2019 Aston Martin Red Bull Racing - Honda F1 Team

This forum contains threads to discuss teams themselves. Anything not technical about the cars, including restructuring, performances etc belongs here.
Sieper

Re: 2019 Aston Martin Red Bull Racing - Honda F1 Team

Godius wrote:
26 Apr 2019, 19:14
The issue wasn't mainly about him ignoring the sign. The crew worked on the car immediately after that. They could've removed any illegal parts that he might've been driving with.
"Instead, he drove on and proceeded to do a pit stop where the car was worked on by lifting the car and all four wheels were changed, in breach of Article 29.1 a). the penalty for this infringement is specified to be for the car to start from the pit lane and we so order.”
https://twitter.com/tifosi_vs/status/11 ... 0890669056
Yes, like the wheels. :twisted: just kidding. Poor boy was focusing on the practice pitstop they just informed him about on the radio and totally missed the signs. Perhaps aided by the fact that the spot was filled already. He must have mentally switched of.

Datco

Extremely harsh.
It's free practice, what exactly justifies this sanction.
Does it give them any advantage in the race, or in qualifying? Did he put anyone's life in danger? What happened to "let them race"
I just don't get it.
At best this should have been a fine

SmallSoldier

Datco wrote:
Extremely harsh.
Does it give them any advantage in the race, or in qualifying? Did he put anyone's life in danger? What happened to "let them race"
I just don't get it.
The rules are pretty clear in regards to the penalty for not going through the weigh in procedures, not only have the rules been enforced in the past (Magnussen in 2016 as example), it would also set a precedent if they would arbitrarily wave them.

The rule in this case isn’t open to interpretation and the penalty is clearly listed... Is it harsh? Yes, but it’s the same for everyone.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Big Tea

Datco wrote:
26 Apr 2019, 22:28
Extremely harsh.
I just don't get it.
Someone ahead could have walked onto the track believing he was turning off, as his light was on.
A loss of attention is bad on a road car, these drivers should have far more spare capacity than we do when driving.
The stewards looked at the on board so must believe it was not excusable.

I am in general anti penalties, but to me this comes under safety and must be obeyed without question.
By all means question it after, but do it at the time.
When arguing with a fool, be sure the other person is not doing the same thing.

Datco

SmallSoldier wrote:
26 Apr 2019, 22:50
Datco wrote:
Extremely harsh.
I just don't get it.
The rules are pretty clear in regards to the penalty for not going through the weigh in procedures, not only have the rules been enforced in the past (Magnussen in 2016 as example), it would also set a precedent if they would arbitrarily wave them.

The rule in this case isn’t open to interpretation and the penalty is clearly listed... Is it harsh? Yes, but it’s the same for everyone.

I am not arguing its not a rule or not a penalty, or not that it's not the same for everybody, just that it's completely daft.
In other news Geleal gets effectively the same penalty for running over marshals, and well I heard no news of KMag almost running Lewis into the wall. So your argument of precedent which also relates to credibility is completely nonsense also given even the inconsistencies of penalties in the past. But this is a RBR thread and I am digressing. It is what it is (fia Circus) and yet another setback for their WCC.

Datco

Big Tea wrote:
26 Apr 2019, 23:10
Datco wrote:
26 Apr 2019, 22:28
Extremely harsh.
I just don't get it.
Someone ahead could have walked onto the track believing he was turning off, as his light was on.
A loss of attention is bad on a road car, these drivers should have far more spare capacity than we do when driving.
The stewards looked at the on board so must believe it was not excusable.

I am in general anti penalties, but to me this comes under safety and must be obeyed without question.
By all means question it after, but do it at the time.
They did exersice their discression though when Vettel drove from the weigh bridge without officially being released. One could argue that was also unsafe.

SmallSoldier

Datco wrote:
SmallSoldier wrote:
26 Apr 2019, 22:50
Datco wrote: Extremely harsh.
I just don't get it.

I am not arguing its not a rule or not a penalty, or not that it's not the same for everybody, just that it's completely daft.
In other news Geleal gets effectively the same penalty for running over marshals, and well I heard no news of KMag almost running Lewis into the wall. So your argument of precedent which also relates to credibility is completely nonsense also given even the inconsistencies of penalties in the past. But this is a RBR thread and I am digressing. It is what it is (fia Circus) and yet another setback for their WCC.
This has nothing to do with the Gelael penalty, nor with on track contact between drivers (which don’t have defined penalties)... The rules state that if the driver doesn’t stop for weighing when requested, he shall start from the pitlane... This rule has been applied in the past.

In regards to precedence, if they don’t enforce it, what is going to stop teams from not bringing their cars to weighing when requested?... In regards to Vettel, he did stopped for weighing, different situation.

ispano6

Marti_EF3 wrote:
25 Apr 2019, 17:47
They will only change the ICE, the rest will be the same than first races. So, if only ICE is introduced, makes sense to bring fuel update too. And maybe with more agressive maps available during first laps and laps after pitstops. It will turn things interesting...

https://mobile.twitter.com/AlbertFabreg ... 3729369088
RB15 gets more than just ICE.
Let's see how many cars Gasly can pass from the back. He'll have free tire choice, and he can also skip qualifying set up. His set up can focus on race pace, and assisting Max and Toro Rosso with tows and generally being a nuisance to others :)
All four Red Bull and Toro Rosso drivers had new V6s installed for the start of Friday practice in Baku, while Max Verstappen and Pierre Gasly also took new turbos, MGU-Hs and MGU-Ks.
https://us.motorsport.com/f1/news/honda ... l/4376174/

etusch

When I think about Toro Rosso pace and max speeds, I think, from start of the season they used higher modes with Toro Rosso and safer approach with Redbull. After first issue of Toro Rosso they investigated whole power unit and saw that engine can work higher mode reliably after some small revisements.
And I think same approach is going on

Marti_EF3

etusch wrote:
27 Apr 2019, 08:18
When I think about Toro Rosso pace and max speeds, I think, from start of the season they used higher modes with Toro Rosso and safer approach with Redbull. After first issue of Toro Rosso they investigated whole power unit and saw that engine can work higher mode reliably after some small revisements.
And I think same approach is going on
Seems possible. The STR is really fast here. And with the improved performance on race pace, sunday will be interesting. Albert Fabrega is now saying on the TV that RBR will gain 0.2s - 0.3s on race pace :shock:

Marti_EF3

ispano6 wrote:
27 Apr 2019, 05:26
Marti_EF3 wrote:
25 Apr 2019, 17:47
They will only change the ICE, the rest will be the same than first races. So, if only ICE is introduced, makes sense to bring fuel update too. And maybe with more agressive maps available during first laps and laps after pitstops. It will turn things interesting...

https://mobile.twitter.com/AlbertFabreg ... 3729369088
RB15 gets more than just ICE.
Let's see how many cars Gasly can pass from the back. He'll have free tire choice, and he can also skip qualifying set up. His set up can focus on race pace, and assisting Max and Toro Rosso with tows and generally being a nuisance to others :)
All four Red Bull and Toro Rosso drivers had new V6s installed for the start of Friday practice in Baku, while Max Verstappen and Pierre Gasly also took new turbos, MGU-Hs and MGU-Ks.
https://us.motorsport.com/f1/news/honda ... l/4376174/
I'm sorry, is what Albert said at that tweet :roll:

And here the race pace and potential laps on FP2 with best sectors combined

godlameroso

FP2 was essentially fp1 and not representative at all. .3 in the race would put them less than a tenth down on Mercedes. That would be huge, it would mean the driver is making the difference.
Saishū kōnā

Marti_EF3

0,5s to pole without any tow and earlier than the others. Curious strategy from RBR, even with bringing Gasly to Q3 for a tow, but they closed the gap a bit with the upgrades, for sure =D> =D>

Singabule

Yes very encouraging indeed. Just wonder why they dont send Max for 2nd stint, but maybe strategically correct to save one tyre. Hopefully Merc mess up at start tomorrow

Bill

I think Rbr lack self belief they still act like they are running Renault pu they could have split the Mercedes and the benefit of tow was there