2019 Aston Martin Red Bull Racing - Honda F1 Team

This forum contains threads to discuss teams themselves. Anything not technical about the cars, including restructuring, performances etc belongs here.
Bill

Re: 2019 Aston Martin Red Bull Racing - Honda F1 Team

Redbull needs to start focusing on Mercedes and stop being distracted by Ferrari if they had let Ferrari go on first stint and mirrored their strategy to that of Lewis they could have got great results.i think they have a better than Ferrari even though wolf likes talking them up i guess beating a soft drink company or a Honda is not really sellable in marketing speak

dxpetrov

Max showed great speed that would have challenged the Mercs if only that he wasn’t held up by Ferrari (ref. lap 24 to 36).
Good battles looming ahead which will result in Max becoming main opponent for the title even this year.

Juzh

here's gasly chasing and overtaking vettel in the first stint
https://streamable.com/iabz5

I'll upload entire verstappen fight with leclerc and vettel later today or tommorow.

ME4ME

Reviewing the weekend.. what really cost the most was the qualifying performance issues. Forget about the two tenths that potentially cost Verstappen pole, had he qualified just ahead of Leclerc and could've followed the Mercs in the first stint, it would've been a totally different race. Hopefully they'll rectify this, and of course Honda already mentioned to be working on qualifying improvements.

Thnx Juzh for the videos.

nzjrs

Karma and the beginning of the end for Gasly? Blocked Hartley near the end of the year to secure promotion, this year it might have another effect.

gokarter

i still think redbull should try out albon , he is quicker qualifier i believe than gasly and look good on race pace matching in the midfield in first stint only to loose out due to medium switch. look at all the f2 drivers, doing really well . time to give albon a try.

Wouter

nzjrs wrote:
15 Jul 2019, 17:46
Karma and the beginning of the end for Gasly? Blocked Hartley near the end of the year to secure promotion, this year it might have another effect.
I can imagine that Gasly was over-enthusiastic, because he was finally able to drive decent in the RB15 and drove good times.
In his enthusiasm he forgot that Max was really faster and really had to let him pass.
I don't think this will happen again, now that Horner has clearly told him Max was driving faster, even though Gasly didn't think so.
The Power of Dreams!

Manoah2u

Max is way, way faster than Gasly in every sense of the word. You gotta be blind to not notice that.
Gasly imho is not fit for the RB mothership team, or any top team whatsoever.
That much was already visible when he was at Toro Rosso, but i understand they hadn't much choice for Danny's seat.
Albon however shows amazing potential, much more than Gasly.
If i was RB, i'd replace Gasly with Albon, no doubt about it. I understand that they won't use Kvyat anymore,
even though i think at some levels Kvyat is faster and stronger than Albon - i think Albon's growth potential is bigger too.

Verstappen-Albon would be a great combination.

It is painfully obvious though that Gasly hasn't got the capacity or if he has, he hasn't got the motivation to fight Leclerc
in the same way Verstappen did, even though they have the same car. That to me is one of the telltale signs Gasly is not cut for it.
I do believe Albon would have put up a bigger fight.
"Explain the ending to F1 in football terms"
"Hamilton was beating Verstappen 7-0, then the ref decided F%$& rules, next goal wins
while also sending off 4 Hamilton players to make it more interesting"

gokarter

^^ i agree with above post. albon has more potential and raw. gasly have a hard time overtaking and does not possess the raw speed. marko big complaint about gasly that it take him plenty of time to get an overtake done.

shingles

nzjrs wrote:Karma and the beginning of the end for Gasly? Blocked Hartley near the end of the year to secure promotion, this year it might have another effect.
Did you actually think Hartley had any shot? Good lad, no way he was close to any promotion.

nzjrs

shingles wrote:
15 Jul 2019, 18:49
nzjrs wrote:Karma and the beginning of the end for Gasly? Blocked Hartley near the end of the year to secure promotion, this year it might have another effect.
Did you actually think Hartley had any shot? Good lad, no way he was close to any promotion.
No I didn't think Hartley had a shot at promotion. I meant blocked (didn't let him by despite commanded to do so), on the track in a similar situation.

ispano6

Manoah2u wrote:
15 Jul 2019, 18:22
Max is way, way faster than Gasly in every sense of the word. You gotta be blind to not notice that.
Gasly imho is not fit for the RB mothership team, or any top team whatsoever.
That much was already visible when he was at Toro Rosso, but i understand they hadn't much choice for Danny's seat.
Albon however shows amazing potential, much more than Gasly.
If i was RB, i'd replace Gasly with Albon, no doubt about it. I understand that they won't use Kvyat anymore,
even though i think at some levels Kvyat is faster and stronger than Albon - i think Albon's growth potential is bigger too.

Verstappen-Albon would be a great combination.

It is painfully obvious though that Gasly hasn't got the capacity or if he has, he hasn't got the motivation to fight Leclerc
in the same way Verstappen did, even though they have the same car. That to me is one of the telltale signs Gasly is not cut for it.
I do believe Albon would have put up a bigger fight.
A colleague and I had a conversation about French drivers in non-french teams and we discussed the strange coincidence of the effect of Grosjean, Ocon, Gasly and Leclerc on their respective teams. It would seem they are all very good but are characteristically "unlucky" and somehow hold the team back in order to help out another team...

Based on comments from Jean-Alec Vergne about driver and team tactics, it kind of makes me wonder...

nacho

Gasly's driving looks good, and the result was a million times better than Austria.

McMika98

Gasly seem to be getting his mojo back but he still is a poor racer. Does not defend well nor attack but good in free air. Lucky he didnt gey stuck behind the Mclaren. Two more races to save his Redbull career.
Albon is class and arguebly has highest ceiling of this rookie class given he had very little backing and had to do it the hard way. IMO both Albon and Kvyat is a better racer than Gasly.

Big Tea

nacho wrote:
15 Jul 2019, 20:02
Gasly's driving looks good, and the result was a million times better than Austria.
It does, and well done to him, but would you want a driver who can not set up his car?
I think it is a little late for him to 'pick it up' after going through all the junior series.

If it is just that the RBR is a completely different fish from any other, then fair play, get him sorted,but again, what has happened from day one with the team until now?

At worse case though it does look as if he is OK until the end of the year
When arguing with a fool, be sure the other person is not doing the same thing.