2019 Aston Martin Red Bull Racing - Honda F1 Team

This forum contains threads to discuss teams themselves. Anything not technical about the cars, including restructuring, performances etc belongs here.
Juzh

Re: 2019 Aston Martin Red Bull Racing - Honda F1 Team

Bandit1216 wrote:
05 Jul 2019, 12:59
IMO Silverstone is the hardest circuit to predict, with a lot of high speed corners.

For corner x it might be like:
Merc used to lift, but the top speed was higher in 2018. Now they don't have to lift, but top speed is lower.
RB was full trottle last year, and now not. Or maybe yes, with new aero update. Maybe easy even, so they reduce DF for more top end.
Ferrari, lifts but top speed is far higher.

One can do a meaningful less down-forge for more top speed exchange when you actually have enough down force for that particular corner to take it full throttle.

And all above is different for the next corner, and also for tire compound. I really think it's anyone's guess.
No one will lift in any corner that used to be "nearly" flat before 2018. Copse will be easy flat for everyone, as will turn 1. The more power you have the better because everything is a straight nowadays in silverstone.

Wouter

lio007 wrote:
05 Jul 2019, 13:27
Grabbed this one from the autorsport-forum: Honda HQ
https://i.redd.it/61044ese27831.jpg
Thanks to @JimmyTheFox on the Autosport forum. =D> :wink:
The Power of Dreams!

HPD

An exit clause could be a Verstappen obligation.

Helmut Marko: "It's performance-related, I'm not worried right now."

"Sunday's victory was an important step, Max knows what he has about us and Honda, and the Honda people showed what they are capable of at the Red Bull Ring."

Marko continued, "The first time they've used a new, more aggressive engine software this season has brought us a big step forward, with the next expansion of the engine in Monza."

"We are also improving from the chassis side in every race and now I can confidently say that when the others falter we are fully there."

Particularly striking was the difference in performance in Austria: While Verstappen won, Gasly was only seventh with one lap behind the teammate.
Marko added: "But that can partly be explained, we had new front spoilers, which were a big step, but unfortunately only one was left for the race and Max got in. Nevertheless, Gasly has to improve, especially when overtaking He has to deliver until the summer break, but I'm sure we'll get him there. "
https://www.autobild.de/artikel/formel- ... 39257.html
ExxonMobil
Eugine Choi: 'We are planning two to three upgrades per season. We introduced a new fuel at the start of the season. After the summer break we will start developing the fuel for 2020 again."

Marti_EF3

So, according to Marko, Honda made a big step forward only with fine tuning the mapping of the engine. It make sense then introducing it on France just before their "home race" and gather info for a better mapping for Austria.

What I'm not so sure is, if Gasly gets the upgraded package, will he be near Max and able to clear all midfield cars?? I hope so, but its 50/50...

godlameroso

Juzh wrote:
05 Jul 2019, 13:37
Bandit1216 wrote:
05 Jul 2019, 12:59
IMO Silverstone is the hardest circuit to predict, with a lot of high speed corners.

For corner x it might be like:
Merc used to lift, but the top speed was higher in 2018. Now they don't have to lift, but top speed is lower.
RB was full trottle last year, and now not. Or maybe yes, with new aero update. Maybe easy even, so they reduce DF for more top end.
Ferrari, lifts but top speed is far higher.

One can do a meaningful less down-forge for more top speed exchange when you actually have enough down force for that particular corner to take it full throttle.

And all above is different for the next corner, and also for tire compound. I really think it's anyone's guess.
No one will lift in any corner that used to be "nearly" flat before 2018. Copse will be easy flat for everyone, as will turn 1. The more power you have the better because everything is a straight nowadays in silverstone.
Downforce is still important because the most time sensitive curves require you to slow down and get on the power as soon as possible. Also triple DRS means the compromise is harder to make.

.3 in the straights are nothing compared to .8 in the corners.
Saishū kōnā

godlameroso

Marti_EF3 wrote:
05 Jul 2019, 15:20
So, according to Marko, Honda made a big step forward only with fine tuning the mapping of the engine. It make sense then introducing it on France just before their "home race" and gather info for a better mapping for Austria.

What I'm not so sure is, if Gasly gets the upgraded package, will he be near Max and able to clear all midfield cars?? I hope so, but its 50/50...
Engine tuning is very much an art, and a good tuner is worth his money. With these engines being run so close to the limit, good mapping can mean several kW, benefits in power delivery, and fuel efficiency.

Perhaps the software is a result of a new philosophy regarding the power unit. Being so dependent on the turbo, and so treating the engine as a turbine/reciprocating piston hybrid.
Saishū kōnā

NL_Fer

Juzh wrote:
02 Jul 2019, 12:37
40 minutes of verstappen's onboards with telemetry:

part 1/4 verstappen austria race onboard first stint - overtakes gasly, norris, raikkonen
https://streamable.com/kr2je

part 2/4 verstappen austria race onboard second stint - vettel overtake & bottas chase
https://streamable.com/8imqy

part 3/4 verstappen austria race onboard second stint - bottas overtake & leclerc chase
https://streamable.com/ik5a9

part 4/4 verstappen austria race onboard second stint - leclerc chase & overtake
https://streamable.com/9aovu
Impressive to see, the RB15 was still weak on corner exit. But Max cuts the corners earlier to have more speed on exit to keep close and use the tow for overtaking.

etusch

Before the Austrian race, it was claimed that Max Verstappen could have contracts with other teams if he could not win the race before the summer break.

Marko confirmed this indirectly.

"When I presented Max as the 'new Ayrton Senna' in 2015, some people said I shouldn't make a comparison like that. Now nobody can oppose me. Our contract with Max depends on the results and I have no worries. He knows what we can do or what Honda can do. "

"For the first time this season they used more aggressive engine software and took big steps forward. They will also take the Monza. We are also developing the chassis. So if our competitors have problems, then we can turn them into opportunities."

Marko said that they also used Sebastien Buemi in the simulator and changed the simulator program in this respect.

https://tr.motorsport.com/f1/news/marko ... i/4489368/

HPD

Question.
If Honda used an aggressive map (the famous 11 mode) for more than 30 laps. This means an increase in gasoline consumption, right?
They ran half the race with a lot of fuel?
It seems that Red Bull Honda had everything ready. :idea:

McMika98

etusch wrote:
06 Jul 2019, 10:57
Marko said that they also used Sebastien Buemi in the simulator and changed the simulator program in this respect.
I did mention few months back that the now sacked Dan Ticktum who was doing the sim runs must have been the reason for the poor car balance. In many early races the car never improved drastically from Friday to Sunday. Merc have Ocon in the sims, who is doing a stellar job for them.

Albon was in Milton Keynes straight after Austria. Hmm might be doing some Sim runs to compare against Gasly.

NL_Fer

HPD wrote:
06 Jul 2019, 12:46
Question.
If Honda used an aggressive map (the famous 11 mode) for more than 30 laps. This means an increase in gasoline consumption, right?
They ran half the race with a lot of fuel?
It seems that Red Bull Honda had everything ready. :idea:
No it is always limited to 100kg/h of fuel. A high power mode means more agressive combustion. Higher cilinder temps and pressures, maybe even a little more controlled knock. It wears down the engine.

Probably we will seen another new engine for Verstappen soon.

Wazari

Just for clarification, "Mode 11" was not run for more than 30 laps at the last race. Less than 12 laps. There are also more aggressive modes available above "11".
“If Honda does not race, there is no Honda.”

“Success represents the 1% of your work which results from the 99% that is called failure.”

-- Honda Soichiro

shingles

Wazari wrote:Just for clarification, "Mode 11" was not run for more than 30 laps at the last race. Less than 12 laps. There are also more aggressive modes available above "11".
Wasari-San. How do you feel the results in Austria will translate to other tracks (before the next update). In other words, how much of the result was due to the altitude and heat and how much was due to improvements from the PU?

Godius

Wazari wrote:
06 Jul 2019, 18:50
Just for clarification, "Mode 11" was not run for more than 30 laps at the last race. Less than 12 laps. There are also more aggressive modes available above "11".
What kind of engine mode was used by Toro Rosso during Q3 in the Japanese GP 2018 qualifying session?

ME4ME

Wazari wrote:
06 Jul 2019, 18:50
Can't wait for Honda to unleash mode 12 8)