2019 Renault F1 Team

This forum contains threads to discuss teams themselves. Anything not technical about the cars, including restructuring, performances etc belongs here.
JordanMugen

Re: 2019 Renault F1 Team

Jambier wrote:
05 Aug 2019, 10:17
it will be exactly as Renault during the Vettel years, they will not be visible.

Renault purchased rear wing signage for the 2010 final Grand Prix IIRC, in addition to the existing engine cover decal, visor decal and overall patch (as above) -- IMO Renault had plenty of visibility, up until Renault-Nissan's own decision to feature Infiniti decals more prominently than Renault decals on Red Bull's car.
Jambier wrote:
05 Aug 2019, 10:17
With Red Bull, they were not visible.
That could have been fixed easily for 2016 by replacing Renault-Nissan's Infinti brand with Renault-Nissan's Renault brand as the title sponsor of the Red Bull team, making it "Renault Red Bull Racing" instead of "Infiniti Red Bull Racing" -- note that even with Infiniti as title sponsor, the Renault decal in 2015 is far larger than the Honda decal in 2019. Simply imagine the purple Infiniti livery sections of 2015 replaced with yellow Renault livery sections for 2016 -- without any greater investment on Renault-Nissan's part, Renault-Nissan would have easily achieved greater visibility for the Renault brand.

Instead of this "easy solution", Renault-Nissan decided to buy their own team (back). :wtf:

Indeed, one wonders (1) if both Renault's and Red Bull's 2016 position were motivated by petty reasons instead of logical and rational reasoning, and (2) whether the partnership of Renault and Nissan is as close and mutually beneficial as such a partnership ought to be, with Renault seemingly upset at the Infiniti branding even though it's all the same company, and that a Infiniti or Datsun sale should be just as worthy to Renault, as a Dacia or Renault sale is to Nissan.

Jambier

I thought that Renault proposed to make a big alliance with Red Bull when they were deciding to come back no ?
And one of the reason of the come back was not good enough visibility with Red Bull.

But I agree that getting rid of Infiniti, and replace it with "Renault" and yellow colour + a strong parternship with free engine would have been the right choice for Renault.

Unfortunately, Abiteboul was already there at that time...

Anyway, for the rest of the season I don't know what to expect from Renault. Scoring some point is already a "victory" given the slow car they made.
SPEC 3 engine is on its way, but it won't change anything.

On chassis' side I don't know what they are doing.
They drop 2018 early, only to produce a bad RS19
They will probably drop again 2019 early... to make a bad RS20 ?

With the limited resources they have, they should put a big focus on reorg and targeting the 2021 car starting from now

zack!

Well well, first half of the season is far bellow goals of the team, the year before was also so, so...

I think renault (the constructor), decided the f1 return as a branding of "hybrid technology", here we are. Next year, renault will put on the market the "e-tech" technology "derived from RF1" on Captur2, Clio5 and new megane. So big (really) sells in the radar. Remember "renault should be visible in front with podium in 2019 and race for championshit in 2020"...

I think the contructor, is not happy with the result of the RF1 team , not following the plan, at all...

Time for a big change during the break ?

https://group.renault.com/en/news/blog- ... -new-clio/

SmallSoldier

I don’t think the Renault is as bad as the results seem to imply... Their performance is thereabouts with the rest of the midfield and they have been really unlucky in some situations (i.e. Hulk at Germany with a podium on the cards).

The potential and the performance of their car isn’t horrible... Yes, they are not leading the midfield as everyone expected or they wished would be the case, but they aren’t at the bottom either.

It also seems that their car is as sensitive to the tires as the Haas car, which could explain their swing in form like their problems in Austria and their good performance in Silverstone.

What they have done “wrong” compared to for example Mclaren is to introduce to many changes/upgrades at once... When the performance isn’t the one expected from all the upgrades, then is harder to pinpoint which is the culprit and that slows down the understanding and solving process... A team like Mclaren is doing it the other way around, introducing small upgrades at every race, which allows them to understand the improvement of each individually faster.

I still believe that they have a stronger package than an STR or Racing Point and that they will surpass Alfa and Haas in the second half of the season... The big question mark is with Mclaren, who may have enough to keep them behind until the end of the year.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

zack!

renault's ambition is to fight for championship in 2020 (well postponed to 2021 recently), not to struggle middle of the pack. So the state is fundamentally "wrong".
We are talking about the largest autamaker in the world with the alliance :
https://www.alliance-2022.com/about-us/

SmallSoldier

zack! wrote:renault's ambition is to fight for championship in 2020 (well postponed to 2021 recently), not to struggle middle of the pack. So the state is fundamentally "wrong".
We are talking about the largest autamaker in the world with the alliance :
https://www.alliance-2022.com/about-us/
That’s their goal, as it is for several other teams... But they simply have tried (unsuccessfully so far) to fight for the Championship with a fraction of the budget of the teams in the Top 3... Even though they are the largest manufacturer, that doesn’t mean that they have decided to spend an unlimited amount of money to get that Championship (could they? Probably... Worth it? Seems like it isn’t).

Even been a manufacturer and spending huge amounts of money isn’t a guarantee that it will happen either (Ferrari is a clear example of this, with probably the largest budget, largest history, making their own engines, etc, etc, etc... They haven’t been successful at dethroning Mercedes in the WCC).

zack!

I don't understand what you want to explain. You think Renault will continue like this ? I bet for a change very soon, I don't know what, but hey have to do something.

SmallSoldier

zack! wrote:I don't understand what you want to explain. You think Renault will continue like this ? I bet for a change very soon, I don't know what, but hey have to do something.
If by a change you mean firing Cyril? I don’t think they will do that short term... Could it happen? Sure... But, I don’t see any signs that it will be the case.

With Prost now on a more prominent role, it really will depend in the relationship between the two of them... We aren’t privy to what goes inside the team and they might still believe in Cyril... It isn’t like if there are a lot of options out there to replace him with either.

zack!

I don't think Prost has really a new prominent role.

SmallSoldier

zack! wrote:I don't think Prost has really a new prominent role.
Member of the Board of Directors of Renault F1? That’s a prominent role, especially when it comes down to deciding moves such as Cyril’s or changes on the team’s structure.

zack!

he has no role associated to this nomination ("retired driver"), this company that owns Enstone, is in turn owned by another company (grigny has more than 75% of control), then this company in turn his owned by more than 75% by renault SA. Shareholders nominate the board and validate statgey. Prost is not members of grigny (but Cyril is), nor member of renault board, he is not sharehoder of any of those company (as far as I know). So the "true" boss of RF1 (chain of ownership and control) is the new CEO of renault, who decided to retire its role in RF1 (probably by lack of time), to take new position, now Gohsn is no more at this position. So they decided to nominate Prost, who has confidence of renault board as "special adviser". There are 5 directors, Prost included + a secretary, I think of all, Prost has the least prominent role I think, and will more or less continue the same job, except he has 1 vote "offically" of 5 for decision making (this is his new empowermentn ot negligible, but no prominent I think).
But I am not expert, so I may mistake... If someone knows, let us know....

zack!

for example, ther is not officila nnoucemnt on their official site :
https://www.renaultsport.com/rs-f1-resultat-info.html

Nor on his page :
https://www.renaultsport.com/alain-pros ... ml?lang=en

Do you think you nominate a kind of co director, or someone that will be important change for a company, without any public announecement, with a mission letter, or a new vision explaining the nomination ?

zack!

https://beta.companieshouse.gov.uk/comp ... ng-history

see : 29 of july 2019
Nomination of board foolwing eparture of thierry Bolloré

Bolloré, the guy that replace Goshn :
https://actu.fr/economie/renault-est-th ... 15827.html

As well as
05 Jul 2017 Notification of Grigny (Uk) Limited as a person with significant control on 6 April 2016

https://beta.companieshouse.gov.uk/comp ... ng-history
and fianll y
15 Jan 2019 Notification of Renault Sa as a person with significant control on 6 April 2016

SmallSoldier

I’m just referring to what has been posted in the news in regards to it... I don’t understand what your position is, so I’ll let be.

Mclarensenna

SmallSoldier wrote:
06 Aug 2019, 17:17
I don’t think the Renault is as bad as the results seem to imply... Their performance is thereabouts with the rest of the midfield and they have been really unlucky in some situations (i.e. Hulk at Germany with a podium on the cards).

The potential and the performance of their car isn’t horrible... Yes, they are not leading the midfield as everyone expected or they wished would be the case, but they aren’t at the bottom either.

The car in race pace is about 2 seconds a lap slower than the top 3. Exactly the same as last year. They are getting lapped every single race without a safety car.

How can you say these are not terrible results?
Renault is here to win and fight for podiums which is what Cyril targeted 3 years ago. Not fight for 7th place crumbs 2 or 3 laps down on the leaders in their 4th year now.