2019 Mclaren F1 Team - Renault

This forum contains threads to discuss teams themselves. Anything not technical about the cars, including restructuring, performances etc belongs here.
Bisonas

Re: 2019 Mclaren F1 Team - Renault

_cerber1 wrote:
14 May 2019, 13:38
Dipesh1995 wrote:
14 May 2019, 13:34
James key pretty much confirmed that the current solution isn't the optimal one and that the Red Bull version is better in his interview with chandhok.
Link?
https://streamable.com/4wbx4

James Key explaining the MCL FW, What they need to do from now on, and which team is doing it better atm.

_cerber1

Bisonas wrote:
14 May 2019, 14:22
_cerber1 wrote:
Dipesh1995 wrote:
James key pretty much confirmed that the current solution isn't the optimal one and that the Red Bull version is better in his interview with chandhok.
Link?

James Key explaining the MCL FW, What they need to do from now on, and which team is doing it better atm.
How to open this file?

Lucky

_cerber1 wrote:
14 May 2019, 14:29
Bisonas wrote:
14 May 2019, 14:22
_cerber1 wrote:

Link?

How to open this file?
English VPN

flexcon

M840TR wrote:
14 May 2019, 13:35
flexcon wrote:
14 May 2019, 13:21
Just me or is that front wing gone ever further in the same direction as Ferrari - going for in wash?

Looked to me that Ferrari, Torro Rosso and Alfa would change to the direction of Merc and Redbull.
Outwash.
always mistaking that. Always learning.

diffuser

Jolle wrote:
14 May 2019, 11:40
Nivedanm wrote:
14 May 2019, 10:51
Just a quick question to aero/mech engineers out there. What gives a car the advantage in low speed corners? Mechanical grip enabled by suspension and chassis setup or aero configuration of the car? What does one have to do to improve low speed corners? Aero tweaks or suspension adjustments and chassis setup with a different ballast placement?
Mostly chassis and suspension. A ton of downforce helps as well, which doesn’t have to be efficient. Oh and good drivability, with the current PU’s, having lots of electric power from the apex.
IMO, the term "Mechanical grip" refers to the traction you get without aero aid. Aero tweaks will help with slow speed traction at certain speeds but will not improve your underlying mechanical grip. The only way to improve your mechanical grip is by making suspension changes.

M840TR and I were chatting in 1 of the 2 McLaren forums last week about Merc using some kind of FRIC replacement.

SmallSoldier

Xero wrote:
flexcon wrote:
Just me or is that front wing gone ever further in the same direction as Ferrari - going for in wash?

Looked to me that Ferrari, Torro Rosso and Alfa would change to the direction of Merc and Redbull.
They have gone more towards the same direction as Ferrari, but it's going for more out-wash, not in-wash.

Will be interesting to see if McLaren do some more extensive back to back tests with the old front wing, which can have the outboard section adjusted relatively high to create more frontal downforce. Maybe they're at a point where need to start sacrificing tyre wake management in order to get the front downforce they clearly need?

I can't remember seeing any comments from the weekend suggesting a change in the car's balance with the upgrade? I think tyre temp issues may have masked any improvements.
The team has to be really careful, tire wake management is why the outwash design exists... And I would argue that managing the wake is more important than Downforce since the TW (Tire Wake) can create havoc to the rest of the aero in the car and make it completely unpredictable (just like in 2018).

The team was also suffering from understeer and not enough DF from the front wing (reason why it was running their low drag Rear Wing at the beginning of the season), this new wing allowed them to go for a higher downforce rear wing and kept the car balanced (which is a win for the team).

If there was a problem this weekend was with rear grip, which could be a more mechanical issue and also temperature related (the team seemed to be better on the lower temperatures of FP1).

But, so far the wing seems to be doing exactly what was needed of it, increase front downforce, while managing the outwash... They will need to keep refining it until they bring their next concept.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

SmallSoldier

Bisonas wrote:
_cerber1 wrote:
Dipesh1995 wrote:
Link?

Thank you for the link!

Xero

SmallSoldier wrote:
14 May 2019, 15:17
Xero wrote:
flexcon wrote:

They have gone more towards the same direction as Ferrari, but it's going for more out-wash, not in-wash.

Will be interesting to see if McLaren do some more extensive back to back tests with the old front wing, which can have the outboard section adjusted relatively high to create more frontal downforce. Maybe they're at a point where need to start sacrificing tyre wake management in order to get the front downforce they clearly need?

I can't remember seeing any comments from the weekend suggesting a change in the car's balance with the upgrade? I think tyre temp issues may have masked any improvements.
The team has to be really careful, tire wake management is why the outwash design exists... And I would argue that managing the wake is more important than Downforce since the TW (Tire Wake) can create havoc to the rest of the aero in the car and make it completely unpredictable (just like in 2018).

The team was also suffering from understeer and not enough DF from the front wing (reason why it was running their low drag Rear Wing at the beginning of the season), this new wing allowed them to go for a higher downforce rear wing and kept the car balanced (which is a win for the team).

If there was a problem this weekend was with rear grip, which could be a more mechanical issue and also temperature related (the team seemed to be better on the lower temperatures of FP1).

But, so far the wing seems to be doing exactly what was needed of it, increase front downforce, while managing the outwash... They will need to keep refining it until they bring their next concept.

Absolutely. I made the same point a few pages back, tire wake management has been focus #1 for them this year, given last. Hearing Key's comments in that interview, they are still some way off the front downforce levels they need, but it sounds like that will be a continued area of improvement throughout the season.

Given they are front limited, having a stiffer front end would help aero-wise, but make them suffer in slow speed corners. This is backed by their really strong S1, and poor S3. My guess is during during the weekend they started to soften the rear to try and compensate and help rotate the car through S3, but that resulted in higher rear tyre temps hence the slower race pace.

SmallSoldier

I agree with you, the problems in S3 seemed to be more mechanical than downforce related... Although, we all know that in this cars all factors are related and they all need to work together to create performance.

The current upgrade has been in development for at least a couple of months now, I’m sure the team is working on a solution similar to Mercedes/RBR and if they can make that work with the rest of package they will implement it... The current FW is probably allowing them to make an step forward “now” and it’s an improvement over the previous one and that’s why they are using it.

RonDennis

People in here also seem to forget that McLaren compares this track somewhat with China, which means they could have been further at the back without the update and other teams also improved their performance.

Ground Effect

RonDennis wrote:
14 May 2019, 17:02
People in here also seem to forget that McLaren compares this track somewhat with China, which means they could have been further at the back without the update and other teams also improved their performance.
Yep, good point... In China, Q3 was a bridge too far, with zero chance of making it through. But here they were tantalisingly close to Q3. Also, issues this weekend seemed to be the rear of the car, which we didn’t have much problems with until race day. There must be some factors, or combination of factors which were unique to race day conditions. The Soymotor site says today’s running is with special emphasis to S3, in preparation for Monaco. Hoping they find a breakthrough.
Q: (Stefano Mancini – La Stampa) Kimi, will you help Vettel to win his championship this year?
Kimi Raikkonen: I can only drive one car, obviously. 
@2018 Singapore Grand Prix drivers press conference.

chrisgr

https://as.com/motor/2019/05/13/formula ... 15842.html "stole" it from RBR thread. We must be doing something right..

Ground Effect

chrisgr wrote:
14 May 2019, 17:26
https://as.com/motor/2019/05/13/formula ... 15842.html "stole" it from RBR thread. We must be doing something right..
:D @ “stole”
Q: (Stefano Mancini – La Stampa) Kimi, will you help Vettel to win his championship this year?

Ground Effect

Lap count doesn’t reflect a team searching for answers.

SmallSoldier

Ground Effect wrote:Lap count doesn’t reflect a team searching for answers.
If they are trying different things, it is normal to have a low lap count since they have to stop to make the changes... Going for lap after lap isn’t useful either unless you are trying to learn tire behavior during an stint and behavior with different load / fuel levels.

It just depends on the team’s program.