2019 Aston Martin Red Bull Racing - Honda F1 Team

This forum contains threads to discuss teams themselves. Anything not technical about the cars, including restructuring, performances etc belongs here.
_cerber1

Re: 2019 Aston Martin Red Bull Racing - Honda F1 Team

loner wrote:
04 Oct 2019, 13:17
thnx for the link
after reading it and how Max was very competitive in fp2 i got the feeling they hinted that Honda dialed back the power in Saturday due to problems which i assume the new fuel that will manage the knock effect and lead to sizable jump in power,we shall know next Saturday and Sunday.
Max was fast in FP2 because he had a completely new engine from Honda, and everyone else used the old Friday ones, with a power limit.

HPD

Red Bull suffered defeats in Singapore and Russia. The races revealed: The RB15 is a difficult to drive car.

Places four and five were in Sochi mitigation. "We were not fast enough on either the soft or the medium tire to take on Ferrari and Mercedes," Verstappen summed up. This time, Mad Max did not plow his way through the field as fast as 2018. He had already steered his Red Bull past all midfield cars after eight laps.

Max had to solve it on the brakes, "explained team boss Christian Horner.

Albon with higher top speed
The teammate had him. Albon sat at 340.4 km / h in the fastest car on the home straight. Verstappen scored only 327.7 km / h.
Which suggests that Red Bull had not only installed new drive components in the car with the start number 23 before the race, but also changed the vote. Albon overtook eight cars: two times Sergio Perez, Daniil Kvyat, Pierre Gasly, Lance Stroll, Lando Norris, Kevin Magnussen and Carlos Sainz.

The time on Ferrari Red Bull loses especially on the straights. "Ferrari is the benchmark there. We lose eight-tenths, "predicts team boss Christian Horner. "The power advantage Ferrari plays to other trumps. You can tune your car more for the bends, for example, drive more wings. "

Mercedes is better in the corners. A good comparison in Sochi was the last sector with its six corners - five of them at an angle of 90 degrees. From Saturday, the silver cars were ahead. The wind stopped Red Bull's wings. "He hurts us more. The car was driven into oversteer, "complained Verstappen.

The oncoming wind exposed Red Bull's vulnerability. The RB15 is a fast racing car, if all parameters are right. If a piece of the puzzle slips, the car no longer sticks to the floor but becomes nervous. The unrest in the car drives the drivers out of their comfort zone. There is only one who can run over the problems. That's Max Verstappen.

New fuel for the Honda home game
The race weekends in Singapore and Russia show that the Red Bull has too small a voting window. The aerodynamic concept only works if the front wing is crouched close to the asphalt. In Singapore, Red Bull had to increase ground clearance for the bumps and curbs. Already lacked the contact pressure. Changes in conditions throw Red Bull faster from the comfort zone than for example Mercedes keyword wind.

The upgrades since the summer break do not seem to have set the RB15 wide-legged. Ferrari has developed better there. Even the engineers admit: "We have to analyze whether we have taken a step backwards." Also in the last five races of the season Red Bull wants to bring new parts. "Here's something small, something small," says Horner. "What we learn in 2019 in understanding the car, we can transfer to 2020."

The GP Japan will also be for Red Bull for the exam. Secretly, Red Bull and Honda even dream of victory. "I expect Mercedes in the first sector with the S-curves strong. Ferrari should fly in the last part with the straights, "says Verstappen.

The biggest development comes on the engine side. The Honda engine will run on a new gasoline. Only then is Honda's Spec-4 complete. The engine is to saddle up with the new fuel a few horsepower. To get to Ferrari level, the team is like Mercedes: you have to decipher the mystery of the red powertrain. Honda gives it 200 percent.

It is said that no engine manufacturer invest more money than the Japanese.
https://www.auto-motor-und-sport.de/for ... -probleme/

Wouter

_cerber1 wrote:
04 Oct 2019, 14:02
loner wrote:
thnx for the link
after reading it and how Max was very competitive in fp2 i got the feeling they hinted that Honda dialed back the power in Saturday due to problems which i assume the new fuel that will manage the knock effect and lead to sizable jump in power,we shall know next Saturday and Sunday.
Max was fast in FP2 because he had a completely new engine from Honda, and everyone else used the old Friday ones, with a power limit.
I believe you, but how do you know that?
The Power of Dreams!

Sieper

@ TNT, For me Stroll has not proven that he is actually that good in the wet. In Germany this year he was hopelessly behind (and we could not compare him to his teammate as Perez (truly stupidly) crashed out very early on) so the late race "early" gamble paid of (just like for Kvyat, who gambled earlier then Albon who had been doing much better in the wet but as a consequence had more to loose so did not gamble as early). The Stroll qualy result in Monza 17 was in an at that moment still pretty fast car (in Monza the Williams of 2017 was still a force) and Monza is a triangle (more or less) so comparatively less steering skill required. But OK, Stroll is not bad in the rain, I have this theory/what I actually do see with Stroll is that he sometimes even is oblivious of danger / the situation he is in. Not a merit. But it might help him in the rain, not being "too" afraid as he simply is not capable to sense the grip level and simply thinks he is still OK (and is).

_cerber1

Wouter wrote:
04 Oct 2019, 14:22
Because, this is a common practice, the new engine specification is put on the whole weekend so that you can check its characteristics and reliability.

Wouter

_cerber1 wrote:
04 Oct 2019, 15:04
Wouter wrote:
04 Oct 2019, 14:22
Because, this is a common practice, the new engine specification is put on the whole weekend so that you can check its characteristics and reliability.
I thought that you with "everyone else" meant Gasly, Albon and Kvyat, but you meant the other teams, sorry.

.....and everyone else used the old Friday ones, with a power limit.
The Power of Dreams!

godlameroso

How much does top speed matter in Suzuka vs downforce? You only need downforce in a specific speed range, and having too much downforce makes you slow on the straights. At which point does piling on downforce give negative returns? Too much wing and you'll be quick in sector 1 and spoon curves, but that's what .3 gained in the turns vs .5 lost on the straights.

The only slow corners are the hairpin and the chicane at the end, exit traction is important there, but aero efficiency is what matters over the rest of the lap. Having enough downforce to not lose too much time in the first sector and spoon curves, but not so much that you handicap yourself down the main and back straights.

The biggest gains from downforce come from turn 2, and Dunlop curve, but skill and confidence in the car also plays a big role here. The two Degners are challenging but having very high downforce won't make much difference because the first part is almost flat for everyone, and you have to immediately slow down for part 2. Riding the kerbs well matters more here.

Still think it's Mickey Mouse to only have the one DRS zone, when they've put a DRS zone through turn 1 in Silverstone. That corner has similar radius to 130R.
Saishū kōnā

velizare

loner wrote:
HPD wrote:
03 Oct 2019, 16:15
It seems that Mercedes is assuring Lando Norris for the future (if the rumor is true).
With Charles Leclerc at Ferrari, it seems that Max has no choice but to continue on the RB Honda project.
This is good, we need stability with the pilots.
isn't G.Russell their hot prospect?!!
why not secure an access to both of them?

Juzh

godlameroso wrote:
04 Oct 2019, 16:30
How much does top speed matter in Suzuka vs downforce? You only need downforce in a specific speed range, and having too much downforce makes you slow on the straights. At which point does piling on downforce give negative returns? Too much wing and you'll be quick in sector 1 and spoon curves, but that's what .3 gained in the turns vs .5 lost on the straights.

The only slow corners are the hairpin and the chicane at the end, exit traction is important there, but aero efficiency is what matters over the rest of the lap. Having enough downforce to not lose too much time in the first sector and spoon curves, but not so much that you handicap yourself down the main and back straights.

The biggest gains from downforce come from turn 2, and Dunlop curve, but skill and confidence in the car also plays a big role here. The two Degners are challenging but having very high downforce won't make much difference because the first part is almost flat for everyone, and you have to immediately slow down for part 2. Riding the kerbs well matters more here.

Still think it's Mickey Mouse to only have the one DRS zone, when they've put a DRS zone through turn 1 in Silverstone. That corner has similar radius to 130R.
This track is like silverstone, but even more power sensitive. Last year with renault power red bull was losing more than 1 second on the 3 main straights in quali, maybe more. I'm saying maybe, because we don't actually have red bull's onboard, but we do have alonso's and he was actually losing around 1.2s in a mclaren. That's only from the 3 main straights.

Even though there's only 1 chickane lets not forget how ridicioulsly overpowered mercedes was last year trough 3d sector.

godlameroso

I agree, I wonder how the tires will affect things. One thing that has benefitted Ferrari are tires that have been on the softer side of the range, in addition to Pirelli allowing lower tire pressures. This has narrowed the chassis performance gap, which means other gaps like one in power will become more apparent. On the plus side, if Honda's engine works well with the new fuel we can expect a few tenths of extra performance. With the average gap being around .3-.4 to Mercedes, if the new power unit works as expected, that gap could become .1-.2 at most, with a slight advantage going to RBR on some tracks. That would mean parity and a chance to win at the rest of the season's races. Honestly if the last few races have razor thin margins between all 3 teams, and we get the same next year, I would seriously reconsider making huge changes for 2021.
Saishū kōnā

diffuser

Big Tea wrote:
30 Sep 2019, 22:57

I sometimes think the same. The closest he was to a F1 champion was punting one off the track. Max is already far better than he ever dreamed of being, give him some support not down him all the time.

That's a classless shot. Don't like what he has to say so you take a dig at his driving ability? :shock:

Big Tea

diffuser wrote:
04 Oct 2019, 22:14
Big Tea wrote:

I sometimes think the same. The closest he was to a F1 champion was punting one off the track. Max is already far better than he ever dreamed of being, give him some support not down him all the time.

That's a classless shot. Don't like what he has to say so you take a dig at his driving ability? :shock:
He was never even mid field but he rips into Max ? Don't do what I did do what I tell you you should
When arguing with a fool, be sure the other person is not doing the same thing.

diffuser

Big Tea wrote:
04 Oct 2019, 22:20
diffuser wrote:
04 Oct 2019, 22:14
Big Tea wrote:

He was never even mid field but he rips into Max ? Don't do what I did do what I tell you you should
I didn't see that in that article, him ripping Max. Even if he's did he has earned that right.

He was critical of the car's lack of improvement since the summer break.