2019 Aston Martin Red Bull Racing - Honda F1 Team

This forum contains threads to discuss teams themselves. Anything not technical about the cars, including restructuring, performances etc belongs here.
lio007

Re: 2019 Aston Martin Red Bull Racing - Honda F1 Team

1717 wrote:
09 Sep 2019, 20:52
https://www.nikkansports.com/sports/new ... 00993.html

According to this article, Honda TD Tanabe suspects the oil leak issue in KVY's car may have been outside of the PU.

He told the press that hydraulic pressure and combustion-related data inside the PU looked normal, and he assesses no damage with the PU.
This would be some good news if it turns out to be true.

Wouter

1717 wrote:

According to this article, Honda TD Tanabe suspects the oil leak issue in KVY's car may have been outside of the PU.

He told the press that hydraulic pressure and combustion-related data inside the PU looked normal, and he assesses no damage with the PU.
Thanks @1717 and also for the Japanese site. I didn't know this site.
The Power of Dreams!

NL_Fer

restless wrote:
09 Sep 2019, 08:07
Could the rev limiter problem be due transmission ? Gear ratios are fixed ...
Could be, looked like the rpm could not pass 12500. Although that is already pretty high.

On the other hand, it doesn’t look like a hard limiter. Maybe the ERS goes into energysave (blinking rear light) above a certain rpm, mgu-k just deativates.

Big Tea

NL_Fer wrote:
09 Sep 2019, 22:33
restless wrote:
09 Sep 2019, 08:07
Could the rev limiter problem be due transmission ? Gear ratios are fixed ...
Could be, looked like the rpm could not pass 12500. Although that is already pretty high.

On the other hand, it doesn’t look like a hard limiter. Maybe the ERS goes into energysave (blinking rear light) above a certain rpm, mgu-k just deativates.
Could it be fuel flow limit?
When arguing with a fool, be sure the other person is not doing the same thing.

Wouter

Jos Verstappen was on TV tonight.

" There was something with Max during the race that prevented him from achieving the required top speed and the expected RPM. However, that has been solved for the next race. "

Edit:
Jos Verstappen told yesterday on TV that Max can fight for the win in Singapore, USA, Brazil, Suzuka and Mexico.
He also said that there will be another engine change.
It would be strange in Abu Dhabi, so only Sochi is left.
@Wazari has always talked about a change in Sochi. So that could all be true. So lets wait and see.
The Power of Dreams!

hasika

https://sportiva.shueisha.co.jp/clm/mot ... ndex_3.php

HRD sakura boss Asaki think Honda's spec4 power unit is very close to Mercedes now.
"The combustion concept we found in last year's spec3 has evolved to this year's spec3,the spec4 is also its extension. Its not the end,there is still room for improvement.The target was to be equal to Mercedes this year. We dont have a clear image in qualifying this time so i dont know yet,but I think that the possibility is not zero with this spec 4."

Hope they can fix the rev limiter problem soon.

etusch

hasika wrote:
10 Sep 2019, 10:09
https://sportiva.shueisha.co.jp/clm/mot ... ndex_3.php

HRD sakura boss Asaki think Honda's spec4 power unit is very close to Mercedes now.
"The combustion concept we found in last year's spec3 has evolved to this year's spec3,the spec4 is also its extension. Its not the end,there is still room for improvement.The target was to be equal to Mercedes this year. We dont have a clear image in qualifying this time so i dont know yet,but I think that the possibility is not zero with this spec 4."

Hope they can fix the rev limiter problem soon.
Great news. After rumoured turbo upgrade and expected fuel upgrade maybe they will be there(merc level).
A few more for next year with 7 race reliability and a good start from Redbull can bring wdc/wcc or at least close fight for it.

loner

Wouter wrote:
09 Sep 2019, 23:30
Jos Verstappen was on TV tonight.

" There was something with Max during the race that prevented him from achieving the required top speed and the expected RPM. However, that has been solved for the next race. "

Edit:
Jos Verstappen told yesterday on TV that Max can fight for the win in Singapore, USA, Brazil, Suzuka and Mexico.
He also said that there will be another engine change.
It would be strange in Abu Dhabi, so only Sochi is left.
@Wazari has always talked about a change in Sochi. So that could all be true. So lets wait and see.
thnx i take this as Wazari Sochi revised turbo confirmation.
but i wonder why they had to introduce revised ICE separately .. perhaps to confirm its functions individually, anyway i don't think they have the luxury to do so next year, if they gonna challenge.
para bellum.

Big Tea

I notice people no longer laugh when he says "The target was to be equal to Mercedes this year" (karma? ) :twisted:
When arguing with a fool, be sure the other person is not doing the same thing.

Marti_EF3

And the revised Spec 5 or 4.x, will be a Spec 4 ICE with a new revised version of the TC+MGU-H?? Now they have a more efficient combustion process with the new ICE, makes sense. And with the new fuel... The race on Suzuka will be epic :twisted:

IvailoStefanovBG

So..Now we know that Honda is close or equal to Mercedes ( I talk for Mercedes engine because Ferrari is different story - I`m almost sure that their advantage at top speed comes just from their aero concept. And something else - all the time Honda compares their engine to Mercedes engine - not Ferrari, Why to compare with second best when they have WCC ambitions? ). Development of this year Spec 4 engine began if I remember correct at late winter of 2017 or spring of 2018. So they needed 18 months to explore and fully develop this new concept. At the other hand Mercedes started developing different combustion process around June 2019 when we heard that they started their mono cylinder. So if they keep same development rate as Honda they will reach their peak of performance for 3rd engine in 2020. For me this means Honda are almost a year ahead from Mercedes in developing new combustion concept? Or I`m missing something?
P.S - For me Honda reliability is the best thing they have done this year. I was a little disappointed when Kvyat`s engine blown but now they say the engine is ok and failure is somewhere outside - We saw 3-4 Mercedes engine failures, 2-3 Ferrari but none Honda. I can just say - WOW!.

Datco

1717 wrote:

So where could the leak be, oil coolers?

Marti_EF3

The oil coolers are vulnerable to debris on the sidepods, or are on other place?
Or maybe cracked with some bump?

JordanMugen

hasika wrote:
It is good, but still a funny target when Mercedes is not the best power unit anymore. :?:

Jolle

JordanMugen wrote:
10 Sep 2019, 21:33
hasika wrote:
It is good, but still a funny target when Mercedes is not the best power unit anymore. :?:
Difficult to judge when Mercedes runs more downforce (which probably means more drag) then Ferrari. I presume they are quite equal