuss teams themselves. Anything not technical about the cars, including restructuring, performances etc belongs here.
Big Tea

Re: 2019 Scuderia Toro Rosso F1 Team - Honda

I await the soap opera of this. get the nibbles and tinnies in

(edited, I don't like popcorn)
When arguing with a fool, be sure the other person is not doing the same thing.

nevill3

Just to add to the clarification the listed parts include....
Bodywork as defined in Article 1.4 of the F1 Technical Regulations and regulated by Article 3 of the F1 Technical Regulations with the exception of airboxes, engine exhausts and any prescribed bodywork geometries
Here is the definition of 1.4 Bodywork
1.4 Bodywork :
All entirely sprung parts of the car in contact with the external air stream, except cameras, camera housings, rear view mirrors as defined in Article 14.3, ERS status lights, the secondary roll structure and associated fixings and fairings and the parts definitely associated with the mechanical functioning of the engine, transmission and running gear. Airboxes, radiators and engine exhausts are considered to be part of the bodywork
So teams cannot directly use the same aero parts as a competitor or aquire the drawings and diagrams either.

I do remember reading that teams cannot use a competitors previously raced chassis or bodywork somewhere but cannot find the exact regulation at the moment it may come to me where I read it.
Sent from my Commodore PET in 1978

nevill3

So my current understanding is that teams can use...
  • the same gearbox and engine as a competitor
    The front and rear suspension and its associated mounts
    and not much else, maybe wheels, hubs and brakes including the brake cooling solutions (They are not part of the sprung weight)
Quite restrictive really so Torro Rosso will have to design their own Tub, crash structures and aero panels/parts. The main advantage they could have would be to have "hands on" access to old Red Bull parts instead of relying on photography to measure and interpret desirable aero ideas.
Sent from my Commodore PET in 1978

Big Tea

nevill3 wrote:
22 Jan 2019, 23:18
    and not much else, maybe wheels, hubs and brakes including the brake cooling solutions (They are not part of the sprung weight)
Quite restrictive really so Torro Rosso will have to design their own Tub, crash structures and aero panels/parts. The main advantage they could have would be to have "hands on" access to old Red Bull parts instead of relying on photography to measure and interpret desirable aero ideas.
I bet it could become a real tin of worms debating what is 'different' and 'same' :twisted:
Nah, they look the same BUT this one has 3 slots in it the other has 2 (etc.)
When arguing with a fool, be sure the other person is not doing the same thing.

Capharol

Big Tea wrote:
22 Jan 2019, 23:38
nevill3 wrote:
22 Jan 2019, 23:18
I bet it could become a real tin of worms debating what is 'different' and 'same' :twisted:
Nah, they look the same BUT this one has 3 slots in it the other has 2 (etc.)
of course TR will use old designs (parts) from a RB14 with minor changes, or at least try it, which won't effect the car in anyway, but enough to say "see, we made our own design"

(at least that's how would i go about it)

Ground Effect

One thing is for sure, as we saw with Haas, we'll very likely see a reasonably big jump in performance with Toro Rosso under this new arrangement.
Q: (Stefano Mancini – La Stampa) Kimi, will you help Vettel to win his championship this year?
Kimi Raikkonen: I can only drive one car, obviously. 
@2018 Singapore Grand Prix drivers press conference.

Manoah2u

Ground Effect wrote:
23 Jan 2019, 11:29
One thing is for sure, as we saw with Haas, we'll very likely see a reasonably big jump in performance with Toro Rosso under this new arrangement.
'as with haas'?

what on earth are you talking about.
Haas started from scratch in their arrangement, so there never has been any 'big jump' in regards. Haas was not HRT or Manor or anything like that, they did this from scratch.

the only team making a jump recently was Sauber thanks to their partnership with Ferrari through AlfaRomeo. And not the least because of losing key parasite Kaltenborn.

Toro Rosso started their partnership with Honda last year, so either way they're in a better position 2019 season than the 2018 season. Kvyat returns, which is a better driver on himself then gasly and hartley combined. the combination of these factors alone should be enough to help toro rosso in a better position than in 2018.

this 'new' arrangement, btw, is nothing new at all, as it's something toro rosso had for years before that 'recipy' was ruined due to rules changing. before, they were running RB parts anyway. it's back to familiar territory.
also, the RB parts, gearbox, etc. all combined is much better than what they ran with last year anyway, and again, it saves them a ton of money, so obviously, there are nothing but ingredients to be in an overly better position than in 2018.
"Explain the ending to F1 in football terms"
"Hamilton was beating Verstappen 7-0, then the ref decided F%$& rules, next goal wins
while also sending off 4 Hamilton players to make it more interesting"

NathanOlder

Manoah2u wrote:
23 Jan 2019, 15:46
Ground Effect wrote:
'as with haas'?

Haas started from scratch in their arrangement, so there never has been any 'big jump' in regards. Haas was not HRT or Manor or anything like that, they did this from scratch.
I think he was talking about Haas beinhg 8th and then 8th, then with a 'ferrari replica' jumping to 5th and scoring more points than the previous 2 years combined.

Toro Rosso could be about to do the same thing with a potential RB14 replica.
GoLandoGo
Lewis v2.0
King George has arrived.

New found love for GT racing with Assetto Corsa Competizione on PS5 & PC

Ground Effect

NathanOlder wrote:
23 Jan 2019, 18:28
Manoah2u wrote:
Ground Effect wrote:
'as with haas'?

I think he was talking about Haas beinhg 8th and then 8th, then with a 'ferrari replica' jumping to 5th and scoring more points than the previous 2 years combined.

Toro Rosso could be about to do the same thing with a potential RB14 replica.
Thanks, that's actually what I was referring to.
Q: (Stefano Mancini – La Stampa) Kimi, will you help Vettel to win his championship this year?
Kimi Raikkonen: I can only drive one car, obviously. 
@2018 Singapore Grand Prix drivers press conference.

ispano6

It's quite a no brainer. Having STR earn millions more in prize money will only help the RB family. Added bonus is to be ahead of both Renault and McLaren at the end of 2019.

GPR-A

NathanOlder wrote:
23 Jan 2019, 18:28
Manoah2u wrote:
Ground Effect wrote:
'as with haas'?

In reality, it's not 5th, it's 6th. If not for the Force India points situation. Haas was behind Williams and STR in 2017. We know how much Williams regressed and how STR's new partnership with Honda started.

NathanOlder

But they still scored more points last season than they have in the previous 2 years combined. What ever way you look at it, they improved massively. 93 points last season even thought they threw away 18 points in Australian in a way no one has ever done before. Against 47pts in 17, and 29pts in 16. So with the Ferrari clone, they improved massively.
GoLandoGo
Lewis v2.0
King George has arrived.

New found love for GT racing with Assetto Corsa Competizione on PS5 & PC

GPR-A

NathanOlder wrote:
31 Jan 2019, 09:24
But they still scored more points last season than they have in the previous 2 years combined. What ever way you look at it, they improved massively. 93 points last season even thought they threw away 18 points in Australian in a way no one has ever done before. Against 47pts in 17, and 29pts in 16. So with the Ferrari clone, they improved massively.
I am not arguing the increase in performance, but providing a perspective of their finishing position.

HPD

The international company myWorld signs a multi-year agreement with Toro Rosso starting from 2019
https://scuderiatororosso.redbull.com/e ... ip-myworld

Navy blue :?: dark blue :?: