2019 Aston Martin Red Bull Racing - Honda F1 Team

This forum contains threads to discuss teams themselves. Anything not technical about the cars, including restructuring, performances etc belongs here.
Marti_EF3

Re: 2019 Aston Martin Red Bull Racing - Honda F1 Team

ME4ME wrote:
09 Jun 2019, 15:57
I also think Verstappen will do a Hard-Soft strategy. He didn't seem to like the Mediums particulary well, so I think RBR will avoid them. Also it suits the team well to go for an aggressive 2nd stint.

I'm pretty sure Max will make quick work of Gasly in the race, the pace gap is that big between them. I'm all for giving an inexperienced F1 driver time to adapt, but Gasly is in my opinion on the boarder of ending his F1 career. Progress isn't good enough. He's basically the next Vandoorne: highly successfull pre-Formula 1 but ultimately exposed and beaten by a superior driver. Incidentely the more I see Verstappen drive, the more I think of Alonso in his prime. The only thing Max and RB still have to sort are the race starts.

Should be good fun today, although a podium is surely out of the question.
I only hope they won't do the same mistake with Albon. Promoting him too early... Better to put Kvyat on a one year deal at the moment

SmallSoldier

ME4ME wrote:I also think Verstappen will do a Hard-Soft strategy. He didn't seem to like the Mediums particulary well, so I think RBR will avoid them. Also it suits the team well to go for an aggressive 2nd stint.

I'm pretty sure Max will make quick work of Gasly in the race, the pace gap is that big between them. I'm all for giving an inexperienced F1 driver time to adapt, but Gasly is in my opinion on the boarder of ending his F1 career. Progress isn't good enough. He's basically the next Vandoorne: highly successfull pre-Formula 1 but ultimately exposed and beaten by a superior driver. Incidentely the more I see Verstappen drive, the more I think of Alonso in his prime. The only thing Max and RB still have to sort are the race starts.

Should be good fun today, although a podium is surely out of the question.
Max will most probably be one of the highlights of the race, will be very interesting to watch him go or at least try to go through the field.

If he does choose to start on Hards, it will be difficult in the first few laps, since he could lose some positions at the start due to the grip difference with those on Mediums or Softs.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

damager21

Marti_EF3 wrote:
09 Jun 2019, 15:38
damager21 wrote:
09 Jun 2019, 15:25
Marti_EF3 wrote:
09 Jun 2019, 13:45

I think you're over reacting with only one bad qualifying. Both STR and Max were on their fast lap when Magnussen crashed... And even with that, I think that Honda are better on race than on quali at the moment. Wait until the race finishes, and then we will discuss with better arguments.
I agree. Red Bull-Honda is way better than what we see on the Quali times. Gasly lost time as is evident in his Q3 stint video. Without that he would have been closer to Top 4. I can only imagine what Max would have done if he was in Q3.

Coming to Race, I expect a strong show from Max
1. Max will start from 9th instead of 11th because of penalties for Sainz & Kevin, so already 2 place up with tyre choice
2. Max could start on brand new Hard or brand new Soft tyres - so both options are available. I expect him to start on Hard tyres
3. Expect safety car moments which will help bring the field together
4. The likes of Riccardo, Gasly, Hulkenberg and Norris will pit very early so even if Max does not make a good start, he will in No time end up 5th

The only worrying factor is top speed of all 4 Renault powered cars making it difficult for Max to overtake
RBR are only 2-4kph slower on the speed trap. It's not a problem if the front car don't have drs or a tow. Also the STR are near the 330kmh mark, so the differences are on the aero side rather than engine side. If Max manage to pass the midfielders soon enough, it will be a chance to at least fight with Leclerc and maybe Bottas. He needs clear air as soon as possible. And maybe if Gasly with the soft can overtake someone on the start, and block some top car to not go away. It would be great

The speed difference on speed trap is quite a lot. Wondering if Red Bull will split strategy - 1 stop (HS) for Max and 2 (SHS) for Gasly

Marti_EF3

Qualifying speed trap seems more equal

GhostF1

Marti_EF3 wrote:
09 Jun 2019, 16:22

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/D8kNz8yXUAE ... name=large
Exactly, there's nothing in it whatsoever. It's displaying varying Aero levels.

What we can say is it looks like Renault are running lower downforce than a lot of other teams, if they keep that level for the race, their tyres could suffer. Honda in race trim is highly effective at the moment as well, Horner even made mention during qualifying. So will be interesting.

But for the record, it's fair to say Ricciardo had a stormer of a lap. 0.4 clear of Hulk as well.

PhillipM

I don't expect Max to lose places at the start even on Hard tyres - mainly because Lando in front has been very cautious at starts so far and generally drops back a place or two.

ME4ME

Also it makes little sense for those just behind Max to start on softs. They are likely to start on hards or mediums themselves. But we'll see, I could be wrong.

Marti_EF3

GhostF1 wrote:
09 Jun 2019, 16:50
Marti_EF3 wrote:
09 Jun 2019, 16:22

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/D8kNz8yXUAE ... name=large
Exactly, there's nothing in it whatsoever. It's displaying varying Aero levels.

What we can say is it looks like Renault are running lower downforce than a lot of other teams, if they keep that level for the race, their tyres could suffer. Honda in race trim is highly effective at the moment as well, Horner even made mention during qualifying. So will be interesting.

But for the record, it's fair to say Ricciardo had a stormer of a lap. 0.4 clear of Hulk as well.
Yeah, he did a perfect lap. It may be true that they focused on a more qualifying setup and low DF to be up on the grid and then trying to defend it with a higher top speed. But like you said the tires can play a big role, and maybe with that setup they won't be able to set the tires on the window and suffer some graining on the soft. The Mclaren seems a more effective car than the Renault. Max need to overtake as soon as possible the cars with soft tires after they start to slow down, but on the first laps will be quite hard due traction superiority of the softs. We will see :?

SmallSoldier

PhillipM wrote:I don't expect Max to lose places at the start even on Hard tyres - mainly because Lando in front has been very cautious at starts so far and generally drops back a place or two.
I was thinking more in terms of outright acceleration of the line at the start... With tire temperatures not optimal after the formation lap and the difference in grip... The hard tires could be a disadvantage in the first couple of laps.

Can’t wait for the lights to go out!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

fellowhoodlums

Interesting regarding speed traps, but says too many things

Aero, engine, gearing, exit from last corner

This season I personally think it’s clear the Engine is lacking a little oomf and whilst ahead of the Renault end of 2018, isn’t now. But.....ultimately they are still clearly the third best team which is impressive and the Honda has different characteristics, maverick in some ways. Loving seeing the team develop the relationship.

Marti_EF3

Albert Fabrega just said on TV that RBR have a big chasis update ready for France =D>

Marti_EF3

Starting on Hards... :?

nzjrs

McMika98 wrote:
09 Jun 2019, 21:41
There we have it. Same pace as the Renaults. Miles behind Ferrari and Mercedes. Even on fresh tires Max is lapping similar to Renault.
Gasly even with the undercut was overtaken by Hulk doing an overcut on used soft. Goes to show how much engine power the Renault have in hand over Honda now. Hulk in his first stint before pits was lapping same pace as the front pace setters.
Honda have been undressed here and its going to get worse in the next few tracks unless they take the bullet and deliver a new spec.
Damm the nightmare of mclaren is happening again.
Man, hovering over keyboard until race finishes, posts garbage. Blocked.

KelsO

McMika98 wrote:
09 Jun 2019, 21:41
There we have it. Same pace as the Renaults. Miles behind Ferrari and Mercedes. Even on fresh tires Max is lapping similar to Renault.
Gasly even with the undercut was overtaken by Hulk doing an overcut on used soft. Goes to show how much engine power the Renault have in hand over Honda now. Hulk in his first stint before pits was lapping same pace as the front pace setters.
Honda have been undressed here and its going to get worse in the next few tracks unless they take the bullet and deliver a new spec.
You worry too much about Honda and Red Bull. When you strongly desire the failure of another, trouble comes to your home. "This is karma" :lol:

shingles

McMika98 wrote:There we have it. Same pace as the Renaults. Miles behind Ferrari and Mercedes. Even on fresh tires Max is lapping similar to Renault.
Seriously, does this make you feel better? Lol.
It’s like you just can’t wait to crap on Honda. Funny. Grow up man.