2019 Mercedes AMG Petronas Formula One Team

This forum contains threads to discuss teams themselves. Anything not technical about the cars, including restructuring, performances etc belongs here.
Just_a_fan

Re: 2019 Mercedes AMG Petronas Formula One Team

izzy wrote:
21 Dec 2019, 18:21
by a mile the most interesting person in F1. weird, but interesting

thanks for posting these
Don't know about weird but certainly a bit hippy-ish with some of the stuff he says. But an interesting look in to his mindset. The guy is totally driven to be the absolute best at whatever he does. If you aren't that driven too then good luck competing with him.

I bet he's a nightmare to live with... :lol:
If you are more fortunate than others, build a larger table not a taller fence.

izzy

Just_a_fan wrote:
23 Dec 2019, 20:27
Don't know about weird but certainly a bit hippy-ish with some of the stuff he says. But an interesting look in to his mindset. The guy is totally driven to be the absolute best at whatever he does. If you aren't that driven too then good luck competing with him.

I bet he's a nightmare to live with... :lol:
yes i don't know, there are so many contradictions! i couldn't live with him as i can't stand religion, i don't really like tatoos, and he'd have to do something with that hair :lol: . But he is sensitive isn't he, empathetic and thoughtful, and yes as you say he really wants to be the best, but in such a genuine, sporting way, and without being pretentious. A kind person, generous, but a ferocious competitor. He doesn't want just to win, it is being the best. And his whole life is so much an exploration, always doing something new, finding out what might be possible. It's being so interesting that's the challenge for Max and Charles imo, to take over when he retires

and in amongst it all, team principals AND drivers voted him the best F1 driver this year =D> :D . And part of that is he's ALWAYS learning as much as he can, all the time, at every level from the meaning of life down

Wass85

https://www.motorsport.com/f1/news/bott ... y/4616343/

Bottas states the engineer swaps were a benefit for both drivers. Hamilton on the other hand doesn't seem to like the idea as much as the Finn.

Sharing info between teammates is part and parcel of being a driver and helps the team massively IMO.

Just_a_fan

They gave Hamilton's performance engineer to Bottas. Bottas started the season strongly on the back of that which made it harder for Hamilton. Of course Hamilton wasn't as keen as Bottas was. Even with the added handicap, Hamilton still beat your boy to the title.

Jolle

They just didn’t blindly swap engineers or something, a position came free and one of Lewis his engineers was promoted to race engineer. Cleaver move and the right way to keep a team fresh and eager.

Capharol

Mercedes doesn't allow the airing of their German GP 2019 in the serie "Drive to Survive"..... as excuse "the illness of Lewis during this weekend".....

not sure if true
https://twitter.com/MsportXtra/status/1 ... 5819761665

Wass85

Jolle wrote:
24 Dec 2019, 21:27
They just didn’t blindly swap engineers or something, a position came free and one of Lewis his engineers was promoted to race engineer. Cleaver move and the right way to keep a team fresh and eager.
Thanks, Just a fan makes out as though all the team was trying to do was benefit Bottas.

These sort of things happened when Nico was in the team, it brings new ideas to the fore and helps prevent a split in the team.

Morteza

"A fool thinks himself to be wise, but a wise man knows himself to be a fool."~William Shakespeare

Morteza

"A fool thinks himself to be wise, but a wise man knows himself to be a fool."~William Shakespeare

De Jokke

Merc and Wolff will stay probably 8) :

http://www.gptoday.com/full_story/view/ ... la_1_stay/
Mercedes AMG + Hamilton => dreamteam!
If you can't beat'em, call Masi!

Manoah2u

It's been said before, but this video further confirms Lewis has a lot of similar elements to him that Senna also possessed, and even though Hamilton does care for environment and stuff like that, i think one of the biggest personality differences is that Senna had a much more 'religeous' and 'humanitarian' core to his personality.
Apart from the fact they're 2 different individuals, offcourse.

I also feel Hamilton is more of a 'Rock Star' type of person when Senna aired more of a 'humble' personality.

But that said, Hamilton to me ventilates a lot on how Senna would have 'fared' had it not been for his tragic accident,
and being in a much safer sport, which undoubtedly shapes a person very profoundly.

I'm without doubt that if Hamilton would have been a key figure in saving a fellow driver's life (Erik Comas), and driving clear deathtraps, he would be different too, so it's really hard to compare people since their generations and circumstances differ so much.

But Hamilton's clear and profound love for the sport and his intentions to be involved to change it for the better and making it also perhaps a fairer sport is very much what Senna actively did already during his f1 racing career.

Would Senna have become a F1 team principal (perhaps even his own team) or a figure like Jean Todt in the FIA now, or perhaps involved in like Liberty Media? I highly doubt that though, i think he would have become an (important) political figure in Brazilian politics, perhaps even as far as becoming president.

The Brazilian people absolutely adored Senna.

Which surprises me if you look at the British people in general ignoring Hamilton, as it atleast seems to me.

I don't get the general idea that Hamilton is so important to the British people like either Senna was to Brazil, Schumacher to Germany, Verstappen to the Netherlands, perhaps even Alonso to the Spanierds.
I'm surprised particularly because it's not like British people aren't 'like that', look at how they look at football,
and their clear love for motorsport. Or perhaps i have simply been at the wrong moments at the wrong places,
but i can't remember Hamilton's success being so 'celebrated'?
"Explain the ending to F1 in football terms"
"Hamilton was beating Verstappen 7-0, then the ref decided F%$& rules, next goal wins
while also sending off 4 Hamilton players to make it more interesting"

Just_a_fan

Manoah2u wrote:
23 Jan 2020, 01:54

Which surprises me if you look at the British people in general ignoring Hamilton, as it atleast seems to me.

I don't get the general idea that Hamilton is so important to the British people like either Senna was to Brazil, Schumacher to Germany, Verstappen to the Netherlands, perhaps even Alonso to the Spanierds.
I'm surprised particularly because it's not like British people aren't 'like that', look at how they look at football,
and their clear love for motorsport. Or perhaps i have simply been at the wrong moments at the wrong places,
but i can't remember Hamilton's success being so 'celebrated'?
The reason is quite clear to me. It's why Button (the smiling, cheerful, lovable white guy) is more fondly regarded than Hamilton (the intense, sometimes aloof, black guy). Brits don't generally like people who are "too big for their boots". Many would consider Hamilton to fit that last description in his early days and, having decided they didn't like the man, would never become fans later (because that would mean admitting they were wrong). Of course, Hamilton proved himself but that doesn't matter now.

I'll be very surprised if Hamilton gets another "honour" to go with his MBE. Jackie Stewart was knighted. Heck, Andy Murray was knighted because he won Wimbledon and an Olympic gold. Murray also got an OBE before that - the OBE is above the MBE, by the way. I doubt even if Hamilton wins 9 world titles and 100 races will he get knighted. He's "the wrong person".

Wass85

I don't think that's the point at all, Hamilton doesn't come across as particularly sincere. People hate a fraud and sometimes it's like he says and does things just for a reaction or for likes from his fans.

With Senna you had the feeling he had 100% belief in what he said and meant. Hamilton sometimes looks like he's trying too hard to be liked and it shows.

De Jokke

With Senna, you had a feeling of "mr. Knowitall" while this certainly isn't the case with Hamilton.
Mercedes AMG + Hamilton => dreamteam!
If you can't beat'em, call Masi!