2019 Aston Martin Red Bull Racing - Honda F1 Team

This forum contains threads to discuss teams themselves. Anything not technical about the cars, including restructuring, performances etc belongs here.
Marti_EF3

Re: 2019 Aston Martin Red Bull Racing - Honda F1 Team

RBR ended the season like the 2nd best car imho. But, work to do to catch Mercedes still. Maybe the PU are more or less equal, but Merc have a clear advantage with the chasis. Hopefully next year will be closer.

Pre-season tests can't come soon enough to be there!! :twisted:

Capharol
Capharol

Marti_EF3 wrote:
01 Dec 2019, 18:14
RBR ended the season like the 2nd best car imho. But, work to do to catch Mercedes still. Maybe the PU are more or less equal, but Merc have a clear advantage with the chasis. Hopefully next year will be closer.

Pre-season tests can't come soon enough to be there!! :twisted:
IMO to catch the mercs you need to start with the rake or build a car that can compete on 90% of the tracks without losing their philosophy

Pyrone89

The team really needs to make a massive leap if they want to really challenge in 2020. They cannot keep counting on VER doing Alonso 2012 style magic
True GOATs don’t need the help of superior material to win.

Tom Brady, Usain Bolt are true GOATs.

Bill
Bill

Redbull needs to improve but the planets too often align in Mercedes favor.tire regulations and aerodynamic changes.

izzy
izzy

Capharol wrote:
01 Dec 2019, 18:29
IMO to catch the mercs you need to start with the rake or build a car that can compete on 90% of the tracks without losing their philosophy
probably the most interesting single thing to look forward to next year is Red Bull/Max vs Mercedes/Lewis isn't it? Red Bull are great operationally, unlike Ferrari who do great engineering but not always the rest of it. Honda have caught up, Red Bull won't get caught out by the tyres again, Max will be growing up, while Lewis should in theory be at least plateauing

Big Tea

Next year RBR know they can depend on Honda delivering. This years car was probably a 'safe option' rather than leading edge.
When arguing with a fool, be sure the other person is not doing the same thing.

Karim28
Karim28

Now the situation just like the start of 2018, it's all depending on what the engine supplier could deliver next season.
Honda should overcome the talks of equaling Mercedes, we all know that Mercedes' reliability is much better than Honda this season. So Honda will be asked for more performance and more reliability, it's the time for them to finish a season without any penalty in normal conditions.
Very eager to see what the team could do without Adrian (I think that was his last year with RBR as I could remember. If it isn't, I hope anybody correct this for me).

TNTHead

I heard on Dutch television that for the next tyre test you need to use the car with exact spec of the race in Abu Dhabi. And it is said that RB has installed several thermographic cameras aimed at the tyres so they can accumulate much more data on the tyres (which Merc was doing last year?). As I see it, one of the most differentiating performance indicators is if you can hit the right spot with setup and get the tyres in their optimal thermal operation window. PU is one thing, suspenstion/downforce setup is another thing where the Mercs were clearly ahead this year. Hopefully RB can at least be closer with that also next year.

Capharol
Capharol

Karim28 wrote:
01 Dec 2019, 21:01
we all know that Mercedes' reliability is much better than Honda this season. So Honda will be asked for more performance and more reliability, it's the time for them to finish a season without any penalty in normal conditions.
I don't know how often it has been said in this topic
1) Red Bull considered this year as a transition year
2) it was already clear for Red Bull that they would take penalties during the season to give Honda the opportunity to get close or on par with Mercedes
3) Honda has always said they first focus on reliabillty and then on the power, that's why Honda never gave full power of the engine free until Austria, because they were marked by the McLaren desaster

so to conclude : all the engine swaps were planned, and had nothing to do with inreliaballity of the PU.... to clearify it completly i marked the the most important point on why they changed the engine.
izzy wrote:
01 Dec 2019, 19:12
probably the most interesting single thing to look forward to next year is Red Bull/Max vs Mercedes/Lewis isn't it? Red Bull are great operationally, unlike Ferrari who do great engineering but not always the rest of it. Honda have caught up, Red Bull won't get caught out by the tyres again, Max will be growing up, while Lewis should in theory be at least plateauing
agree

Capharol
Capharol

Max hears and sees everything, even that the 2 Ferraris made their 2nd stop

Capharol
Capharol

Capharol
Capharol

and Verstappen explains his "problem" which he talked about over the radio
"I just had some problems with 'torque holes' when going on gas. There were delays and the like when going on gas," said Verstappen after the race. "That wasn't great and we couldn't fix it, so we had to drive around the problem." And then to add: "But in the end it would have made no difference to the result." Asked what exactly a 'torque hole' is and whether it can be compared to a 'misfire', or an ignition fault: "No, when I went on the gas, it did not do what I wanted. And it took me time But as I said: without this problem I would not have won the race. "

Karim28
Karim28

Capharol wrote:
01 Dec 2019, 21:37

2) it was already clear for Red Bull that they would take penalties during the season to give Honda the opportunity to get close or on par with Mercedes
3) Honda has always said they first focus on reliabillty and then on the power, that's why Honda never gave full power of the engine free until Austria, because they were marked by the McLaren desaster

so to conclude : all the engine swaps were planned, and had nothing to do with inreliaballity of the PU.... to clearify it completly i marked the the most important point on why they changed the engine.
izzy wrote:
agree
I agree with you. But I wad talking about next year. The engine should be able to fibish 6 or 7 races unlike this year.

Capharol
Capharol

Karim28 wrote:
01 Dec 2019, 21:52
Capharol wrote:
01 Dec 2019, 21:37

izzy wrote:
agree
I agree with you. But I wad talking about next year. The engine should be able to fibish 6 or 7 races unlike this year.
they will be able to .... i have faith in that

izzy
izzy

Capharol wrote:
01 Dec 2019, 22:51
Karim28 wrote:
01 Dec 2019, 21:52
they will be able to .... i have faith in that
the Milton Keynes facility has a dyno that can take the gearbox too. ... In fact even last year it had "most of a car" and environmental controls, and i can't help wondering if it's connected to the RBR simulator. I bet it'll be working flat out now