2019 Aston Martin Red Bull Racing - Honda F1 Team

This forum contains threads to discuss teams themselves. Anything not technical about the cars, including restructuring, performances etc belongs here.
Wouter

Re: 2019 Aston Martin Red Bull Racing - Honda F1 Team

Here some information about the cars.

For example, RBR has the shortest wheelbase and Mercedes the longest.
AMuS provides a clear table and detailed description.

https://www.auto-motor-und-sport.de/for ... utos-2019/
The Power of Dreams!

ispano6

JordanMugen wrote:
23 Mar 2019, 11:21
SmallSoldier wrote:
22 Mar 2019, 19:55
The 40 Million Cash was used by Mclaren to Pay Alonso’s salary.
If true, Honda got ripped off badly by McLaren by not getting name rights sponsorship for that 40 million sponsorship contribution. #-o :o
McLaren had to sell out to Latifi to payback Honda. The real losers are McLaren. The real winners are Honda fans.

https://www.racefans.net/2018/09/06/mcl ... -f1-split/

Jaisonas

Notice how the sound changes when Verstappen presses the overtake button at 17:06 and then at 17:16, the wastegates open and the engine is louder :)

Marti_EF3

Wouter wrote:
23 Mar 2019, 13:23

Curious that STR went the opposite way...

Capharol

Marti_EF3 wrote:
23 Mar 2019, 18:31
Wouter wrote:
23 Mar 2019, 13:23

https://i.ibb.co/SfN5PPz/20190323-172622.jpg

Curious that STR went the opposite way...
no it isn't because TR already was commited to the longer wheelbase early in the season, at least that was what i have read somewhere

translated from AMuS
That Red Bull and Toro Rosso and Ferrari and Haas have different wheelbase surprised a bit. Do not these teams work hand in hand with the design of the cars? Haas, for example, takes over Ferrari's suspensions 1: 1. "Nevertheless, our car can be longer or shorter because we have to build our own chassis. The height of the drivers can also make a difference in the chassis length, "explains Haas Operations Manager Ayo Komatsu.

At Red Bull there is a second explanation for the differences in the cars of the A- and B-Team. "We did not make the decision to increase synergy until after the summer. Since parts of the Toro Rosso were already developed, "explains sporting director Helmut Marko. The chassis is one of those parts that engineers have to commit early because of the long lead time.

Alexf1

Looking at the 2018->2019 qualifying gains I'm amazed how Red Bull hasn't made up any ground in laptime compared to Ferrari and Mercedes even though they are raving about chassis and especially engine. Even more when I look at the bigger gains most of the mid field cars have made. All Honda cars top speeds seem ok so looks like the RB15 chassis is not delivering (yet). Did anyone from Red Bull comment on this other than the sudden 'we need bigger wings' remark from Marko? Found that a bit silly coming from the man who continuously said Honda had delivered exacly as promised so whats the surprise?

ispano6

Alexf1 wrote:
24 Mar 2019, 17:33
Looking at the 2018->2019 qualifying gains I'm amazed how Red Bull hasn't made up any ground in laptime compared to Ferrari and Mercedes even though they are raving about chassis and especially engine. Even more when I look at the bigger gains most of the mid field cars have made. All Honda cars top speeds seem ok so looks like the RB15 chassis is not delivering (yet). Did anyone from Red Bull comment on this other than the sudden 'we need bigger wings' remark from Marko? Found that a bit silly coming from the man who continuously said Honda had delivered exacly as promised so whats the surprise?
Surprise is that Honda made a bigger step than RB thought. Maybe they were led to believe that such a step wasn't possible based on past experience with Renault?
That Honda topped the speed charts means RB can afford to add downforce, and it seems Newey had the right base concept to which DF can be added. MB runs larger wings than RB and RB and MB allows for large front wings. To me the biggest surprise is Ferrari and Alfa and the now apparent limitation their aero philosophy apparently has. So Marko's comment isn't so silly because then RB doesn't have to add as much bargeboards and vanes. It's also easier to make the front wing larger than to increase wheelbase and reduce rake during the season. Those would have to be for 2020 season. This is what I understood from reading the article by the secret aerodynamicist. Did you read it?
Last edited by ispano6 on 24 Mar 2019, 18:51, edited 1 time in total.

nzjrs

Alexf1 wrote:
I've found RB to be rather reticent on their chassis performance *this year*. I thought the most positive thing they said after testing was "We could make up the 0.2s" they thought they were trailing the front two.

Perhaps they also were not 100% happy even at the start of winter testing

Ground Effect

Alexf1 wrote:
It looks like their chassis isn't quite there yet, or they were a bit cautious over what Honda promised and we're, as it appears to have turned out, unnecessarily conservative.
Q: (Stefano Mancini – La Stampa) Kimi, will you help Vettel to win his championship this year?
Kimi Raikkonen: I can only drive one car, obviously. 
@2018 Singapore Grand Prix drivers press conference.

Wouter

Ground Effect wrote:
24 Mar 2019, 18:57
Alexf1 wrote:
It looks like their chassis isn't quite there yet, or they were a bit cautious over what Honda promised and we're, as it appears to have turned out, unnecessarily conservative.
With the Renault engine they were allowed to use a little more power every race, little by little.
They never expected that they could immediately use a lot of power with the Honda engine, so not every race a little bit more.
As a result, they had too little downforce on the car. That's my idea, but I can be wrong.
The Power of Dreams!

SmallSoldier

Ground Effect wrote:
Alexf1 wrote:
So far we only have one piece of data... Bahrain should give more light in regards to how teams are performing... Speculating before that probably isn’t useful.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Alexf1

ispano6 wrote:
24 Mar 2019, 18:44
Alexf1 wrote:
Surprise is that Honda made a bigger step than RB thought. Maybe they were led to believe that such a step wasn't possible based on past experience with Renault?
That Honda topped the speed charts means RB can afford to add downforce, and it seems Newey had the right base concept to which DF can be added. MB runs larger wings than RB and RB and MB allows for large front wings. To me the biggest surprise is Ferrari and Alfa and the now apparent limitation their aero philosophy apparently has. So Marko's comment isn't so silly because then RB doesn't have to add as much bargeboards and vanes. It's also easier to make the front wing larger than to increase wheelbase and reduce rake during the season. Those would have to be for 2020 season. This is what I understood from reading the article by the secret aerodynamicist. Did you read it?
Thanks. Yes I read it. Very nice piece. But in the end Fer and Merc gained as much or more time compared to 2018 as RB without as much engine gain as RB so seems like much of RB time gain comes from engine while at Fer and Merc its the other way around. So finally RB has big power from an supplier they know since Sep '17 and they're not prepared for that March '19?

ME4ME

Alexf1 wrote:
24 Mar 2019, 20:46
So finally RB has big power from an supplier they know since Sep '17 and they're not prepared for that March '19?
I think that is exactly what happened. Big aero overhaul and two unnecessarily crashes so they went to Australia on the back foot. Red Bull being Red Bull, they'll probably sort themselves out before too long.

Alexf1

Hope so. Because if they would have had the extra DF in Melbourne at the expense of top speed they would maybe have been a tenth or 2 faster in laptime, never believe they would have been on par with Merc in quali. So my thought is they either have a bad or unstable chassis at the moment or they deliberately did not invest in heavy Melbourne DF levels as they are not necessary for the coming GPs.

Capharol

Alexf1 wrote:
24 Mar 2019, 23:01
Hope so. Because if they would have had the extra DF in Melbourne at the expense of top speed they would maybe have been a tenth or 2 faster in laptime, never believe they would have been on par with Merc in quali. So my thought is they either have a bad or unstable chassis at the moment or they deliberately did not invest in heavy Melbourne DF levels as they are not necessary for the coming GPs.
this sentence made me think….
Albert Park is a unique circuit, no measurment possible on how the season really can/will go, and they maybe knew they had enough time on there hands to be the 3rd team on the grid at the AusGP and maybe even thought 5th might be the highest they can do..... so why running high DF when it doesn't really pay off anyway..... "just lets forget about AusGP, focus on the "normal" circuits" could be the thought …. and suddenly the finished 3rd with 1 car

this might be a controverse thinking, but who really knows how RB is thinking