2019 Renault F1 Team

This forum contains threads to discuss teams themselves. Anything not technical about the cars, including restructuring, performances etc belongs here.
Ground Effect

Re: 2019 Renault F1 Team

Capharol wrote:
01 Apr 2019, 14:51
Jambier wrote:
01 Apr 2019, 14:43
So... For once not finding excuses.

But what did he proposed then?
Maybe he is the problem.

Renault is fighting for P4 this year. That was 2018 goal.

In 2019 they should be fighting with Red Bull when possible and rest of the time be clear P4

Even with reliability it will not be the case, so many work to do again on the chassis.

I'm curious to see if this year they will bring good updates, both on chassis and engine because it was a weak point in both domains last year
as writen in the article, they're MGU-K is a problem since the start of 2017, and it still hasn't been fixed, i wonder what they do at Renault.
knowing your weakpoint but aren't able to fix it .... that's bad
But didn't they introduce a new MGU-K for the second half of last season? I don't recall them having issues with it.
Q: (Stefano Mancini – La Stampa) Kimi, will you help Vettel to win his championship this year?
Kimi Raikkonen: I can only drive one car, obviously. 
@2018 Singapore Grand Prix drivers press conference.

Jambier

Capharol wrote:
01 Apr 2019, 14:51
Jambier wrote:
01 Apr 2019, 14:43
So... For once not finding excuses.

But what did he proposed then?
Maybe he is the problem.

Renault is fighting for P4 this year. That was 2018 goal.

In 2019 they should be fighting with Red Bull when possible and rest of the time be clear P4

Even with reliability it will not be the case, so many work to do again on the chassis.

I'm curious to see if this year they will bring good updates, both on chassis and engine because it was a weak point in both domains last year
as writen in the article, they're MGU-K is a problem since the start of 2017, and it still hasn't been fixed, i wonder what they do at Renault.
knowing your weakpoint but aren't able to fix it .... that's bad
Yeah what is strange in that in 2018 they bring a new version to Renault's car ( RB sticking to the old one)
And they were no more issues, except for RB with the old one

But since this winter testing, they report having issues again with the MGU-K.
I don't understand how this is possible, they are the only engine maker to have that kind of "unsolvable" issues

It's a shame because on the thermic engine, progress are good.

Morteza

Nico's start
"A fool thinks himself to be wise, but a wise man knows himself to be a fool."~William Shakespeare

adrianjordan

Did Mclaren help Honda with their MGU-K? Could Renault and Mclaren work together to solve the current MGU-K issues?

I think at this stage they have to accept they will have some penalties for new parts and maybe introduce new spec versions to try and fund the reliability to go along with their new performance...
Favourite driver: Lando Norris
Favourite team: McLaren

Turned down the chance to meet Vettel at Silverstone in 2007. He was a test driver at the time and I didn't think it was worth queuing!! 🤦🏻‍♂️

Jaisonas

adrianjordan wrote:
01 Apr 2019, 22:53
Did Mclaren help Honda with their MGU-K?
Not really, Honda didnt fix their MGU-K until their bahrain race last year with toro rosso. However, they did start a development partnership with their turbo provider to get even better results.

ispano6

Jambier wrote:
31 Mar 2019, 01:51
Renault PU seem better than Honda

RIC is far from pace, HUL should have fight with MAG
My MGU-K prediction was correct.

Cyril finally admits they need to switch focus to reliability. The drivers seem pretty irritated. Unfortunately for Renault Ricciardo and Budkowski won't be able to divulge anything of substance in terms of helping fix the MGU-K so they will need to find their own solution the hard way.

Now that Honda is the better PU thanks to MGU-K reliability, Red Bull switching to Honda really was masterstroke. Red Bull definitely have no regrets dropping the Renault PU that some here wanted to believe. McLaren on the other hand will need to act cordial with Renault or risk facing B team treatment. It seems Renault is willing to let McLaren(be king and) try out fixes first being a paying customer. But if Renault and McLaren both are fighting for 4th in the championship come end of season, that will be interesting to see play out.

PowerandtheGlory

Agreed that Reliability was bad, but i cannot accept that the Honda PU is better than the Renault, there is much more parity this year. A quick look at the lap times in the grand prix will show you where the Honda and Renault cars have stacked up.

These times all including Power, driveability, tyres, aero, DRS zones, the track getting more rubber etc etc blah blah same for everyone ... but these times make for interesting reading;

Kyvat 1.34.934 HONDA
Hulk 1.35.215 RENAULT Set on lap 14
Gasly 1.35.291 . HONDA
Max 1.35.311 . HONDA set on lap 47
Carlos 1.35.586 . RENAULT . set on lap 42
Norris 1.35.777 . RENAULT
Ricc 1.36.697 . RENAULT
Albon 1.36.752 . HONDA

I'd say there's parity in those times. and personally if i was Christian Horner, he will either be thinking The Renault & McLaren chassis is very good if Hulk & Sainz are that fast, or their Engine is pretty Decent ( before it blows up obviously).....

Much more parity this year.... oh and Toro rosso quicker than a Redbull apparently... The idea they could just bolt in the honda and challenge Ferrari and Merc....nope.
“I don't believe in luck, luck is preparation and taking your opportunity” Ross Brawn

Jaisonas

At this point you cannot tell where the honda really is, cause redbull in no way have as good chassis as they had last year. Hell i'd say mclaren even has a better chassis than them and they are 4rth best. However the drivability of the Honda is helping them. I need not to remind you complains from Max last year about how the engine chocked on low rpms. People often think that Hartley did nothing at TR however his role was really specific into providing honda with info on how to improve the drivability of the engine and the overall tune powerband.

rogazilla

PowerandtheGlory wrote:
02 Apr 2019, 14:00
Kyvat 1.34.934 HONDA
Hulk DNF RENAULT Set on lap 14
Gasly 1.35.291 . HONDA
Carlos DNF RENAULT . set on lap 42
Ricc DNF RENAULT
Albon 1.36.752 . HONDA
There I fix it for you. :twisted: Although it sounds like Sainz is not Renault issue but the above is the reality. It hurts when all those Honda PU was blowing up in the McL in 2015 and 2017. The same argument applies here to Renault. First you must finish. Otherwise same goes to all those glory lap set by Alonso, means not much.

PowerandtheGlory

rogazilla wrote:
02 Apr 2019, 14:22
PowerandtheGlory wrote:
Kyvat 1.34.934 HONDA
Gasly 1.35.291 . HONDA
Ricc DNF RENAULT
Albon 1.36.752 . HONDA
There I fix it for you. :twisted: Although it sounds like Sainz is not Renault issue but the above is the reality. It hurts when all those Honda PU was blowing up in the McL in 2015 and 2017. The same argument applies here to Renault. First you must finish. Otherwise same goes to all those glory lap set by Alonso, means not much.
Haha yes, fair enough all those Renaults didn’t finish. But I was trying to explain how neither Renault or Honda can be performance wise much better than each other. Honda have improved reliability, Renault have improved Power.
I think Renault and Honda are = in race trim
With Merc and then Ferrari Top...
“I don't believe in luck, luck is preparation and taking your opportunity” Ross Brawn

SmallSoldier

PowerandtheGlory wrote:
rogazilla wrote:
02 Apr 2019, 14:22
PowerandtheGlory wrote:
Kyvat 1.34.934 HONDA
Gasly 1.35.291 . HONDA
Ricc DNF RENAULT
Albon 1.36.752 . HONDA
Haha yes, fair enough all those Renaults didn’t finish. But I was trying to explain how neither Renault or Honda can be performance wise much better than each other. Honda have improved reliability, Renault have improved Power.
I think Renault and Honda are = in race trim
With Merc and then Ferrari Top...
That’s a very fair assessment... Wait for it though, someone will bring “drivability” as a tie breaker, when no one can actually measure it, lol :)

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

rogazilla

In my opinion, this is a logical step for Renault. For the last couple of year whether it is the layout or whatever the constraint, Renault has not been able to deliver on the power. It did allow Honda to catch up. To some extent, with the limited testing, and this is my opinion, you have to go for the Power at some point and find out all your weakness then you step back and build reliability around it. At least confirm your baseline and fundamental is capable of delivering that power.

Hopefully this is what they will do now. Although they have had problem with MGUK for a while now and maybe it is time to bring in a fresh pair of eyes or some technical partner to help.

SmallSoldier

rogazilla wrote:In my opinion, this is a logical step for Renault. For the last couple of year whether it is the layout or whatever the constraint, Renault has not been able to deliver on the power. It did allow Honda to catch up. To some extent, with the limited testing, and this is my opinion, you have to go for the Power at some point and find out all your weakness then you step back and build reliability around it. At least confirm your baseline and fundamental is capable of delivering that power.

Hopefully this is what they will do now. Although they have had problem with MGUK for a while now and maybe it is time to bring in a fresh pair of eyes or some technical partner to help.
Does anyone has any information on what the actual problem with the MGU-K is? My understanding is that it isn’t the unit itself, but the electronics controlling it.

PhillipM

That's what I was told straight from a Mclaren guy last week, control electronics shorted/died. Mclaren put mitigations in place for it this race once they realised what it was (so maybe turned it down/altered it in mapping or avoiding certain modes as I don't think they could touch the unit for it to be in spec?)

SmallSoldier

PhillipM wrote:That's what I was told straight from a Mclaren guy last week, control electronics shorted/died. Mclaren put mitigations in place for it this race once they realised what it was (so maybe turned it down/altered it in mapping or avoiding certain modes as I don't think they could touch the unit for it to be in spec?)
It would be interesting to understand if the ECM is considered as part of the components of the PU... I would argue that it isn’t, but no idea how it is considered.