2019 Aston Martin Red Bull Racing - Honda F1 Team

This forum contains threads to discuss teams themselves. Anything not technical about the cars, including restructuring, performances etc belongs here.
Bill

Re: 2019 Aston Martin Red Bull Racing - Honda F1 Team

The difference between upgrades that works and a lemon,but we don't know about engine modes Ferrari usually runs conservative on practice

GhostF1

langedweil wrote:
11 Oct 2019, 04:33
Hmm, so far it doesn't look extra-special with just P5/P6. Mercs had a faster lap on the Mediums (compared to RB ln Soft), Long runs significantly slower.
So far no fairytale sparks ...
I have no idea what is going on. RBR and Ferrari are now level-pegging but Mercedes are a second ahead? The only explanation is different programs between the teams due to the scattered weekend schedule.

McMika98

godlameroso wrote:
11 Oct 2019, 02:35
How much can the shift in performance be in regards to out of sync upgrades? It's obvious that Honda introduced it's final spec quite a few race after Mercedes and Ferrari. They also had time to validate all of the reliability with various teams before the main teams used them in anger. They did this without a grid penalty, now Honda will take their step forward and be in sync with the others in terms of upgrades.
Yes, Honda and RedBull are just sandbagging massively. Max only 6 tenths ahead of Sainz on Mclaren and seconds slower than Robotas. Oh yes Honda have a party mode as well.

Marti_EF3

Well, FP2 has clarified some things. At least they are close enough to the top

godlameroso

Verstappen is losing out in sector 2. That's the two degners, hairpin and spoon up to right before 130r
Saishū kōnā

GhostF1

godlameroso wrote:
11 Oct 2019, 08:16
Verstappen is losing out in sector 2. That's the two degners, hairpin and spoon up to right before 130r
Certainly interesting. Max is near as makes no difference 1sec up on last years time. And in the PU centric sectors, we are losing no ground to either Merc or Ferrari. We'll see how the rest of session ends up but the engine step is shining pretty well at the moment.

SmallSoldier

GhostF1 wrote:
godlameroso wrote:
Certainly interesting. Max is near as makes no difference 1sec up on last years time. And in the PU centric sectors, we are losing no ground to either Merc or Ferrari. We'll see how the rest of session ends up but the engine step is shining pretty well at the moment.
Hard to measure how the PU’s measure up since we don’t know which spec each team run... If Mercedes or Ferrari are running “Friday engines”, not only are they not in their latest spec, most probably they can’t use their highest power modes due to the mileage on those units.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

lio007

Any problems for Max in FP2, because 10 laps less than Alex?

Juzh

lio007 wrote:
11 Oct 2019, 08:50
Any problems for Max in FP2, because 10 laps less than Alex?
he sat in a garage for 40 minutes for whatever reason

loner

SmallSoldier wrote:
11 Oct 2019, 08:43
GhostF1 wrote:
godlameroso wrote:
Hard to measure how the PU’s measure up since we don’t know which spec each team run... If Mercedes or Ferrari are running “Friday engines”, not only are they not in their latest spec, most probably they can’t use their highest power modes due to the mileage on those units.

but would they do that while no running at Saturday and fp2 times could be the grid for the race?!!
para bellum.

Juzh

diffuser wrote:
10 Oct 2019, 23:52
I beleive the lack of patience with RBR/Honda stems from a misconception that RBR racing was only missing a good relieable PU to push them over the top. This year, not unlike McLaren's 1st year with Renault, they've learned that they're lacking in other places as well.
That's simply not the case. Last's year RB was without a shaddow of doubt the best car on the grid chassis wise in later stages, but could not compete on most tracks because renault PU was 1s behind merc and even more to ferrari.

This year situation is different. Merc and ferrari have both came up with fundamentally better cars and neutered RB's advantage in this area. Had red bull not gotten a much more competitive engine in honda this year they would be absolutely nowhere, possibly even seconds adrift.

Wouter

SmallSoldier wrote:

It seems to me that everyone has used the racing engine. If the qualification is canceled,
counts the result of VT2. Hopefully nobody used the Friday engine and then it looks pretty good,
but Mercedes has again brought a considerable upgrade. :(
The Power of Dreams!

search

loner wrote:
11 Oct 2019, 08:58
SmallSoldier wrote:
GhostF1 wrote:

but would they do that while no running at Saturday and fp2 times could be the grid for the race?!!
the announcement about FP2 times potentially counting for the starting grid was made after FP1, so too late to swap engines (and the chance for no qualifying on Sunday is minimal anyway). So I'd say yes, with high likeliness Ferrari and Mercedes were running old engines

Ground Effect

GhostF1 wrote:
11 Oct 2019, 04:48
langedweil wrote:
11 Oct 2019, 04:33
Hmm, so far it doesn't look extra-special with just P5/P6. Mercs had a faster lap on the Mediums (compared to RB ln Soft), Long runs significantly slower.
So far no fairytale sparks ...
I have no idea what is going on. RBR and Ferrari are now level-pegging but Mercedes are a second ahead? The only explanation is different programs between the teams due to the scattered weekend schedule.
You make good point there, could very well be the case.
Q: (Stefano Mancini – La Stampa) Kimi, will you help Vettel to win his championship this year?
Kimi Raikkonen: I can only drive one car, obviously. 
@2018 Singapore Grand Prix drivers press conference.

Ground Effect

Juzh wrote:
11 Oct 2019, 09:02
diffuser wrote:
10 Oct 2019, 23:52
I beleive the lack of patience with RBR/Honda stems from a misconception that RBR racing was only missing a good relieable PU to push them over the top. This year, not unlike McLaren's 1st year with Renault, they've learned that they're lacking in other places as well.
That's simply not the case. Last's year RB was without a shaddow of doubt the best car on the grid chassis wise in later stages, but could not compete on most tracks because renault PU was 1s behind merc and even more to ferrari.

This year situation is different. Merc and ferrari have both came up with fundamentally better cars and neutered RB's advantage in this area. Had red bull not gotten a much more competitive engine in honda this year they would be absolutely nowhere, possibly even seconds adrift.
I think it's a case of cause and effect. Red Bull consistently end the year with probably the best car, which could be because they develop further into the season, to be able to pick up wins here and there. By this time, Mercedes and Ferrari have probably switched to their next years car, addressing rule changes. This usually leads to Red Bull being slow out of the box because they switch full focus late, then they are playing catch up. Next year the rules are stable, so Mercedes and Ferrari have the luxury of developing further into the season than usual. We can see the effect.
Q: (Stefano Mancini – La Stampa) Kimi, will you help Vettel to win his championship this year?
Kimi Raikkonen: I can only drive one car, obviously. 
@2018 Singapore Grand Prix drivers press conference.