2019 Aston Martin Red Bull Racing - Honda F1 Team

This forum contains threads to discuss teams themselves. Anything not technical about the cars, including restructuring, performances etc belongs here.
ubuysa

Re: 2019 Aston Martin Red Bull Racing - Honda F1 Team

I believe it makes perfect sense to put Albon in the Red Bull car for the rest of this season.

Max is unlikely to win the WDC this year and Red Bull are unlikely to win the WCC this year, so the rest of this season can be used for experimentation. The Red Bull/Torro Rosso team have four drivers, three of them have already driven the Red Bull cars in full race weekends, only Albon has not. Thus putting Albon in a Red Bull for the rest of this season gives the teams equal data on all four drivers to decide properly who drives which cars next season.

Even if Albon struggles in the same was that Gasly has the Red Bull team have lost nothing, and he might do quite well.

restless

Singabule wrote:
13 Aug 2019, 05:08
Well, im not fancy this move as I prefer see Kvyat on that seat, but its good hence RB could access the necessary information whether they need to obtain talent elsewhere. Bottas or Hulk maybe their other option
Me too, but I think Kvyat is a known quality, and more mature these days. They want to "take the measure" of Albon vs Max (known quality), and compare Gasly with Kvyat.
After all, Albon is very close to Kvyat, and who knows what other metrics they have access to?!
Maybe Albon's style of driving is closer to Max?

Pyrone89

GPR -A wrote:
13 Aug 2019, 08:25
etusch wrote:
13 Aug 2019, 07:49
after Redbull's move Ferrari decided to bring an Engine upgrade to save second position in wcc :lol:
Is that supposed to be funny? Ever since engine allocation was reduced to 3, Spa has become the schedule for Spec 3 engine for Mercedes and Ferrari. Due to the nature of Spa and Monza, it is apt to introduce a new engine to meet the demands of these circuits.
True GOATs don’t need the help of superior material to win.

Tom Brady, Usain Bolt are true GOATs.

waynes

Pyrone89 wrote:
12 Aug 2019, 16:28
Amazon footage?

Would be hard to take Gasly out into the woods :wink:

But I am sure you meant Netflix, which is ironic seeing how the series is called ‘drive to survive’
loekf2 wrote:
12 Aug 2019, 14:43
Netflix...
the very same. Apologies. Very hungover when posting.

I have high hopes for Albon. His speed might just make things a little uncomfortable for VER.

The place to develop is in the junior team & I remember the interview with Pinkham when she asked GAS if he was ready, he said he was. It turns out he wasn’t, and now his future is very uncertain. Between him and KVY they’re now in a race to become the next JEV of sorts; a safe pair of hands, a good benchmark to measure against but with no prospect of driving for the senior team ever. Some will be happy with that, some will seek a challenge elsewhere. I believe it’ll be GAS who loses out; FE is his future.
Team ANTI-HYPE. Prove it, then I’ll anoint you.

Datco

214270 wrote:
13 Aug 2019, 16:06
I have high hopes for Albon. His speed might just make things a little uncomfortable for VER.

The place to develop is in the junior team & I remember the interview with Pinkham when she asked GAS if he was ready, he said he was. It turns out he wasn’t, and now his future is very uncertain. Between him and KVY they’re now in a race to become the next JEV of sorts; a safe pair of hands, a good benchmark to measure against but with no prospect of driving for the senior team ever. Some will be happy with that, some will seek a challenge elsewhere. I believe it’ll be GAS who loses out; FE is his future.
I still think it's between Kvyat and Albon for next year. Albon is on a 4 month test. Kvyat is a known quantity who performed well against Ricciardo. Gasly is still safe at STR and its up to him to prove himself. There does not seem to be any drivers down the RBR ranks that will threaten his seat for a while. I don't see any of them leaving of other series. Young drivers generally get booted out, if they not good enough. It's fair as it makes space for better talent to enter.

Pyrone89

214270 wrote:
13 Aug 2019, 16:06

Lets hope Albon turns out to be good, because if so a second Hungary can be prevented (him holding up HAM after the undercut instead of having free reign)

Marti_EF3

I would love to see a Japanese driver again in F1 driving for Honda and Redbull. But I'm afraid that none of the current Honda drivers have the min level to be at STR...

rgava

I was thinking on it for a wile now, and found a journalist who thinks the same:

https://racer.com/2019/08/08/medland-di ... -sainz-go/

“Carlos is a talented driver and I am happy to see him continue this career in F1 with McLaren. But we had a feeling that Pierre had more potential with us.” C. Horner

Capharol

Marti_EF3 wrote:
13 Aug 2019, 16:28
I would love to see a Japanese driver again in F1 driving for Honda and Redbull. But I'm afraid that none of the current Honda drivers have the min level to be at STR...
Matsisuta is close to getting his superlicense, but therefor he either needs to finish 4th in F2 or racing in the winter to get his points

Marti_EF3

Capharol wrote:
13 Aug 2019, 17:42
Marti_EF3 wrote:
Matsisuta is close to getting his superlicense, but therefor he either needs to finish 4th in F2 or racing in the winter to get his points
Is that true?? I thought that he was far from getting the points due he struggled on Super Formula. If he gets the superlicense, would be great to see him entering STR replacing Gasly, but he won't finish 4th on F2, too far away I think.

Capharol

Marti_EF3 wrote:
13 Aug 2019, 18:39
Capharol wrote:
13 Aug 2019, 17:42
Marti_EF3 wrote:
Is that true?? I thought that he was far from getting the points due he struggled on Super Formula. If he gets the superlicense, would be great to see him entering STR replacing Gasly, but he won't finish 4th on F2, too far away I think.
as far as i know he has some points already (2017 F2 finished 6th, 10 points) and if he finishes 4th this year, which is almost undoable he would have enough points.... but due to the gap (50 points) between him and 4th placed driver (Ghiotto) it will be hard to get those last 30 points so he has to drive in the winter to get the neccesarry points

Snorked

Some background info on Max's pole, he wasn't happy with the deployment on his first q3 lap. From his feedback over the radio Honda quickly ran simulations back in Japan and UK bases to optimise it then sent new settings back just in time for him to grab pole :mrgreen:
Tanabe TD appreciates that it was a radio from Verstappen that made it possible.

“Driving data is not one, but dozens or hundreds of data are sent by telemetry. If anything, engineers are keeping an eye on the data so that it can respond immediately. However, since there is an enormous amount of data, analysis takes time.

If the driver with the best sensor is saying `` This is weird '', the engineer can quickly find where it seems to be a problem without looking at other data. ''
https://number.bunshun.jp/articles/-/840275

Pyrone89

Snorked wrote:
13 Aug 2019, 20:48
Some background info on Max's pole, he wasn't happy with the deployment on his first q3 lap. From his feedback over the radio Honda quickly ran simulations back in Japan and UK bases to optimise it then sent new settings back just in time for him to grab pole :mrgreen:
Tanabe TD appreciates that it was a radio from Verstappen that made it possible.

“Driving data is not one, but dozens or hundreds of data are sent by telemetry. If anything, engineers are keeping an eye on the data so that it can respond immediately. However, since there is an enormous amount of data, analysis takes time.

If the driver with the best sensor is saying `` This is weird '', the engineer can quickly find where it seems to be a problem without looking at other data. ''
https://number.bunshun.jp/articles/-/840275
:? In 4 minutes time, daaaaamn that is impressive

McMika98

Really good article by a Dutch media outlet on why Albon was the right choice for the job.
The gist of it was Albon having not driven an F1 car was using Kvyats feedback and setup at the beginning of season but was learning quickly and recently was much more confident on setup direction independently so much so he was outqualifying Dany. What Redbull really wanted is someone who could learn from Max and understand how he extracts performance from the car. Gasly it appears was trying to twist and turn and blame the car connoting the setup didnt suit his driving style. Put simply they didnt think he was going to learn or was unwilling.