2019 Aston Martin Red Bull Racing - Honda F1 Team

This forum contains threads to discuss teams themselves. Anything not technical about the cars, including restructuring, performances etc belongs here.
yener

Re: 2019 Aston Martin Red Bull Racing - Honda F1 Team

godlameroso wrote:
18 Jun 2019, 21:36
The construction itself is stiffer, ie stiffer sidewalls, less deflection. This alone wreaks havoc with the suspension kinematics, but also aerodynamically.
The aero effect is almost 0. The only impact is when they use the brakes, the car will probably dive less to the ground.
"Life is about passions - Thank you for sharing mine" MSC

Wouter

Sorry @Hino, I didn't see that your post was a link. I thought it was only a sentence. #-o
The Power of Dreams!

loner

the time different between Kvyat and Albon should draw a conclusion about this upgrade i think...
para bellum.

etusch

Is not there any number guess

Marti_EF3

Interesting to see what the effort with IHI brings on the Spec 3. And I guess the new ES and CE they got on Canada have something with the update too. Friday can't come soon enough [-o<

godlameroso

If they're working with the Honda Jet people its gotta be turbo related.
Saishū kōnā

godlameroso

yener wrote:
19 Jun 2019, 10:17
godlameroso wrote:
18 Jun 2019, 21:36
The construction itself is stiffer, ie stiffer sidewalls, less deflection. This alone wreaks havoc with the suspension kinematics, but also aerodynamically.
The aero effect is almost 0. The only impact is when they use the brakes, the car will probably dive less to the ground.
The car suspension has to be set up to take advantage of the stiffer construction, which means you're altering alignment. They take more heat to work so you have to add scrub to the tires, particularly the fronts, so they stay within the temp range. Changing the front toe affects not just aero but car balance as well.

Naturally toe and suspension alignment isn't static, but rather dynamic as the suspension articulates, so new alignment curves have to be built into the chassis to get the most out of the tires.

With the simpler front wings and no cascade elements to divert airflow, the front tire turbulence creates more disturbances as the wheel is turned. I feel Red Bull are still learning and compensating for the new regulations.
Saishū kōnā

godlameroso

"In producing this Spec 3 PU, we have updated the turbocharger thanks to the knowledge and technology of the Aero engine department in the area of aerodynamic design, working alongside turbocharger manufacturer IHI."

Probably meaning turbo blade geometry in order to increase the efficiency island of the turbo?

"Our test bench data shows a power increase over the previous version of our PU, however we know that we have not yet matched the figures from the manufacturers currently leading the championship. "

So it is a bump over spec 2 but not enough to close the gap. I hope it gets the Bulls a little closer.
Saishū kōnā

Marti_EF3

godlameroso wrote:
19 Jun 2019, 14:50
"In producing this Spec 3 PU, we have updated the turbocharger thanks to the knowledge and technology of the Aero engine department in the area of aerodynamic design, working alongside turbocharger manufacturer IHI."

Probably meaning turbo blade geometry in order to increase the efficiency island of the turbo?

"Our test bench data shows a power increase over the previous version of our PU, however we know that we have not yet matched the figures from the manufacturers currently leading the championship. "

So it is a bump over spec 2 but not enough to close the gap. I hope it gets the Bulls a little closer.
As I said few days ago, I hope that Hitachi have something to do with the electrical parts of the PU like the ES...

ispano6

Marti_EF3 wrote:
19 Jun 2019, 16:24
godlameroso wrote:

As I said few days ago, I hope that Hitachi have something to do with the electrical parts of the PU like the ES...
Hitachi? Honda's subsidiary for ES is Yuasa.

ispano6

Maplesoup wrote:
14 Jun 2019, 08:44

So again as i said there is no evidence of new packaging, only a power upgrade that could come from any part of the power unit.

We need to stop stating speculation as fact, if its your opinion or a theory you have then fantastic but state it as such rather than trying to convince people that what you are saying is true.
https://www.formula1.com/en/latest/arti ... xSV15.html

What did I tell you. Spec3 is exactly the upgrade I "speculated". And to answer your question, they worked with the Honda aero turbine department for various reasons I won't go into, but rest assured Honda is utilizing all resources necessary to close the gap.
Last edited by ispano6 on 19 Jun 2019, 17:22, edited 1 time in total.

Marti_EF3

ispano6 wrote:
19 Jun 2019, 16:35
Marti_EF3 wrote:
19 Jun 2019, 16:24
godlameroso wrote:

Hitachi? Honda's subsidiary for ES is Yuasa.
It's only a guess, because they have a partnership with Hitachi too. The ES was for an example

Maplesoup

ispano6 wrote:
19 Jun 2019, 16:54
Maplesoup wrote:
14 Jun 2019, 08:44

So again as i said there is no evidence of new packaging, only a power upgrade that could come from any part of the power unit.

We need to stop stating speculation as fact, if its your opinion or a theory you have then fantastic but state it as such rather than trying to convince people that what you are saying is true.
https://www.formula1.com/en/latest/arti ... xSV15.html

What did I tell you. Spec3 is exactly the upgrade I "speculated". And to answer your question, they worked with the Honda aero turbine department for various reasons I won't go into, but rest assured Honda is utilizing all resources necessary to close the gap.
Yea that wasn't aimed at you previously. It was aimed at the people going on about how the packaging was going to suddenly change.

You replied to my previous comment showing evidence of the obvious power increase. My comment was to say that there is no evidence of a packaging change.

rogazilla

Maplesoup wrote:
19 Jun 2019, 20:38
You replied to my previous comment showing evidence of the obvious power increase. My comment was to say that there is no evidence of a packaging change.
Not evidence this is part of Spec 3 but I believe this is the article that have people started talking about Honda PU Packaging. The article came out in April and people would expect some of those communication between RBR and Honda makes some changes to Spec 3 which RBR is also bringing car upgrade to at the same time. Just a 'speculative' link of the 2 based on timing.

Rob Marshall (RBR chief engineering officer):
"It's almost like free gains, if you know what I mean, as in no real performance cost on Honda's side. It's just making different bits and moving a few things around. They are very open to our suggestions and equally, we understand when they say that's a bit tricky or we don't want to do that because there's a reliability risk associated with that."

https://www.motorsport.com/f1/news/red- ... a/4366711/