2019 Mercedes AMG Petronas Formula One Team

This forum contains threads to discuss teams themselves. Anything not technical about the cars, including restructuring, performances etc belongs here.
digitalrurouni

Re: 2019 Mercedes AMG Petronas Formula One Team

Thanks for sharing that translation. Was a fascinating read.

SiLo

bosyber wrote:
17 May 2019, 13:00
In a way it would be ironic if the Red Bull/Renault/Honda lobby for more fuel allowance really has helped Mercedes gain an extra sharp edge this season. Clever choice to reach the correct conclusion that efficiency is less important (and again, shows why that was the wrong choice to make for the FIA, going against the whole concept of the PU regulations). Also, if that's the problem, surely by now Red Bull is working to counter it, and will show a similar development curve as last year (though really, they again showed that apart from maybe 2009 - where they missed out on the double diffuser but got the basics right for at least the next four years - they are not great at developing for new regulations.)

PS. by the way, thanks for posting that translated version - I can read and write German, but after some sad experiences recently even with AMuS (their post-pre-season report in particular), I didn't read that article on their site (learned to check it out next time!).
I don't think this is really significant to be honest. All the cars where generally using less than the allotted fuel amount, so Mercedes can use more along with other teams but it will just underfuel by a similar percentage and maintain their advantage.
Felipe Baby!

Dazed1

Just_a_fan wrote:
16 May 2019, 09:07
zibby43 wrote:
16 May 2019, 07:13
I'm grateful for the fact that they give us so much quality content. They are one of the few teams in the entire paddock that are transparent in this respect.
Agreed. They are normally excellent.

I guess the thing that annoyed me was the iPhone style vertical strip film. I guess they were playing to the social media iPhone-style types. You can always tell that stuff because it's a thin vertical strip with huge blank space either side. iPhone users don't seem to be able to turn their phones to film... :wtf:
There should be an APP. "Hey, idiot, you are shooting video. Turn your phone!" I've been screaming this for 5 years, so far I have converted my wife only. :(

bosyber

SiLo wrote:
17 May 2019, 15:31
[snip]

I don't think this is really significant to be honest. All the cars where generally using less than the allotted fuel amount, so Mercedes can use more along with other teams but it will just underfuel by a similar percentage and maintain their advantage.
Eh, according to that AMuS article, Mercedes used the fact more fuel was going to be allowed as (one of the?) reason(s) to decide to not prioritize efficiency but rather go for 'max downforce', and so far, their path has worked in the races (I would agree with an argument they did not in fact have the best car everywhere but won on teamwork, but in Spain they surely were the best).

I am pretty sure that even last year, Honda had a problem with fuel, and surely in 2015,'16 the lack of late-race pace from Alonso would be explainable by that; also, someone made the FIA think that allowing (even) more fuel flow than already allowed since the 2017 changes, would increase competitiveness; combined with Horner often mentioning the fuel flow as an unneeded limit, Red Bull (or Honda) likely thought it would too.

For Ferrari and Mercedes engined teams you are likely right about underfuelling in many races in 2018, but I am not sure that Renault was always able to underfuel as much, and again, Honda very likely were not often able to.

Just_a_fan

Dazed1 wrote:
17 May 2019, 15:38
There should be an APP. "Hey, idiot, you are shooting video. Turn your phone!" I've been screaming this for 5 years, so far I have converted my wife only. :(
You called her an idiot and didn't die? Wow, you're lucky! I'd be in so much trouble... :shock: :lol:
If you are more fortunate than others, build a larger table not a taller fence.

Morteza

"A fool thinks himself to be wise, but a wise man knows himself to be a fool."~William Shakespeare

GPR-A

Mercedes is setting the standards of how a team should be run. This is absolutely great gesture from the team to have a Mechanic's day filmed and put it out to the viewers.

godlameroso

They go through a lot of effort to hide the bargeboards on the car.
Saishū kōnā

Jozsusz

That sound when that beauty is leaving the pits... my God. Beautiful

digitalrurouni

It does sound epic in person. Just a different sound from the high pitched Motors of the past.

I found it interesting how he places his leg in through the bargeboard section to help buckle Lewis in and there's a little step ladder at the bottom. Neat.

seventhsin

Niki Lauda has passed away. RIP

Sent from my SM-N960F using Tapatalk

langedweil

Yeah, just read it .. very sorry to hear, good imminent voice in the paddock, an old gen with real balls ..
Sad ..
HuggaWugga !

digitalrurouni

Wonder how that would affect proceedings this weekend. RIP Niki. What a legend. He is the ultimate definition of a comeback story.

WaikeCU

Lewis to win it for Niki.

Niki had a share in bringing Lewis to Merc, so I think it will be an emotional event for Lewis this weekend.

digitalrurouni

WaikeCU wrote:
21 May 2019, 15:34
Lewis to win it for Niki.

Niki had a share in bringing Lewis to Merc, so I think it will be an emotional event for Lewis this weekend.
That would be perfect!