2019 Aston Martin Red Bull Racing - Honda F1 Team

This forum contains threads to discuss teams themselves. Anything not technical about the cars, including restructuring, performances etc belongs here.
DChemTech

Re: 2019 Aston Martin Red Bull Racing - Honda F1 Team

Well, there seems to be some reason for the point system - you don't want rich but wholly incapable drivers just buying themselves into F1 right? Imagine a Raghunathan just hopping in to a Williams - that would not be good for the sport. At least current paydrivers need to go through some effort. Although the number of points required does seem to be rather high - or perhaps there should be some other ways in/an option to get in with fewer points and fill the remaining points in the first F1 season or so, based on good performance.

Capharol

both ideas are not good.... and points are completly ok, if you drive in Europe (F2, F3) the problem is the points given in the other classes.
you need to eithr drive F2 (finish at the first 3 places), F3, FormulaE, WEC (only LMP1) and Indy (only winner)
which means if you drive in Super Formula and win you get 25 points, so you need to drive another serie or wait a year to get your points

Marti_EF3

Capharol wrote:
21 Aug 2019, 22:42
both ideas are not good.... and points are completly ok, if you drive in Europe (F2, F3) the problem is the points given in the other classes.
you need to eithr drive F2 (finish at the first 3 places), F3, FormulaE, WEC (only LMP1) and Indy (only winner)
which means if you drive in Super Formula and win you get 25 points, so you need to drive another serie or wait a year to get your points
Agree. Super Formula is the top single seater championship in Japan, and one of the most competitive with FIA F2 and F3, and the cars are faster than a F2. At least give the champion the points to get a SL. It's not good to centralize all in European or European based championships

Big Tea

Do you not think that winning F2 alone would not be enough to weed out the dangerously poor drivers? There is an age limit now and a long standing % rule so even though the odd one may get through they would still (probably) have a few years racing behind them and be good enough to qualify.
When arguing with a fool, be sure the other person is not doing the same thing.

godlameroso

F1 is a different beast, it's still a car at the end of the day, but the skillset needed to get the most out of the car is different to lesser Formulas. There are more settings and functions that change corner to corner. The driving requires a different touch due to the tires and aero performance. It's not always easy to adapt. A good F1 driver may not do well in other series, and likewise someone good at American open wheelers may not have the skillset that translates to an F1 environment.

As good as Alonso is, I think he'd struggle in Indy car.
Saishū kōnā

GhostF1

https://www.gpblog.com/en/news/43901/ja ... aces-.html

When it comes to Honda, this guy always without a doubt has a negative opinion. And it usually consists of rubbish that he cannot possibly know.. It's pretty damaging having a former F1 Champion talk so negatively, so often, for no reason with baseless nonsense. Did something happen behind closed doors with between them or is this coming from a French/ Renault thing?

Now he claims the engine only lasts 4 races so RBR are about to be in a big world of hurt... first I've heard of it lasting 4 races, even more amusing that Max and Pierre have completed 5 races with their current PU.. and I'd say Max has run it quite hard.

https://www.autosport.com/f1/news/13199 ... villeneuve
Here at the end of 2017 he claims Honda will "destroy Toro Rosso".

https://www.essentiallysports.com/jacqu ... -progress/
A year after claiming Honda will destroy Toro Rosso, here he claims Red Bull will be nowhere and race in the midfield signing with Honda and that Toro Rosso might have had more power in 2018 compared to 2017 but the engine "only lasts one race". Is he high when he says all this? STR had 2 direct PU related retirements in the entirety of 2018..

Capharol

GhostF1 wrote:
22 Aug 2019, 05:38

When it comes to Honda, this guy always without a doubt has a negative opinion. And it usually consists of rubbish that he cannot possibly know.. It's pretty damaging having a former F1 Champion talk so negatively, so often, for no reason with baseless nonsense. Did something happen behind closed doors with between them or is this coming from a French/ Renault thing?

Now he claims the engine only lasts 4 races so RBR are about to be in a big world of hurt... first I've heard of it lasting 4 races, even more amusing that Max and Pierre have completed 5 races with their current PU.. and I'd say Max has run it quite hard.

A year after claiming Honda will destroy Toro Rosso, here he claims Red Bull will be nowhere and race in the midfield signing with Honda and that Toro Rosso might have had more power in 2018 compared to 2017 but the engine "only lasts one race". Is he high when he says all this? STR had 2 direct PU related retirements in the entirety of 2018..
what do you expect .... its Jacques Villeneuve :lol:

@godlameroso .... i agree, what Alonso have done so far outside F1 is sitting in the best car Toyota (LMP 1) a andretti-mclaren during his 1st Indy500 (his 2nd went as expected, at least from my side)

Bill

Villeneuve may not think much of Honda but wolf and Mercedes have took notice and thinks they have to reinvent themselves to keep up . You may dismiss it as usual Toto bs Personally I think after spec4 Honda would have the undisputed no1 pu Ferrari won't match their fuel efficiency they haven't in the last four races,Mercedes won't match them for power and the ability to run higher engine modes for longer different tactics. What makes Honda different is that they are not only drawing knowledge from traditional automotive research but from theirs research institutes that deal with topics like Ai ,robotics,material science.

Marti_EF3

Bill wrote:
22 Aug 2019, 08:58
Villeneuve may not think much of Honda but wolf and Mercedes have took notice and thinks they have to reinvent themselves to keep up . You may dismiss it as usual Toto bs Personally I think after spec4 Honda would have the undisputed no1 pu Ferrari won't match their fuel efficiency they haven't in the last four races,Mercedes won't match them for power and the ability to run higher engine modes for longer different tactics. What makes Honda different is that they are not only drawing knowledge from traditional automotive research but from theirs research institutes that deal with topics like Ai ,robotics,material science.
Mercedes will still be the most efficient PU, when they need to unleash full potential, is a beast. Look what happened in Hungary.

Bill

What happened in Hungary was all tires Max was on a slower worn out hard which is a second slower than slower than soft

Alexf1

Merc finally showed their hand in the race in Hungary and look what gap RB and Merc were able to pull to the rest of the field.

HondaPOD

GhostF1 wrote:

It's Jacques Villeneuve with his legendary rancor toward Honda, nothing new. The rancor is coming from the BAR Honda years. But his changing his mind every GP. He is commenting in French Canal Plus channel, and in every occasion he is talking BS about Honda like :
- Engine will only last 1 or 2 two GP because they are pushed to the max to equal others engines, now he is saying that they will last 3 or 4 and in the coming GP he will say 4 or 5 GP.
- He say that anyone can produce an engine that last 1 or 2 GP.
- He wants to say that the Honda achievement is equal to 0

Every GP I am laughing out loud when he predict that when Mercedes and Ferrari will turn the wick RBR will fallback behind and then the RBR Honda is in the Front.

Big Tea

GhostF1 wrote:

This year at least, an engine penalty for HondaRBR is not that huge a slapdown. OK, it puts them at a disadvantage to Merc and Ferrari, but even starting down the field they will be back in the top 6 before tyre time. If they chose to start harder it would also give them the advantage of softer newer tyres later in the race. The way I see it is at best they are racing Ferrari, it is unlikely Max is going to bother Lewis this year.
When arguing with a fool, be sure the other person is not doing the same thing.

Espresso

Not really know where to quote this. But a nice interview to bridge the summer break.

Max Verstappen believes Charles Leclerc is not the only young gun he will fight in Formula 1, despite the “amazing” opportunity for the karting rivals to race each other again.

Verstappen prevailed over Leclerc in a fierce fight for victory in the Austrian Grand Prix, after which a video emerged of the duo disagreeing over a similar incident in karting seven years prior – albeit with their roles reversed.

Red Bull driver Verstappen and new-for-2019 Ferrari man Leclerc engaged in another battle at the British GP, and as both are just 21 years old and considered by many to be the future of F1.

Verstappen said he gets on “really well” with Leclerc but thinks there are others in less-prominent situations who will come to the fore in future seasons.

We race each other really hard, and of course we had our moments in karting,” Verstappen told Motorsport.com.

But I think you all grow over that, and we are both in Formula 1 now, we are both living the dream.
We are both racing where we wanted to be, and when we were in go karting that was our dream.
If you can be there together it's of course amazing, and I have a lot of respect for Charles. He is a great driver, but I'm not expecting to only fight him.
There are more young talents like Lando [Norris], potentially George [Russell], maybe Alex Albon.
A lot of young talents now are coming in and if they have the right car they can do a great job as well.

Verstappen was speaking before Toro Rosso rookie Albon was promoted to the senior Red Bull team alongside the Dutchman, in place of Pierre Gasly.

Many of the next-generation of F1 stars raced one another in karting or in various junior single-seater categories.
Russell, Norris and Albon fought for the Formula 2 title last year, while Russell and Albon were teammates with Leclerc in karting.

We all used to mess about together as youngsters,” Williams rookie Russell told Motorsport.com.

Myself, Alex and Charles were all teammates in 2011 and we used to get up to a lot of mischief.
At some races, I was teammates with Max in 2012, I’ve raced Alex for a number of years.
It’s a really weird feeling that we’ve sort come through together, and we have all made each other into better drivers.
We are always pushing each other to higher levels and I think that it was a big factor into why we’re all here and why we have the right representation.

Norris, who is starring in his rookie season with McLaren, told Motorsport.com that the closer relationship between F1’s younger drivers “makes it much better”.

It's more fun,” he said.

It's not like you're in your own world or whatever. It's more open, you can speak to people, and it just makes it more enjoyable.
Source: https://www.motorsport.com/f1/news/vers ... n/4516342/
Do you feel the need to post, comment or criticize in this forum?
Please substantiate (why, how, what) your reply!
This is no twitter or chatbox but a forum.

Stay friendly and keep away bashing, trolling & baiting from our wonderful technical forum. --> Forum Guide

Marti_EF3

Bill wrote:
22 Aug 2019, 10:23
What happened in Hungary was all tires Max was on a slower worn out hard which is a second slower than slower than soft
Even with fresh tires, I think the Merc would have been faster than the RB. We are closer, but not equal right now