2019 Renault F1 Team

This forum contains threads to discuss teams themselves. Anything not technical about the cars, including restructuring, performances etc belongs here.
Morteza

Re: 2019 Renault F1 Team

"A fool thinks himself to be wise, but a wise man knows himself to be a fool."~William Shakespeare

PowerandtheGlory

NathanOlder wrote:
13 Jun 2019, 17:38
PowerandtheGlory wrote:
13 Jun 2019, 16:40
NathanOlder wrote:
13 Jun 2019, 16:31

Please please please let this be true
It would liven things up a bit in top teams if Renault can quali in the top 6 more often

Yeah definitely. But half a second just sounds too much. Thats huge!!
Considering Renault's investments in the 'super-wind tunnel' or whatever they are calling it, this would hopefully be the first fruits from that labour. It arrives at the right time, if they can get this working at Paul Ricard and Silverstone, aero tracks it should give them strong races. Some of the other races like Belgium, Italy are more power based like Canada. Hungary is a kart circuit so chassis is the differentiator and that will show how far they have come in this regard. So hopefully the aero tracks are kinder to Renault now..
“I don't believe in luck, luck is preparation and taking your opportunity” Ross Brawn

Ground Effect

PowerandtheGlory wrote:
14 Jun 2019, 09:11
NathanOlder wrote:
PowerandtheGlory wrote:
13 Jun 2019, 16:40

It would liven things up a bit in top teams if Renault can quali in the top 6 more often

Considering Renault's investments in the 'super-wind tunnel' or whatever they are calling it, this would hopefully be the first fruits from that labour. It arrives at the right time, if they can get this working at Paul Ricard and Silverstone, aero tracks it should give them strong races. Some of the other races like Belgium, Italy are more power based like Canada. Hungary is a kart circuit so chassis is the differentiator and that will show how far they have come in this regard. So hopefully the aero tracks are kinder to Renault now..
Is there a super wind tunnel? Wasn’t aware, but they did mention a super Dyno, which I think went into operation in February. I think that’s what’s responsible for the quick fixes they’ve had on the engine side. If they had it operational before the winter, I doubt they would have had the early season reliability issues.
Q: (Stefano Mancini – La Stampa) Kimi, will you help Vettel to win his championship this year?
Kimi Raikkonen: I can only drive one car, obviously. 
@2018 Singapore Grand Prix drivers press conference.

carisi2k

NathanOlder wrote:
13 Jun 2019, 01:28
As for Canada and Gaslys supposed problems. Renault finished 21 (i think) seconds behind Max. And Max had no problems and was on the greater strategy with the hard tyres at the start.
Over 70 laps, I'd say thats pretty damn impressive from Renault
I aqgree and I believe Renault bought Daniel in way too early in reacting to Gasly. If Daniel had pitted later and didn't have to deal with traffic then maybe he finishes ahead of Max or much closer to Max at the very least.

PowerandtheGlory

Ground Effect wrote:
14 Jun 2019, 10:48
PowerandtheGlory wrote:
NathanOlder wrote:

Is there a super wind tunnel? Wasn’t aware, but they did mention a super Dyno, which I think went into operation in February. I think that’s what’s responsible for the quick fixes they’ve had on the engine side. If they had it operational before the winter, I doubt they would have had the early season reliability issues.

I know they re-fitted the wind tunnel recently, there's some videos on Youtube from the factory. Im not sure if its a 'super' tunnel that might have just been me calling it that!
“I don't believe in luck, luck is preparation and taking your opportunity” Ross Brawn

Ground Effect

PowerandtheGlory wrote:
14 Jun 2019, 11:25
Ground Effect wrote:
14 Jun 2019, 10:48
PowerandtheGlory wrote:

I know they re-fitted the wind tunnel recently, there's some videos on Youtube from the factory. Im not sure if its a 'super' tunnel that might have just been me calling it that!
Yeah, saw it too, I like it when F1 teams give such insights. At the end of the day, the upturn in performance shows the importance of investing heavily in F1.
Q: (Stefano Mancini – La Stampa) Kimi, will you help Vettel to win his championship this year?

djos

Thanks for that, it was a really good interview.
"In downforce we trust"

Ground Effect

Renault confidence growing, road to recovery?

https://www.motorsport.com/f1/news/rena ... e/4474140/

PowerandtheGlory

Ground Effect wrote:
14 Jun 2019, 14:35

For once the team quali'd well... which is half of F1 these days. Secondly they weren't on the Optimum tyre as they had to use the Soft in Q2 in Canada which is more a calculated gamble because everybody else was going to use the same tyre anyway. (silly rule- needs changing)

Both drivers (more Ricciardo) had clean races and being near the front allowed the car to run in more clean air and empty track so their race pace and final position was better- even on the 2nd best strategy.

They couldnt afford to Quali on the optimum tyre as they didnt think there was enough pace in the car to do the same as what Verstappen did in the race.

Overall a better reflection that when it came to the crunch they were able to put 1 car P4 on the grid which is a good result. You cant start 12, 13, 14 and expect to get anything out of a weekend these days, unless you have a beast of a car that can come through the pack.

Hoping for P5 P6 or P7 in paul Ricard to give the fans and Renault staff a decent race to watch from the Renault stand.

And i hope the 0.5 seconds aero package is delivered as promised...!

Ground Effect

PowerandtheGlory wrote:
14 Jun 2019, 15:14
Ground Effect wrote:

For once the team quali'd well... which is half of F1 these days. Secondly they weren't on the Optimum tyre as they had to use the Soft in Q2 in Canada which is more a calculated gamble because everybody else was going to use the same tyre anyway. (silly rule- needs changing)

Both drivers (more Ricciardo) had clean races and being near the front allowed the car to run in more clean air and empty track so their race pace and final position was better- even on the 2nd best strategy.

They couldnt afford to Quali on the optimum tyre as they didnt think there was enough pace in the car to do the same as what Verstappen did in the race.

Overall a better reflection that when it came to the crunch they were able to put 1 car P4 on the grid which is a good result. You cant start 12, 13, 14 and expect to get anything out of a weekend these days, unless you have a beast of a car that can come through the pack.

Hoping for P5 P6 or P7 in paul Ricard to give the fans and Renault staff a decent race to watch from the Renault stand.

I agree, the qualifying tyre rule needs some looking into, they should try as much as possible to level the playing field.

PowerandtheGlory

Ground Effect wrote:
14 Jun 2019, 16:02
PowerandtheGlory wrote:
14 Jun 2019, 15:14
Ground Effect wrote:

I agree, the qualifying tyre rule needs some looking into, they should try as much as possible to level the playing field.
Ive been thinking about a top 10 of things id want to change about F1 and these have been in a kind of constant flux from week to week.

But the quali tyre rule is one id love to change, as well as giving all teams a 'Joker' tyre worth an extra 1.5 seconds a lap to use once a race weekend apart from in Quali. Banning the use of simulator during the season- get the smart guys at the race tracks to come up with real engineering solutions instead of relying on a 24/7 computer game running back at base... i could rant on and on, but this isn't the right thread for that.. haha

djos

Ground Effect wrote:
Wasnt the intent of the rule to add some different strategic options and produce some more interesting races?

Personally, I think it's been good having those outside the top 10 running long on a more durable compound.
"In downforce we trust"

Ground Effect

djos wrote:
15 Jun 2019, 02:13
Ground Effect wrote:
Wasnt the intent of the rule to add some different strategic options and produce some more interesting races?

Personally, I think it's been good having those outside the top 10 running long on a more durable compound.
The philosophy is great, it’s actually one of the few things in F1 that works. But the problem with qualifying stems from the problem with F1 as a whole. Where a team can use a tyre that’s allegedly 0.8secs slower and still coast into Q3, then use the quickest tyre in Q3, qualify at the front and then start on the better race tyre. I honestly don’t have a solution, but F1 should recognise the huge gap between the top teams and the rest. They should devise a way where there is a bigger penalty, big enough to make the top teams think twice about going for, say the medium tyre in Q2. As it is now, the tyre rule only penalises midfield teams that qualify from best of the rest to 10th, because their fellow midfielders start on tyre of choice, while the top 3 sail into the sunset. So at the end of the day, the midfielders are punished for being a tenth quicker than their rivals.

KitS

Well, I have watching long enough to have seen Jim Clark race and I think it’s time for a major change. Nothing on Friday, three practice sessions on Saturday and two on Sunday. No qualifying. Grid spots by draw 1 hour before race. Like horses, a bad draw does not mean you can’t win and it would balance out over the season, good drivers should still float to the top. Make the cars narrower so three can fit beside each other on most tracks.

PowerandtheGlory

djos wrote:
15 Jun 2019, 02:13
Ground Effect wrote:

Your right the change was to create different strategies... but all teams mitigate this by telling drivers to drive at 95% to stretch a tyre stint, so the tyres are never used how the manufacturer tells them, hence Monaco with Hamilton....and they cover off drivers doing other stuff behind them - so it all cancels itself out.
The guys at the front don’t push their tyres as much because they don’t have to, so they get the luxury of choice- while the guys being are forced to push, in dirty air, and pass cars, which means their race is compromised.
That’s why Quali is soooo important.
Whenever a rule change is made team immediately find ways to overcome this.
The advantage of choice for drivers outside of top 10 to choose tyres- is not a strong enough advantage.. unless you just stick on hards, long stint, and then quick stop at the end... basically stroll in Canada....