2019 Renault F1 Team

This forum contains threads to discuss teams themselves. Anything not technical about the cars, including restructuring, performances etc belongs here.
Mclarensenna

Re: 2019 Renault F1 Team

In F1 there is a clear pattern no matter what the position, you do not perform, you get fired!

Montezemelo fired after Alonso only came 2nd twice
Matiachi then fired.
Arrivabene then fired also and for what? Ferrari had the fastest car "overall" easily in 2018 but Vettel made 8 massive mistakes including crashing out of the lead. Arrivabane lead the team, delivered the fastest overall most reliable car, it was Vettel who failed yet Arrivabane was still fired even though he did his job 100% perfect.
Mclaren fired Boullier,
Williams fired Lowe
Kyvatt did not perform demoted
Gasly did not perform demoted
Honda fired multiple managers when their engine did not perform as expected
ETC ETC
The list could be endless but you get the idea

In F1 if you under perform you are generally fired or demoted.

EXCEPT though if you work at Renault and your name is Cyril or if you build an unreliable engine 6 years in a row and your name is Remi Taffin
You can miss every single target and this year go backwards being behind even Torro Rosso and your customer team Mclaren in points and still keep your job if your name is Cyril.

I would like to learn as it would be a serious skill to have. Become a high paying manager, fail every year and still keep the top job and the big bucks.
Some body here please enlighten me on what is Cyril and Remis secret to being unfirable in F1?

Iowa

Mclarensenna wrote:
13 Aug 2019, 03:37
In F1 there is a clear pattern no matter what the position, you do not perform, you get fired!

Matiachi then fired.
Arrivabene then fired also and for what? Ferrari had the fastest car "overall" easily in 2018 but Vettel made 8 massive mistakes including crashing out of the lead. Arrivabane lead the team, delivered the fastest overall most reliable car, it was Vettel who failed yet Arrivabane was still fired even though he did his job 100% perfect.
Mclaren fired Boullier,
Williams fired Lowe
ETC ETC

EXCEPT though if you work at Renault and your name is Cyril or if you build an unreliable engine 6 years in a row and your name is Remi Taffin
You can miss every single target and this year go backwards being behind even Torro Rosso and your customer team Mclaren in points and still keep your job if your name is Cyril.

I would like to learn as it would be a serious skill to have. Become a high paying manager, fail every year and still keep the top job and the big bucks.
Some body here please enlighten me on what is Cyril and Remis secret to being unfirable in F1?
They are french in a french company.

Jambier

Iowa wrote:
13 Aug 2019, 05:16
Mclarensenna wrote:
13 Aug 2019, 03:37

Matiachi then fired.
Mclaren fired Boullier,
Williams fired Lowe
ETC ETC

They are french in a french company.
Argh burned :mrgreen:
It is sad but it is true for some historic / owned by the state compagnies.
I face this daily at my customers'

Anyway it should not happen in F1, but :

- Remi Taffin is a good and historic guy. I think keeping him now is not a bad idea. Viry is evolving and engine progressing in the good way despite evident lack of quality

- For Abiteboul it is a mystery. I think this guy has deep connection into Renault. I think he is good to avoid responsabilities, and I also think he is very lucky that Ghosn is not arround anymore.
Renault is now managed by weak people, it keeps him in place.

BUT

There are more and more noise in France, from people with good relation in the F1 world and in Renault, that there will be change before the Belgian GP regarding Renault...

They need to fire Abiteboul, then they need to understand what is going wrong on chassis' side.

PowerandtheGlory

Renault have nearly all the pieces of the jigsaw in place, engine is now good because they hired Marcin and the other powertrain/engine guy from Merc, so engine is ok.
Driver they have Ricciardo and maybe Ocon or Hulk which is pretty good.
Chassis.... they still need to recruit i feel in this area, they have not developed as well as Mclaren which tells me that the brains in the operation is not as competent and they will have a similar (ish) budget to Mclaren. T
hey will not be anywhere near RB or Ferrari.
But this year... What Renault wanted to do......
Mclaren are doing....

and Renault are 6th in the constructors.... Ouch..!
“I don't believe in luck, luck is preparation and taking your opportunity” Ross Brawn

diffuser

I think Cyril has enough rope to get him to the middle of 2021. So either Renault improves or he goes. They've probably already started looking for a replacement.

nacho

They had such a good chassis and aero as Team Lotus.

Pyrone89

nacho wrote:
13 Aug 2019, 15:12
They had such a good chassis and aero as Team Lotus.
And then Renault waited too long with the purchase (1 day before bankruptcy) meaning all the talent already had other jobs. Penny wise (lower take over amount by a couple of million), pound foolish (waste 150 million budgets for years while achieving only shame because all the good guys are gone)
True GOATs don’t need the help of superior material to win.

Tom Brady, Usain Bolt are true GOATs.

SmallSoldier

diffuser wrote:I think Cyril has enough rope to get him to the middle of 2021. So either Renault improves or he goes. They've probably already started looking for a replacement.
They are rebuilding the team... I would be surprised if they let him go at this point.

Last year everyone was asking for Zak’s head at Mclaren, now everyone praises him for the team his building... Renault is in a similar position, they are rebuilding their team and if they figure out why their upgrades haven’t delivered as expected, they could make an important jump forward.

They have a good engine (still work to be done on the reliability front probably, but power is there)... And their chassis needs more consistency (pretty fast in Canada and Silverstone, pretty slow in Austria for example).

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Pyrone89

SmallSoldier wrote:
13 Aug 2019, 16:29
diffuser wrote:I think Cyril has enough rope to get him to the middle of 2021. So either Renault improves or he goes. They've probably already started looking for a replacement.
They are rebuilding the team... I would be surprised if they let him go at this point.

Last year everyone was asking for Zak’s head at Mclaren, now everyone praises him for the team his building... Renault is in a similar position, they are rebuilding their team and if they figure out why their upgrades haven’t delivered as expected, they could make an important jump forward.

They have a good engine (still work to be done on the reliability front probably, but power is there)... And their chassis needs more consistency (pretty fast in Canada and Silverstone, pretty slow in Austria for example).

Zak Brown wasnt a pathelogical liar at the least.
True GOATs don’t need the help of superior material to win.

Tom Brady, Usain Bolt are true GOATs.

diffuser

SmallSoldier wrote:

I think so too but if things keep going down hill.... Kind of stupid to have asked for Zak's head since he had just started....

SmallSoldier

diffuser wrote:
SmallSoldier wrote:

I think so too but if things keep going down hill.... Kind of stupid to have asked for Zak's head since he had just started....
There has to be a deadline for sure... We just don’t know when that is from the Renault board.

Regarding Zak, it was unlucky... He came to the team during a very rough time and by the time the issues with the MCL33 showed a lot of “fans” where arguing that he needed to go (just as with Cyril right now)... He got a good couple of signings, McLaren is showing progress and he is now on the fans good graces (even though McLaren isn’t at the level most think they should be)... The parallel with Cyril is very similar... If the 2020 Renault delivers improvements, he will be in a good spot.

I’m hoping they up their game (although as a McLaren fan, I also want them to stay just a bit behind)... They have 2 good drivers and they are still rebuilding their team... I don’t think they will be title contenders until the budget Cap is put in effect though, since Renault isn’t willing to get into an spending war with the top 3.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

JordanMugen

SmallSoldier wrote:

Exactly! It could still turn out to be that Abiteboul will be an exceptional team principal.

Emag

There are some differences thuogh. Zak is the CEO of McLaren racing. He was not responsible for either the car's technical aspect nor the management of on-track operations. Zak's job was to manage the team's structure as a whole and to bring funding.
It's just that people were mad with the situation that was created last year. McLaren was not performing good at all, and someone had to be blamed. People decided to blame Zak, but it wasn't him that was responsible for the --- show that McLaren was last season. At least not entirely.
He joined the team too late to have any big impact, either for good or bad. After two years of careful observations within the organisation, he began doing his work. Zak fired Boullier along with some other people responsible for track-side operations as well as some people involved with the car's design process. Hired some new guys and put in place a new management structure.
He did his job well since McLaren has shown improvements immediately after those changes and now he only has to worry about bringing sponsors to the team since Andreas has taken over with the management of the racing team.

Mclarensenna

Emag wrote:
20 Aug 2019, 10:48
There are some differences thuogh. Zak is the CEO of McLaren racing. He was not responsible for either the car's technical aspect nor the management of on-track operations. Zak's job was to manage the team's structure as a whole and to bring funding.
It's just that people were mad with the situation that was created last year. McLaren was not performing good at all, and someone had to be blamed. People decided to blame Zak, but it wasn't him that was responsible for the --- show that McLaren was last season. At least not entirely.
He joined the team too late to have any big impact, either for good or bad. After two years of careful observations within the organisation, he began doing his work. Zak fired Boullier along with some other people responsible for track-side operations as well as some people involved with the car's design process. Hired some new guys and put in place a new management structure.
He did his job well since McLaren has shown improvements immediately after those changes and now he only has to worry about bringing sponsors to the team since Andreas has taken over with the management of the racing team.
Well said. Zak in about 2 years has pushed the team forward in a very big way while making some incredible decisions that will continue to see them rise next year especially with hiring Seidel and James Key.

Mclaren is 1 of if not the most improved team in 2019.
They are now running 4th in the constructors from 6th last year

Renault from 4th last year is now running 6th this year behind Torro Rosso.
And Renault is a works team to boot.

Zak brown is 10 times the manager Cyril is. The proof is in the pudding.

djos

I agree, the sponsor roster he has built at Maclaren to support the the racing programme is phenomenal... I mean when was the last we saw coke in F1?
"In downforce we trust"