2019 Mclaren F1 Team - Renault

This forum contains threads to discuss teams themselves. Anything not technical about the cars, including restructuring, performances etc belongs here.
Sieper

Re: 2019 Mclaren F1 Team - Renault

Yes, certainly! Supermarkets seem like a good F1 sponsor anyway. We all have to do groceries, we all have choice where we do that and they are supremely suitable for special actions, coupons etc. around the F1 teams/drivers.

j2004p
j2004p

Sieper wrote:
13 Mar 2019, 12:26
Yes, certainly! Supermarkets seem like a good F1 sponsor anyway. We all have to do groceries, we all have choice where we do that and they are supremely suitable for special actions, coupons etc. around the F1 teams/drivers.
If we're talking supermarkets then Zak needs to get on the phone to Sainsbury's as they have a predominantly Orange branding :D

_cerber1

After several unsuccessful years, McLaren is counting on progress in the new season. Team executive director Zach Brown spoke about the tasks for this year ...

Zach Brown: “We have great racers. I am inspired. The first thing we need to do is get into the middle of the peloton, and then become the best in this group.

We focused on work and in the off season hired a lot of employees. In May, one of those with whom Mark Webber worked at one time will take up his duties. We have a good car and great riders, we continue to work hard. "

bauc

_cerber1 wrote:
13 Mar 2019, 14:18

Zach Brown: “We have great racers. I am inspired. The first thing we need to do is get into the middle of the peloton, and then become the best in this group.
"
This is Mclaren's real target for the near future, its great to hear that they are acknowledging where they are and what is required of them
Last edited by bauc on 13 Mar 2019, 15:02, edited 1 time in total.
Формула 1 на Македонски - The first ever Macedonian Formula 1 YouTube channel
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCJkjCv ... 6rVRgKASwg

trinidefender
trinidefender

Ground Effect wrote:
13 Mar 2019, 10:37
mclaren111 wrote:
13 Mar 2019, 10:29
Amus:
Better engine installation

The new leadership will need time to get in and play. You know that at McLaren. The MCL34 is not a car written by James Key.
The orange race cars have been developed by a team led by aerodynamics chief Peter Prodromou and design chief Neil Oatley.
The signature of James Key will first carry the 2020 car. Nevertheless, McLaren is not only hoping for a medium and long-term effect. Similar to a coaching change in football, Key and Seidl want to blow a fresh breeze through the Woking factory - and sweep the 750-man team.

Interesting who Amus names as the key people of MCL34... No mention of Fry or Stella...
Zak himself has named Fry and Stella as the creators of the MCL34, I don't know why AMuS are saying this.
Considering that Pat Fry was only announced on September 4th, 2018 I doubt that he had a whole lot of influence in this car. Much of the car was designed with the major parts such as the tub design already signed off for by the time Fry would have even started.

Ground Effect
Ground Effect

trinidefender wrote:
13 Mar 2019, 14:42
Ground Effect wrote:
mclaren111 wrote:
13 Mar 2019, 10:29
Amus:

Interesting who Amus names as the key people of MCL34... No mention of Fry or Stella...
Zak himself has named Fry and Stella as the creators of the MCL34, I don't know why AMuS are saying this.
Considering that Pat Fry was only announced on September 4th, 2018 I doubt that he had a whole lot of influence in this car. Much of the car was designed with the major parts such as the tub design already signed off for by the time Fry would have even started.
According to Zak

"We’ve brought in Gil de Ferran, who brings an unusual mix of a racer’s instinct with strategic acumen, promoted Andrea Stella to lead our performance development and analysis group, brought back Pat Fry as engineering director to lead the design of the MCL34, and of course appointed James Key as our technical director to give us the singular technical leadership that has been missing,"

He also went further

"Pat Fry, who we’ve won many races and championships with, re-joined us during 2018, to lead and co-ordinate the design and delivery of the MCL34."

It's possible he was had been working for a while before the formal announcement was made. As far as I know, he wasn't attached anywhere prior to joining.
Q: (Stefano Mancini – La Stampa) Kimi, will you help Vettel to win his championship this year?
Kimi Raikkonen: I can only drive one car, obviously. 
@2018 Singapore Grand Prix drivers press conference.

trinidefender
trinidefender

Ground Effect wrote:
13 Mar 2019, 15:15
trinidefender wrote:
13 Mar 2019, 14:42
Ground Effect wrote:

According to Zak

"We’ve brought in Gil de Ferran, who brings an unusual mix of a racer’s instinct with strategic acumen, promoted Andrea Stella to lead our performance development and analysis group, brought back Pat Fry as engineering director to lead the design of the MCL34, and of course appointed James Key as our technical director to give us the singular technical leadership that has been missing,"

He also went further

"Pat Fry, who we’ve won many races and championships with, re-joined us during 2018, to lead and co-ordinate the design and delivery of the MCL34."

It's possible he was had been working for a while before the formal announcement was made. As far as I know, he wasn't attached anywhere prior to joining.
Nothing you quoted there has contradicted anything I said. Just because he was brought in to lead the development work of the McL34 doesn't mean that most of the car wasn't designed before he started.

What usually happens in situations like this in any engineering industry is that the ground work is done as best as possible by the interim team and then when the new head is brought in, they are brought up to speed and are handed the reins. There is some form of transition period where the new head has to review all their work and can make changes where possible and/or set the design direction for the future. In most cases, large parts of the design will already be frozen unfortunately.

There are a few parts that have long lead times such as the tub, gearbox casing fuel tank design etc. Take the tub for example, it has to meet devising criteria set out by many different departments and each extra set of specs make it more complicated. First and foremost it has to pass front, side, rear and also, the one people forget, rollover tests. The chassis guys give specifications for required stiffness and suspension mounting points. The PU team will give specifications for fuel tank/PU/battery integration. The aero team is in front of all this, having laid out the basic aerodynamic concept months ago which defines the parameters that the tub and sidepod/PU work within.

Just getting the tub signed off involves hundreds of engineers and thousands of hours of design work and this is before a tub is built and/or crash tested.

From what I've read a car design process is about 18 months minimum from concept to running on track.

So sure, Pat Fry may well lead the design direction in the future and will obviously have influenced the design somewhat since joining however it is almost guaranteed that large parts of the car will have been written in stone from before he was able to personally sign off on any changes.

Lastly a TD of a car does very little if any of the groundwork for the actual design/engineering for a car. They set the design direction and make the tough decision about when to sign off a part being "good enough" or to keep pushing and risk a part coming in late. They are essentially engineering and people managers.

FittingMechanics
FittingMechanics

Autosport released another video, in it hipster named every team other than McLaren as potentially fast one. When talking about Williams, he felt he needed to mention that McLaren is toward the end of the midfield, but still ahead of Williams.

I wonder if those people have short memories, McLaren had quite a few good races last year, especially if you consider the fact that they seemed to have no idea what was wrong with the car for most of the year, and when they realized what it is, it was a fundamental issue with the car that cannot be fixed mid season.

Looking forward to Melbourne.

SmallSoldier
SmallSoldier

FittingMechanics wrote:Autosport released another video, in it hipster named every team other than McLaren as potentially fast one. When talking about Williams, he felt he needed to mention that McLaren is toward the end of the midfield, but still ahead of Williams.

I wonder if those people have short memories, McLaren had quite a few good races last year, especially if you consider the fact that they seemed to have no idea what was wrong with the car for most of the year, and when they realized what it is, it was a fundamental issue with the car that cannot be fixed mid season.

Looking forward to Melbourne.
I really hope the team performs better than expected this weekend and wonder what the so called “journalists” and pundits would say if they do.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Morteza

The article mentions that both Ferrari and McLaren will have their Mission Winnow and A Better Tomorrow logos back for the next grand prix.
https://twitter.com/autosport/status/11 ... 2390947848
"A fool thinks himself to be wise, but a wise man knows himself to be a fool."~William Shakespeare

McG

I don't get what satisfaction is gained from a journalist maybe getting something wrong. I haven't read any of the articles saying McLaren are at the back. Seems like a childish nonsense to me having a personal back and forth with whatever someone has said on what really are mostly tabloid style websites and journslists.

How many of these junk speculative articles do people need to read.
F1 is dead.

_cerber1

Re: McLaren MCL34

_cerber1

Question Judging by the results of the tests, McLaren will be ahead of the teams of the middle group?

Carlos Sainz: We'll see. In the last week of tests, we did everything we needed and were pleased with the way the training went. The team is satisfied with the progress in two weeks of tests - we more or less got what we wanted from the car and the settings. At the base, everyone is enthusiastic, and this adds to my own motivation. Yes, we do not yet know what positions we are in, but it was great to pass the distance on the tests and to feel that we are ready for the start of the season.

Question: On the tests you showed the best time at the end of the sixth day. Does that give confidence?

Carlos Sainz: We have not yet checked the maximum speed of the car, so it's hard to say. We will do this only during qualification in Australia. I only care about the result on the stopwatch, and not the feeling of control. If the car has understeer, but in speed we will be ahead of the teams of the middle group, I will be happy, and you can always adjust to the features of the car.

Question the Team brought new items to Melbourne

Carlos Sainz Yes, a few new elements, but nothing that would seriously change the car. We took with us three or four new parts to solve the problems with the balance that prevented in Barcelona. The team is moving in the right direction, listens to the racers and prepares new items, taking into account our wishes.

Question a New power plant Renault inspires optimism

Carlos Sainz: In the tests it was like that, but in Barcelona we drove with low downforce, and this was partly due to our high speed on the straights. In qualifying, we learn how much progress made in Renault.

Question: On tests, did you try to increase engine power for qualification?

Carlos Sainz: Maybe! (laughs) Exactly what's not on my fast lap. Hope we have this mode. It’s not a long time to go - you will learn everything in a day. In fact, already after the second training session, we will have the first idea of ​​what positions we are in.

Ground Effect
Ground Effect

_cerber1 wrote:
14 Mar 2019, 13:18
Question Judging by the results of the tests, McLaren will be ahead of the teams of the middle group?

Carlos Sainz: We'll see. In the last week of tests, we did everything we needed and were pleased with the way the training went. The team is satisfied with the progress in two weeks of tests - we more or less got what we wanted from the car and the settings. At the base, everyone is enthusiastic, and this adds to my own motivation. Yes, we do not yet know what positions we are in, but it was great to pass the distance on the tests and to feel that we are ready for the start of the season.

Question: On the tests you showed the best time at the end of the sixth day. Does that give confidence?

Carlos Sainz: We have not yet checked the maximum speed of the car, so it's hard to say. We will do this only during qualification in Australia. I only care about the result on the stopwatch, and not the feeling of control. If the car has understeer, but in speed we will be ahead of the teams of the middle group, I will be happy, and you can always adjust to the features of the car.

Question the Team brought new items to Melbourne

Carlos Sainz Yes, a few new elements, but nothing that would seriously change the car. We took with us three or four new parts to solve the problems with the balance that prevented in Barcelona. The team is moving in the right direction, listens to the racers and prepares new items, taking into account our wishes.

Question a New power plant Renault inspires optimism

Carlos Sainz: In the tests it was like that, but in Barcelona we drove with low downforce, and this was partly due to our high speed on the straights. In qualifying, we learn how much progress made in Renault.

Question: On tests, did you try to increase engine power for qualification?

Carlos Sainz: Maybe! (laughs) Exactly what's not on my fast lap. Hope we have this mode. It’s not a long time to go - you will learn everything in a day. In fact, already after the second training session, we will have the first idea of ​​what positions we are in.
Interesting, thanks for this..
Q: (Stefano Mancini – La Stampa) Kimi, will you help Vettel to win his championship this year?
Kimi Raikkonen: I can only drive one car, obviously. 
@2018 Singapore Grand Prix drivers press conference.

f1rules
f1rules

very interesting interview, thanks!