2019 Renault F1 Team

This forum contains threads to discuss teams themselves. Anything not technical about the cars, including restructuring, performances etc belongs here.
trinidefender

Re: 2019 Renault F1 Team

Capharol wrote:
02 May 2019, 21:26
trinidefender wrote:
02 May 2019, 21:11
SmallSoldier wrote:
02 May 2019, 20:32

That’s a first... I haven’t read anywhere that Mclaren offered Daniel anywhere near close to what Alonso was making.

The Renault offer was by large that biggest one in terms of salary of the 3 offers he had (RBR, Mclaren, Renault).

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
I'm fairly sure that I read in quite a few places that the Renault offer was less than the RBR offer. That he left RBR for reasons of principle, one of which was on finding out that Max got paid a lot more than he did, DR asked to be matched to Max's salary and RBR refused so he left.

Don't have any information on how much McLaren offered him.
not quite right either, RB gave him everything he asked for, 2 year contract with option to leave after 1 if the Honda didn't gave what they promised, no driver at RB would get #1 status, he even became the salary he asked for....
He backed out of this offer because his doubt due to the Honda PU and partially the feeling RB would favor Verstappen, then the offer of Renault came, which made him more comfortable because he (thought) he knew what he had with Renault (PU wise at least)....
that's one of the reasons why you don't hear RIC speaking negative of Renault (which Verstappen and RB did) in the races after the summerbreak.
You speak with such surety yet unless the driver in question actually comes out and says it then we won't know the full story. My understanding of the story is slightly different.

Along the lines of this. Daniel was negotiating his new contract and was close to signing, things with MV and RBR weren't the best but were workable with a main sticking point being the favouritism being shown to MV. DR found out that MV was getting paid a lot more than him and went back to RBR and demanded pay equality. RBR refused. DR then signed with Renault for a lower amount out of principle.

It was almost as if the pay discrepancy between MV and DR was enough to push him over the edge to sign with another team. The last issue with the other main points being treated fairly in the team and less overt favouritism being shown.

You're free to disagree with me but I would suggest not touting what you say as fact.

Mclarensenna

trinidefender wrote:
03 May 2019, 03:15
Capharol wrote:
02 May 2019, 21:26
trinidefender wrote:
02 May 2019, 21:11

I'm fairly sure that I read in quite a few places that the Renault offer was less than the RBR offer. That he left RBR for reasons of principle, one of which was on finding out that Max got paid a lot more than he did, DR asked to be matched to Max's salary and RBR refused so he left.

Don't have any information on how much McLaren offered him.
not quite right either, RB gave him everything he asked for, 2 year contract with option to leave after 1 if the Honda didn't gave what they promised, no driver at RB would get #1 status, he even became the salary he asked for....
He backed out of this offer because his doubt due to the Honda PU and partially the feeling RB would favor Verstappen, then the offer of Renault came, which made him more comfortable because he (thought) he knew what he had with Renault (PU wise at least)....
that's one of the reasons why you don't hear RIC speaking negative of Renault (which Verstappen and RB did) in the races after the summerbreak.
You speak with such surety yet unless the driver in question actually comes out and says it then we won't know the full story. My understanding of the story is slightly different.

Along the lines of this. Daniel was negotiating his new contract and was close to signing, things with MV and RBR weren't the best but were workable with a main sticking point being the favouritism being shown to MV. DR found out that MV was getting paid a lot more than him and went back to RBR and demanded pay equality. RBR refused. DR then signed with Renault for a lower amount out of principle.

It was almost as if the pay discrepancy between MV and DR was enough to push him over the edge to sign with another team. The last issue with the other main points being treated fairly in the team and less overt favouritism being shown.

You're free to disagree with me but I would suggest not touting what you say as fact.
Redbull from day 1 has treated Ric like a sub par driver and Max like a racing God.
Redbull praised Vettel and in 2013 the praise he got was better than Senna/schumacher and Fangio combined. 4xWDC Racing GOD.

Yet Ric thrashed Vettel in 2014 winning all 3 races from behind Vettel, Overtaking him lapping 1-2 seconds a lap quicker to win with Vettel down in 3rd 5th and 6th. Did you then hear Redbull praise we got the best driver now Ric or any praise? hardly none.

Ric asked for a pay rise to at least match Vettel's 30 million since he left now and would be leading the team. Redbull said no way you are only worth 2 million not 30 like Vettel even though you are faster.
When Hamilton matched 2xWDC Alonso. Matched being the key word not "thrashed" Mclaren instantly gave him the praise he deserved and a 30 million a year contract worthy of his talent. And Hamilton was sponsored by Mclaren same as Redbull sponsored Ric. The exact same situation.
Redbull did the opposite and treated Ric like a backmarker with a 2 million backmarker salary.
Ferrari offered Kimi 50 million after he showed some great speed winning races in 2005/06.
And kicked out 7xWDC Schumacher to make room for Kimi.
Most teams if you show speed and beat a top driver or win races pay you what you are worth.
But not Redbull.
Unless you are somehow the chosen 1

Max before he even gets in the car was hailed by Redbull as the second coming of Senna. 100 times more praise than Ric ever got before he even drove the damn thing. And was paid more than Ric from day 1 even though it was Rics 5th year (2016) with torro/redbull and at the top of his game.

Then last year around Monaco Ric wanted a decent salary after some incredible performances and wins. 30 million the rumour said. Something Hamilton got in his 2nd year 10 years ago, nothing like Ric who was now 5 years at redbull 2 years at Torro Rosso. 7 years total on a backmarker salary. Ric did the hard yards and finally wanted a top salary. Hamilton only put up with a backmarker salary for 1 year. Ric had a backmarker salary for 7 now.

Helmut was on record bashing Ric saying hes asking too much, he has no other offers, hes not worth this much and put down after putt down.

Also claiming he will sign with a low salary contract less than Max and that he over estimated his worth.
Seriously why would any driver sign with a boss who just said this many insults? You would have to be nuts!

Helmut not once claimed Vettel ran from a Ric fight ironically. Only somehow Ric ran from a Max fight and he is a loser yet again. (Marko the insult king of bosses it seems)

Ric definately did the right thing leaving Redbull.
Renault though has alot of potential being a works team. But they need alot of work to get to the top though and unless some serious changes are made they will never get there.

selvam_e2002

well explained and 100% true what you mentioned above. I do remember that when Vettel winning all 4WCC AND WDC they praised a lot but now he is now where in Ferrari.

I think the same will happen to Max as well in the future. RBR are spoiling there racing driver with over Hype! It is causing them in future.

Perfect Example is Vettel!!!

PowerandtheGlory

Capharol wrote:
02 May 2019, 22:02
https://www.grandprix247.com/2019/05/02 ... rix+247%29

title speaks for itselfs i think
Some of the contents of that article makes for interesting reading, but overall it is slightly biased in a negative sense towards Cyril. There is no question that the rule changes represents the best chance for a team like Renault to catch up. That being said, Mclaren and RP - Stroll are also pushing hard. Currently Mercedes have wiped the floor with everyone in F1 for years. Even Ferrari, and Redbull - even with an improving Honda as still not on a par. they will win 3 Gp's this year again.. but that's what they've been doing for Years with the old engine.

I think there are a lot of very loyal people in Renault who do see improvements, but it was only in the last year they started to recruit heavily and rebuild a wind tunnel etc. that must mean that big steps are still a year or 2 away
“I don't believe in luck, luck is preparation and taking your opportunity” Ross Brawn

Jambier

PowerandtheGlory wrote:
03 May 2019, 09:33
Capharol wrote:

Some of the contents of that article makes for interesting reading, but overall it is slightly biased in a negative sense towards Cyril. There is no question that the rule changes represents the best chance for a team like Renault to catch up. That being said, Mclaren and RP - Stroll are also pushing hard. Currently Mercedes have wiped the floor with everyone in F1 for years. Even Ferrari, and Redbull - even with an improving Honda as still not on a par. they will win 3 Gp's this year again.. but that's what they've been doing for Years with the old engine.

I think there are a lot of very loyal people in Renault who do see improvements, but it was only in the last year they started to recruit heavily and rebuild a wind tunnel etc. that must mean that big steps are still a year or 2 away
You can't say every years: Next year will be ok
And not deliver

The first years they progress, but of course they do. Being a works team, it was "natural" to become 4th in 2018 ( And with luck also, beacause Haas driver, because FI was sold)

But now what ? Still finding excuses. I think the engine is not the biggest issue, we now that.
But the chassis is seriously wrong.

They are arrogant " We don't need to engineers or stars". But Chester is doing crap. Abiteboul is doing crap.

As a fan of Renault I'm very disapointed to see where they are with the chassis
The only place they can be is 2 tenth off a Red Bull. That will put them 4th again, but within the top teams, not in the Formula 1.5

factory_p

PowerandtheGlory wrote:
Capharol wrote:

Some of the contents of that article makes for interesting reading, but overall it is slightly biased in a negative sense towards Cyril.
I agree : some facts are so obviously twisted to serve the author's purpose it actually discredits the article. The base question in the article is reasonable to ask but the subject is poorly treated.

M840TR

PowerandtheGlory wrote:
Capharol wrote:

I honestly expected much more from Renault this year. They have upgraded their facilities massively over the years - the new wind tunnel etc in Enstone and new test facilities at Viry - which are currently fully functional. Given their recent trajectory they should've been fighting Redbull. They were even among the earliest of teams to freeze 2018 chassis AND engine development to get a head-start on 2019, yet here we are.

Capharol

That Renault has made mistakes as a workteam i think that's clear to all, but who's is the blame for these mistakes?
PU department?, Aero? or is it a problem i general and does Cyril really doing a crappy job?

at first it looked like a crappy job from the PU Department DNF's due to engine problems
suddenly (probably after turning the engine down a bit) the Chassis seems not right aswell
this leads for me to 1 conclusion ..... Cyril is crappy at this job and Renault should really ask themselves how long are they willing to hold on to Cyril

Renault becomes to me a bit like Ferrari, but then in Formula 1.5.....
Last edited by Capharol on 03 May 2019, 17:30, edited 1 time in total.

hemichromis

Redbull believed there was no other option for Ricciardo and negotiated accordingly.
They also showed some favouritism to Verstappen.
I wonder if both parties regret their actions.

Capharol

hemichromis wrote:
03 May 2019, 14:03
Redbull believed there was no other option for Ricciardo and negotiated accordingly.
They also showed some favouritism to Verstappen.
I wonder if both parties regret their actions.
my wild guess ..... yes i think they do

JordanMugen

Capharol wrote:
03 May 2019, 12:13
That Renault has made mistakes as a workteam i think that's clear to all, but who's is the blame for these mistakes?
Technical director.

It is the technical director job to ensure:
  • The car's use of tyres is consistent and optimal.
  • The car's aerodynamics are consistent and predictable.
If these basic things fail, then it is 100% the technical director's fault.

The Renault team may be producing designs that add more downforce in "ideal conditions" but unless this downforce is available consistently, what's the point?

While the poor use of tyres and poor ride control is just a complete disaster with no redeeming qualities at all. Is it even possible to tweak the existing suspension layout so that it performs properly, or is a wholesale clean sheet design required?

Capharol

JordanMugen wrote:
03 May 2019, 17:13
Capharol wrote:
03 May 2019, 12:13
Technical director.

It is the technical director job to ensure:
  • The car's use of tyres is consistent and optimal.
  • The car's aerodynamics are consistent and predictable.
If these basic things fail, then it is 100% the technical director's fault.

The Renault team may be producing designs that add more downforce in "ideal conditions" but unless this downforce is available consistently, what's the point?

While the poor use of tyres and poor ride control is just a complete disaster with no redeeming qualities at all. Is it even possible to tweak the existing suspension layout so that it performs properly, or is a wholesale clean sheet design required?
if you would have qouted my full comment, you would have seen that i gave the answer myself ....
it were kind of rethorical questions ....

Big Tea

Sometimes, you just have to do something and when someone else asks you to justify t, you can not.
It seems Dan had reached this point. OK, he never had the huge paydays Seb had, but he is not going to be scratching for a crust, so pay is not that big a deal in its own right.
A man's gott do wha a man's gatta do (J Wain)
When arguing with a fool, be sure the other person is not doing the same thing.

JordanMugen

Capharol wrote:
03 May 2019, 17:31
if you would have qouted my full comment, you would have seen that i gave the answer myself ....
it were kind of rethorical questions ....
Hmm... I don't see how the team principal can be the problem, when he is not the designer of the car? :wink:

PowerandtheGlory

I think based on the 4 races they will be disappointed. The chassis can’t make the best of the tyres. But prev race they quali’d well... albeit still way off the Bulls’

I don’t approve of a “1 person’s at fault” methodology. Even if you are the team principal.

He doesn’t seem to express any tension or stress- so maybe the Renault hierarchy still support him. They must this year start to take some points off Redbull.

Somehow both Haas and Renault have failed to get the tyres working. I think Spain will favour both teams a bit more.
“I don't believe in luck, luck is preparation and taking your opportunity” Ross Brawn