2019 Mclaren F1 Team - Renault

This forum contains threads to discuss teams themselves. Anything not technical about the cars, including restructuring, performances etc belongs here.
f1rules

Re: 2019 Mclaren F1 Team - Renault

Yeah, bit nevey'sk, just moving around observing :-)
Dipesh1995 wrote:
19 Mar 2019, 23:36
Good to see Pat Fry attending the race.

mclaren111

Ed Straw:
Eighth on the grid but only 12th in the race - Lando Norris's mood after his Formula 1 debut had a strong air of "could do better". He needn't be disappointed, Australia provided plenty of evidence of what makes this rookie so special

I agree... Norris did good this weekend...

Big Tea

8th on grid was a false position, so little wonder the other cars passed him, they should have been infront anyway.
He did ok, and held his own. He at least has a full race under his belt now, so may take slightly more chances next time now he has shown he can keep a cool head.
When arguing with a fool, be sure the other person is not doing the same thing.

SmallSoldier

Big Tea wrote:8th on grid was a false position, so little wonder the other cars passed him, they should have been infront anyway.
He did ok, and held his own. He at least has a full race under his belt now, so may take slightly more chances next time now he has shown he can keep a cool head.
He wasn’t really “passed” by the other teams... He actually came back behind Magnussen and Hulkenberg and ahead of Romain after the pit stop... He got stuck behind GIO and that’s why he fell down the order when the other cars pitted... He worn down his tires in excess trying to make the pass and his pace suffered from it afterwards... After he made the pass he was in front of Perez and managed to stay in front of him by the end of the race... His pace was definitely worst than the likes of Kvyat and Gasly, but it was due to the tire strategy and the fact that knowing he wouldn’t make up the spots lost simply “saved” the engine and made sure to finish the race... His pace compared to Perez and Albon was similar in the second stint

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Big Tea

SmallSoldier wrote:
20 Mar 2019, 17:47
Big Tea wrote:8th on grid was a false position, so little wonder the other cars passed him, they should have been infront anyway.
He wasn’t really “passed” by the other teams... He actually came back behind Magnussen and Hulkenberg and ahead of Romain after the pit stop... He got stuck behind GIO and that’s why he fell down the order when the other cars pitted... He worn down his tires in excess trying to make the pass and his pace suffered from it afterwards... After he made the pass he was in front of Perez and managed to stay in front of him by the end of the race... His pace was definitely worst than the likes of Kvyat and Gasly, but it was due to the tire strategy and the fact that knowing he wouldn’t make up the spots lost simply “saved” the engine and made sure to finish the race... His pace compared to Perez and Albon was similar in the second stint

But had he qualified 8 'on merit', in all probability he would had the little extra to make it worth going for a pass, and not bottled up, or even a little further up the road at pit time and not caught there at all.

Either way, what I am saying is that is not a bad place for him to finish, when you consider the race.
Everyone would like to be a few places higher

PhillipM

Everyone had a little extra to make a pass - melbourne was terrible for overtaking as usual, you needed 2 seconds a lap in hand for an easy pass.

diffuser

PhillipM wrote:
20 Mar 2019, 21:18
Everyone had a little extra to make a pass - melbourne was terrible for overtaking as usual, you needed 2 seconds a lap in hand for an easy pass.
Not sure it's still 2 seconds a lap but is tough, no doubt. Only second to Monaco.

SmallSoldier

Big Tea wrote:
SmallSoldier wrote:

But had he qualified 8 'on merit', in all probability he would had the little extra to make it worth going for a pass, and not bottled up, or even a little further up the road at pit time and not caught there at all.

Either way, what I am saying is that is not a bad place for him to finish, when you consider the race.
What do you mean on merit? He made it to Q2 with a great lap... He made it to Q3 with another good lap and managed to get his lap for 8th on one new set of tires... That P8 was on merit

RonDennis

M840TR wrote:
19 Mar 2019, 21:17
godlameroso wrote:
19 Mar 2019, 19:00
At least passing is possible here, we should see the McLaren's true potential.
Also Sainz's true potential against Norris. He seemed to have the measure of him all weekend until bad luck struck. Maybe he can put the car even higher up the grid this time if they're in q3. He's also one hell of a starter so we maybe in for a good show.
Exactly, everyone is forgetting that Sainz was giving Verstappen a hard time.

Jolle

To be fair, Melbourne has always been quite favourable for McLaren and not a good indication for the rest of the year.

Last year, Alonso was fifth.... (and in 2014 for instance where their last podiums on this same track)

M840TR

Jolle wrote:
21 Mar 2019, 00:32
To be fair, Melbourne has always been quite favourable for McLaren and not a good indication for the rest of the year.

Last year, Alonso was fifth.... (and in 2014 for instance where their last podiums on this same track)
That fifth wasn't on merit. They got lucky with VSC. He qualified P11 and that's where the real pace was.

charliesmithhd

M840TR wrote:
21 Mar 2019, 00:39
Jolle wrote:
21 Mar 2019, 00:32

That fifth wasn't on merit. They got lucky with VSC. He qualified P11 and that's where the real pace was.
Also with 2 haas cars out, Bottas out of place and max spinning

Big Tea

SmallSoldier wrote:
21 Mar 2019, 00:17
Big Tea wrote:
SmallSoldier wrote:

What do you mean on merit? He made it to Q2 with a great lap... He made it to Q3 with another good lap and managed to get his lap for 8th on one new set of tires... That P8 was on merit

I think you are going to have a disappointing year. He did well, but in reality I don't think that car belonged there.
Mind, I hope you are right.

diffuser

Maybe he means Norris might have been 9th if Saintz didn't get stuck behind Kubica?

SmallSoldier

diffuser wrote:Maybe he means Norris might have been 9th if Saintz didn't get stuck behind Kubica?
We can speculate 1000 different scenarios and all of them could be “plausible”, yes... Sainz could have outpaced Norris or none of them could have made it to Q3 if Gasly wasn’t kicked out in Q1 or if the Renaults could have found a couple more tenth.

If it come to speculation, we could also say that if GIO would have pitted a few laps earlier, Norris could have finished in the points... I guess is a futile exercise to try and play with all the possible scenarios, because they all could have played out.

But to say that he qualified in 8th position out of merit is unfair... He put the times when he needed to, not once, but 3 times, we have to give him a bit of credit for that.

In regards to been disappointed, all be very proud or disappointed about the team performance at the end of the season... Probably what I hope for the team diverges from a lot of other fans, I just want to send them improve more than their competitors through the year so that we can start 2020 in a better position than the one we started 2019... If that happens, regardless of their end position in the championship, I will be content with the result of the team... I will keep saying that it is way too early to make any kind of assessment on any of the teams, from Mclaren to Ferrari, Mercedes, Red Bull or Renault... It has been one race in a non representative track... Let’s wait for what the next few races bring and then we will be able to better understand where are they all in the pecking order and from there analyze who is developing better than the rest... On the mean time, I just hope to see the team in action and hopefully racing others and not just cruising at the back of the grid

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk