2019 Aston Martin Red Bull Racing - Honda F1 Team

This forum contains threads to discuss teams themselves. Anything not technical about the cars, including restructuring, performances etc belongs here.
Juzh

Re: 2019 Aston Martin Red Bull Racing - Honda F1 Team

Unlikely verstappen would be able to hold off bottas on fresh rubber and inherently faster car at the end, so I don't believe P2 was on the cards today. He might be able to do so if he got the job done on leclerc much sooner, but not after already losing tons of time behind other slower cars.

What was really interesting is how bad ferrari was on the main straight up until T3. Not sure what was going on there but the bulls were gaining bus lengths on them in that section.

Verstappen was also suffering with low battery during his entire fight with leclerc, he was told on numerous occasions to hold back and turn engine into mode 8 to top up the battery and then have a proper go at him. Instead he was apparently using way too much overtake button, which drained the battery too early to finish off the attack.
After he was let go by gasly and before his fight with vettel he actually was using mode 8 and came behind him with battery fully charged. Boost (free loading the engine aka some sort of quali mode?) and overtake button (dumping the battery) combined made the ferrari a total sitting duck on the hangar straight as a result. Vettel couldn't do anything at all to prevent it and was totally powerless to defend himself, something which in the past would be unthinkable.

I think had verstappen acted in the same way in his scrap with leclerc he would be able to overtake him much earlier and then maybe have a fight with bottas at the end. A lesson for the future perhaps.

godlameroso

It was a good race that could have been great for Verstappen, but them's the breaks, Vettel again drawing the short end of the stick in his clashes with Verstappen. Gasly performed better so it definitely shows the car has improved if even he was a match for the Ferraris. Verstappen may have had the pace to challenge Bottas, but not Hamilton. Oh well, on to the next one, I definitely think the RB 15 can do very well in Germany. I honestly think they can fight for victories now, it's just very difficult because they don't have track position due to their qualifying. As we saw today, small mistakes are punished because everyone is so close in terms of performance. Verstappen had the chance to pull away from Leclerc but make a mistake on the loop, he could have overtaken Vettel but was hit by him instead.

Yes the individual result is disappointing, but only because we understand the potential to fight at the front is there. There's no longer a .6-.8 second gap but a .2-.3 second gap at the most, which is then nullified by the Red Bull's superior tire management. This is the same gap that Hamilton currently has on Bottas, and this is very track dependent, with a clean run with no mistakes I think the Red Bull in Verstappen's hands is the fastest car over a race distance on most tracks. Very encouraging for the future races if this keeps up.

Most importantly it shows Austria wasn't a fluke, Red Bull has legitimately taken a step forward and narrowed the gap.
Saishū kōnā

Pyrone89

ispano6 wrote:
14 Jul 2019, 17:06
Karim28 wrote:
14 Jul 2019, 16:53
gandharva wrote:
14 Jul 2019, 16:48

Would have been easy P2 after Bottas pit.
I think BOT wouldn't have to pit if there were dangers from the rest .
They pitted to achieve Fastest lap but their plandidn't go well
No, he had to pit. Max for certain would have been 2nd. Unfortunately his record of finishing ahead or at his starting position has come to an end.

Vettel probably won't want to visit Red Bull hospitality center for a bit.
And I think its clear the Red Bull Honda package is on par with Ferrari. Honda engine might be better than Ferraris in race trim.
Lets not get carried away, the reason they were good on th straights was because they cam on it with more speed due to the superior handling in Maggots and Becketts. And even with that and DrS plus a good slipstream they didnt manage to overtake Ferrari on the straights. I am afraid Germany is going to reset all the jubely.
True GOATs don’t need the help of superior material to win.

Tom Brady, Usain Bolt are true GOATs.

ispano6

Pyrone89 wrote:
15 Jul 2019, 00:00
ispano6 wrote:
Karim28 wrote:
14 Jul 2019, 16:53

I think BOT wouldn't have to pit if there were dangers from the rest .
They pitted to achieve Fastest lap but their plandidn't go well
No, he had to pit. Max for certain would have been 2nd. Unfortunately his record of finishing ahead or at his starting position has come to an end.

And I think its clear the Red Bull Honda package is on par with Ferrari. Honda engine might be better than Ferraris in race trim.
Lets not get carried away, the reason they were good on th straights was because they cam on it with more speed due to the superior handling in Maggots and Becketts. And even with that and DrS plus a good slipstream they didnt manage to overtake Ferrari on the straights. I am afraid Germany is going to reset all the jubely.
Reality is sometimes stranger than fiction. Truth is Verstappen was held up by Leclerc in the first stint, and in the 2nd, well, we know what happened after Max passed, you know, a Ferrari. The gap to the Mercedes was because Leclerc was backing Verstappen into Vettel. Besides, Bottas didn't even claim fastest lap and he wasn't pulling away from even a crippled Max.

Pyrone89

ispano6 wrote:
15 Jul 2019, 00:14
Pyrone89 wrote:
ispano6 wrote:

Reality is sometimes stranger than fiction. Truth is Verstappen was held up by Leclerc in the first stint, and in the 2nd, well, we know what happened after Max passed, you know, a Ferrari. The gap to the Mercedes was because Leclerc was backing Verstappen into Vettel. Besides, Bottas didn't even claim fastest lap and he wasn't pulling away from even a crippled Max.
I am also hopimg for it, but I rather reserve judgment because gettimg all excited and then beind blitzed by Ferrari in the next race would be horrible.
True GOATs don’t need the help of superior material to win.

Tom Brady, Usain Bolt are true GOATs.

Sieper

Juzh wrote:
14 Jul 2019, 23:21
Unlikely verstappen would be able to hold off bottas on fresh rubber and inherently faster car at the end, so I don't believe P2 was on the cards today. He might be able to do so if he got the job done on leclerc much sooner, but not after already losing tons of time behind other slower cars.

What was really interesting is how bad ferrari was on the main straight up until T3. Not sure what was going on there but the bulls were gaining bus lengths on them in that section.

Verstappen was also suffering with low battery during his entire fight with leclerc, he was told on numerous occasions to hold back and turn engine into mode 8 to top up the battery and then have a proper go at him. Instead he was apparently using way too much overtake button, which drained the battery too early to finish off the attack.
After he was let go by gasly and before his fight with vettel he actually was using mode 8 and came behind him with battery fully charged. Boost (free loading the engine aka some sort of quali mode?) and overtake button (dumping the battery) combined made the ferrari a total sitting duck on the hangar straight as a result. Vettel couldn't do anything at all to prevent it and was totally powerless to defend himself, something which in the past would be unthinkable.

I think had verstappen acted in the same way in his scrap with leclerc he would be able to overtake him much earlier and then maybe have a fight with bottas at the end. A lesson for the future perhaps.
There was no job to be done earlier on Leclerc, in Verstappens own words “way to dangerous”. Leclerc was also driving different lines through maggots & becketts (like he was doing all weekend, also in qualy) slower through but faster on the gas coming out. That was what prevented Verstappen making the pass at the end of hangar straight. That combined with the turbo lag that they apparently were not allowed (or couldn’t) remap intime for the race. Vettel drove the same lines and was a sitting duck. That battery issue was a one time that I heared that. Just making sure he had a full one on the critical moment, as, I am sure, leclerc was also doing.

Hopefully they get the turbo mapping even better for next race.

Godius

Juzh wrote:
14 Jul 2019, 23:21

When they are talking about modes, it's probably about the state of charge setting (pink dial on the steering wheel). Mode 8 = '+' setting which indeed generates more energy.

Datco

It was clear RBR was going for the win while Ferrari was going for second best. Whether or not the win was possible there was a very clear difference in mindset. This held up the RBR charge. For RBR to challenge for wins in future though they need Gasly up there to put Ferrari and Merc under pressure with the strategy for pit stops like he did yesterday.

Singabule

Datco wrote:
15 Jul 2019, 09:39
It was clear RBR was going for the win while Ferrari was going for second best. Whether or not the win was possible there was a very clear difference in mindset. This held up the RBR charge. For RBR to challenge for wins in future though they need Gasly up there to put Ferrari and Merc under pressure with the strategy for pit stops like he did yesterday.
RB need the best wingman to accomplish the goal, winning WDC and WCC. If Gasly can develop himself as another Bottas, then all complete. Ricci dont wants that status tho, and Leclerc just too good to receive that treatment. Attacker and Defender, that the best composition.

gokarter

It was nice to see honda engine easily overtaking vettel in the straights. bodes well for them in future . i think in terms of race performance honda ,mercedes and ferrari are level and renault last, it only in qualy ferrari has a little bit more. with more upgrades and spec 4 , more wins are possilbee. the future of redbull racing is bright. however i still believe they should try out albon in the redbull and measure hiim against gasly. gasly will need more time ,because his race pace is much slowerr than max.shame redbull lost riccardo

loner

Pyrone89 wrote:
the current spec 3 is very good but to know there will be spec 4 soon coupling with a beast chassis is whats realy make the second half of this season potentially supreme.
thats what iam waiting and should be what every one wait for as well.
para bellum.

Datco

Singabule wrote:
15 Jul 2019, 10:32
Datco wrote:
15 Jul 2019, 09:39
RB need the best wingman to accomplish the goal, winning WDC and WCC. If Gasly can develop himself as another Bottas, then all complete. Ricci dont wants that status tho, and Leclerc just too good to receive that treatment. Attacker and Defender, that the best composition.
Get over Ricci man that's all in your head. RBR just need both drivers up front to equalize on strategy regardless of who needs to make the sacrifice. Merc and Ferrari had that advantage up to now that put RBR on the back foot.

santos

To Gasly:
Lap 26, start/finish straight
Remember we’re different strategies. Don’t hold Max up, we’re on different strategies.
To Gasly:
Wellington Straight
Don’t lose time with Max, let him go if he tries, follow him after Vettel.
To Gasly:
Lap 27, Wellington Straight
Let’s not hold Max up, Pierre, don’t hold Max up.
Gasly:
I’m not holding him.
To Gasly:
Understood, radio latched.
To Gasly:
Exit of Copse, Horner
Pierre, it’s Christian, you need to let Max go, you’re on a different strategy.
To Gasly:
Stowe
Thanks mate.

So, Horner is the James of 2019..

But if it was Binotto, the internet would catch fire.

loner

but it was GAS that performed bad since race one he is not rivaling any one not even his teammate he is in the middle of nowhere and he has only himself to blame so why not let his teammate pass since he is in a massive battle with the Ferrari's only till now.
on other note AMUS claiming spec 4 is already finished so why wouldn't they use it in germany they will have a penalty any way so get the power on board as soon as you can and aim for wins earlier than later.
From the Honda environment, we hear that the next expansion stage of the engine performance equal to the current specification of Mercedes. The engine is as good as ready, but will likely make its debut after the summer break.
para bellum.

rogazilla

My speculation is they probably have more work on the software side to stabilized the map and establish a better baseline on spec 3 before they move on to the next one?

A wild guess, do we know if Gasly has the turbo lag? Could they introduce different map on 2 different cars? Could it be a map for Gas to introduce a little delay for more stable rear end out of corner?