2019 Mclaren F1 Team - Renault

This forum contains threads to discuss teams themselves. Anything not technical about the cars, including restructuring, performances etc belongs here.
mwillems

Re: 2019 Mclaren F1 Team - Renault

SmallSoldier wrote:
04 Jun 2019, 18:33
godlameroso wrote:
SmallSoldier wrote:
04 Jun 2019, 15:18

Last year Red Bull was 0.17 seconds from Pole in Canada’s Qualifying... The engines might very well be pretty close together, reality is that we don’t have enough information to confirm or deny Renault’s statement...

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
If the trend continues Red Bull is .3-.4 faster than last year. Mercedes .6 - .7 and Ferrari .1 to .2 faster.

McLaren is .7-.8 faster so they closed the gap to the top by ~.2 they still have the better part of a second, but it's good enough to have the 4th fastest car at the moment. Or at the very least 4th best team.
Exactly! I’ll admit my expectations are high for Canada... In the past, Canada has followed Bahrain in terms of team’s performance and McLaren had a good showing there, so hoping that it repeats itself... In addition, the upgrades brought to Spain haven’t really have had a chance shine (admitted setup issues in Spain and Monaco we all know won’t show any Aero progress)... So Canada should be the first time we see what the car can do in a high speed track... They are also supposed to be able to run the engine a little harder!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
I was feeling the same way, as you know. Then I saw Lando Norris' post on facebook talking about how much he loves Canada on the sim, but that he is hoping for rain to mix things up. I'm not sure what to read into that. I was kind of hoping we would be strong enough to not need rain.
Give a man a fire, and he will be warm for a night.
Set a man on fire, and he will be warm for the rest of his life.

FittingMechanics

mwillems wrote:
05 Jun 2019, 00:54
I was feeling the same way, as you know. Then I saw Lando Norris' post on facebook talking about how much he loves Canada on the sim, but that he is hoping for rain to mix things up. I'm not sure what to read into that. I was kind of hoping we would be strong enough to not need rain.
Both Lando and Sainz, as well as team, are taking the approach to do the talking on the track. It would be very strange to see them start promising strong results. You shouldn't read much into it, all of them are trying to stay humble which I feel is a good way to approach things.

mwillems

FittingMechanics wrote:
05 Jun 2019, 01:03
mwillems wrote:
Both Lando and Sainz, as well as team, are taking the approach to do the talking on the track. It would be very strange to see them start promising strong results. You shouldn't read much into it, all of them are trying to stay humble which I feel is a good way to approach things.
Yes and they have been doing that well all season, but this was a surprise to me as it is not just keeping your head down, it seems to be saying you don't expect too much. So be it, if that is the case :/

zoroastar

to me its pretty hard to fathom how, with all the pictures, info and spying going on in f1 that anyone can stay ahead for so long. i mean, any team can see 90% of the aero that was on last years mercedes, ferrari or redbull, but nobody can replicate it. i know that suspensions and floors may be a little harder to get info about, but its pretty crazy. i know that its far from that simple, obviously, or it would be done. but the fact that every team, that isnt a B-team, build their cars from the ground up, and go through their own program, while copying some parts and ideas, but can never pull off a coup de ta on the top teams. im looking forward to some budget caps personally.

and for gods sake, leave some room for loopholes every now and then. for the good of the sport.

zoroastar

FittingMechanics wrote:
mwillems wrote:
i think Lando, and the team would like to get a freak podium, or win. its hard to remember that every driver on the grid wants nothing less than to win, or at least to have the chance. rain levels the playing field.

FittingMechanics

zoroastar wrote:
05 Jun 2019, 07:25
to me its pretty hard to fathom how, with all the pictures, info and spying going on in f1 that anyone can stay ahead for so long. i mean, any team can see 90% of the aero that was on last years mercedes, ferrari or redbull, but nobody can replicate it. i know that suspensions and floors may be a little harder to get info about, but its pretty crazy. i know that its far from that simple, obviously, or it would be done. but the fact that every team, that isnt a B-team, build their cars from the ground up, and go through their own program, while copying some parts and ideas, but can never pull off a coup de ta on the top teams. im looking forward to some budget caps personally.

and for gods sake, leave some room for loopholes every now and then. for the good of the sport.
Now imagine how it is in a spec series. Penske, Andretti, are at the front of the field in IndyCar and they all use the same car. There is a lot more to it than just the car.

In F1, problem is that it is a highly complex issue and you are catching a moving target. If you copy them, you'll always be behind, especially as big teams tend to outspend the rest of the field. Sad thing is that McLaren fell into that trap and is seemingly not spending enough.

Ground Effect

mwillems wrote:
05 Jun 2019, 01:05
FittingMechanics wrote:
mwillems wrote:
Yes and they have been doing that well all season, but this was a surprise to me as it is not just keeping your head down, it seems to be saying you don't expect too much. So be it, if that is the case :/
I think Lando would want rain for an opportunity to score more points than they normally would. Rain could turn the race on its head, then you could see them or anyone else in the midfield sneak into the top 5 or 6 or even a sensational podium. Lando is actually good in the wet, Carlos is solid and particularly strong in changeable conditions, damp-wet-damp-dry. That said, I feel our low downforce MCL34 could hinder them.
Q: (Stefano Mancini – La Stampa) Kimi, will you help Vettel to win his championship this year?
Kimi Raikkonen: I can only drive one car, obviously. 
@2018 Singapore Grand Prix drivers press conference.

M840TR

Ground Effect wrote:
05 Jun 2019, 10:24
mwillems wrote:
FittingMechanics wrote:

I think Lando would want rain for an opportunity to score more points than they normally would. Rain could turn the race on its head, then you could see them or anyone else in the midfield sneak into the top 5 or 6 or even a sensational podium. Lando is actually good in the wet, Carlos is solid and particularly strong in changeable conditions, damp-wet-damp-dry. That said, I feel our low downforce MCL34 could hinder them.
Also the tyre warm-up issues...

mwillems

FittingMechanics wrote:
05 Jun 2019, 07:39
zoroastar wrote:
05 Jun 2019, 07:25

Now imagine how it is in a spec series. Penske, Andretti, are at the front of the field in IndyCar and they all use the same car. There is a lot more to it than just the car.

In F1, problem is that it is a highly complex issue and you are catching a moving target. If you copy them, you'll always be behind, especially as big teams tend to outspend the rest of the field. Sad thing is that McLaren fell into that trap and is seemingly not spending enough.
Even then, you can't just copy bits of things from every car as they will work differently depending on the cars philosophy, even when you come to copying an idea, there will be a good amount of investigation.

diffuser

M840TR wrote:
05 Jun 2019, 13:06
Ground Effect wrote:
mwillems wrote:

Also the tyre warm-up issues...
Used to be that the best drivers would, like cream, rise to the top in the rain. It isn't so true anymore. The teams that have problems with the tire overheating when it's hot, have a distinct advantage in the rain. They can generate heat much easier in their tires in the rain.

mwillems

Ground Effect wrote:
mwillems wrote:
FittingMechanics wrote:

Maybe :/ People talk about tyres here but it won't be hot enough to affect anything more than qualifying.

We will struggle in the mid speed corners, as always, be OK in low speed and make it up in the few high speed corners and the straights. Unless they bring parts I don't think we can fix the mid speed corner deficits this weekend, but I'd like to think we could build the car to get good traction from the low speed corners (2 & 10) and maximise the slipperiness of the car when on the straights.

My concern is the number of smaller straights after mid speed corners, where of aerodynamic efficiency will only ever be able to make up the deficit of the relatively slower mid corner speed and exit, rather than surpass it.

Crucially I think we will manage the hairpin and straight just fine and that our flaws will be outweighed by our strengths, so I feel that this is a track where we should target 7th and 8th. But let's see if that is pei in the sky and Lando wants rain to get into Q3 or if it is rain because he fancies a cheeky podium with a fast car.

It's interesting that he thinks the car would work well in the rain if the issues are tyre temperature related, would imagine the tyres would be too cool if it was a temperature issue.

_cerber1

On the weekend they promise sunny weather, without rain. But overall, the team expects a good weekend in terms of points.

SmallSoldier

mwillems wrote:
Ground Effect wrote:
mwillems wrote:
Maybe :/ People talk about tyres here but it won't be hot enough to affect anything more than qualifying.

We will struggle in the mid speed corners, as always, be OK in low speed and make it up in the few high speed corners and the straights. Unless they bring parts I don't think we can fix the mid speed corner deficits this weekend, but I'd like to think we could build the car to get good traction from the low speed corners (2 & 10) and maximise the slipperiness of the car when on the straights.

My concern is the number of smaller straights after mid speed corners, where of aerodynamic efficiency will only ever be able to make up the deficit of the relatively slower mid corner speed and exit, rather than surpass it.

Crucially I think we will manage the hairpin and straight just fine and that our flaws will be outweighed by our strengths, so I feel that this is a track where we should target 7th and 8th. But let's see if that is pei in the sky and Lando wants rain to get into Q3 or if it is rain because he fancies a cheeky podium with a fast car.

It's interesting that he thinks the car would work well in the rain if the issues are tyre temperature related, would imagine the tyres would be too cool if it was a temperature issue.
You are reading way too much into his comment... Lando enjoys driving in the rain a lot (and he is actually pretty good at it as showed in the F2 race at Paul Ricard last year)... The team knows that under normal conditions they will target Q3 and points... With rain, they are other possibilities, that’s it.

Big Tea

The problem with hoping you gain from rain is that by being just half a lap out from your 'want' it can lose you a lot of time. Tyres will not last any longer, so pit, then 30 seconds later it rains.
Nice gap to following car, rain, car in front goes off and safety car. You lose your buffer etc. Fine for us to want rain to improve the spectacle, but it think it is not wise for the drivers to do a rain dance.
When arguing with a fool, be sure the other person is not doing the same thing.

mwillems

SmallSoldier wrote:
05 Jun 2019, 15:44
mwillems wrote:
Ground Effect wrote:

You are reading way too much into his comment... Lando enjoys driving in the rain a lot (and he is actually pretty good at it as showed in the F2 race at Paul Ricard last year)... The team knows that under normal conditions they will target Q3 and points... With rain, they are other possibilities, that’s it.

The only part relating to Lando was at the end, the rest is just my thoughts on how we will do at that track, it's not really reading anything into it to be honest, other than I'm not sure what thoughts are re rain.