2019 Mclaren F1 Team - Renault

This forum contains threads to discuss teams themselves. Anything not technical about the cars, including restructuring, performances etc belongs here.
diffuser

Re: 2019 Mclaren F1 Team - Renault

bone wrote:
07 Jun 2019, 09:44
diffuser wrote:
06 Jun 2019, 18:26
We weren't taking about Drive-ability, which I personally think is a joke
you should go drive an overtuned 2 stroke drag racing engine on the road, and then come back to this statement...
drive-ability is sooooo very important, even more than top power
Right cause they spend over 1 Billions dollars on a improving and producing PUs/PU design over 5 years right?. Compare apples with apples.

Often, in these forums, we latch on to things that at some point were true. We carry them forward and expect them to be true for, a given period of time. I believe drive-ability to be one of those things. It is well documented that in this generation of PUs regulations that at one time Renault had drive-ability issues. I can't believe that after all the time, effort, money they pour into these PUs and constant feed back they ask for and get from the drivers that they haven't resolved those issues to the point where any advantage anyone team has been nullified.

I just can't believe that.
Last edited by diffuser on 07 Jun 2019, 18:34, edited 1 time in total.

diffuser

mwillems wrote:
07 Jun 2019, 12:28
Andres125sx wrote:
07 Jun 2019, 08:19
diffuser wrote:

Nope just him. Not that i dislike him or anything, just disagree with him . Am I not allowed ?

- When was the last time they check that 30% Full throttle? Full throttle of what, the least demanding PU Mapping? on a PU that in most cases has run 5 other races, that you likely don't want to be pushing any more?

We weren't taking about Drive-ability, which I personally think is a joke, nor did I say Honda had less power. Initially the conversation was about him not believing what Cyril said about the Renault PU matching Merc and Ferrari in race conditions.

With regards with your DF remarks, I agree. you're just looking at it from the other side.
Disagreeing, yes, obviously, but you stated you´re wrong wich is different
This conversation seems a bit excessive. 'You're wrong' is definitely forthright but it's hardly shutting someone down.

You're reply was just as forthright, more personal and a clearer attempt to shut someone down. I'd take my own guess and suggest that was symptomatic of the day you were having as much as anything else, which is fair enough. But why doesnt everyone shake hands and move on 😊
yeah, agreed. I even said I didn't have an issue with him, just disagreed with him. I hope i didn't offend him, wasn't trying to.

Shader

Ground Effect wrote:
07 Jun 2019, 18:15
Thoughts so far?
I don't know if tyre info was correct, it shows Sainz did his fastest on Medium, and I doubt that. Anyway, they seem to be best of the rest at the moment... Alfa's fast lap don't seem very representative.
Last edited by Shader on 07 Jun 2019, 18:33, edited 1 time in total.

_cerber1

Good time for average rubber. It seems Lando is also the leader in maximum speed.

https://twitter.com/F1/status/1137020588093034496

Andres125sx

diffuser wrote:
07 Jun 2019, 09:10
Andres125sx wrote:
diffuser wrote:

Nope just him. Not that i dislike him or anything, just disagree with him . Am I not allowed ?

- When was the last time they check that 30% Full throttle? Full throttle of what, the least demanding PU Mapping? on a PU that in most cases has run 5 other races, that you likely don't want to be pushing any more?

We weren't taking about Drive-ability, which I personally think is a joke, nor did I say Honda had less power. Initially the conversation was about him not believing what Cyril said about the Renault PU matching Merc and Ferrari in race conditions.

With regards with your DF remarks, I agree. you're just looking at it from the other side.
Hate to state the obvious but if we disagree one or both of us are wrong.
Exactly, but you assumed he´s the one who is wrong, as if you couldn´t be wrong. Sorry but that´s arrogance

diffuser

Andres125sx wrote:
07 Jun 2019, 18:33
diffuser wrote:
07 Jun 2019, 09:10
Andres125sx wrote:

Hate to state the obvious but if we disagree one or both of us are wrong.
Exactly, but you assumed he´s the one who is wrong, as if you couldn´t be wrong. Sorry but that´s arrogance

Well, I believe what I believe cause I think it's right. You believe stuff cause you think it's wrong ?

M840TR

Shader wrote:
07 Jun 2019, 18:29
Ground Effect wrote:
Thoughts so far?
I don't know if tyre info was correct, it shows Sainz did his fastest on Medium, and I doubt that. Anyway, they seem to be best of the rest at the moment... Alfa's fast lap don't seem very representative.
I think he did. Only bolted softs in the end and messed up the lap to go quicker.

Ground Effect

M840TR wrote:
07 Jun 2019, 18:37
Shader wrote:
Ground Effect wrote:
Thoughts so far?
I think he did. Only bolted softs in the end and messed up the lap to go quicker.
From TeamStream:

Carlos improves to 1:13.973. That's P3. Carlos is also on the Soft compound – and we have a Virtual Safety Car. GIO off at T8.
Q: (Stefano Mancini – La Stampa) Kimi, will you help Vettel to win his championship this year?
Kimi Raikkonen: I can only drive one car, obviously. 
@2018 Singapore Grand Prix drivers press conference.

charliesmithhd

Shader wrote:
Ground Effect wrote:
Thoughts so far?
He was definitely on the softs at the end, don’t think he improved his time in them though

Andres125sx

diffuser wrote:
07 Jun 2019, 18:19
bone wrote:
07 Jun 2019, 09:44
diffuser wrote:
We weren't taking about Drive-ability, which I personally think is a joke
you should go drive an overtuned 2 stroke drag racing engine on the road, and then come back to this statement...
drive-ability is sooooo very important, even more than top power
Right cause they spend over 1 Billions dollars on a improving and producing PUs/PU design over 5 years right?. Compare apples with apples.

Often, in these forums, we latch on to things that at some point were true. We carry them forward and expect them to be true for, a given period of time. I believe drive-ability to be one of those things. It is well documented that in this generation of PUs regulations that at one time Renault had drive-ability issues. I can't believe that after all the time, effort, money they pour into these PUs and constant feed back they ask for and get from the drivers that they haven't resolved those issues to the point where any advantage anyone team has been nullified.

I just can't believe that.
Maybe you´re thinking driveability is something any motor enjoy by itself, and the lack of it is just because of something went wrong in the design and must be solved.

If that´s the case, sorry but you´re wrong :mrgreen: . It´s not only a problem if someone makes a mistake, it can also be a strong point if someone did a great job. This is F1, F1 cars can´t apply full throttle in at least first 3 gears, wich means at the exit of any slow and medium speed corners driveability is what determines how much traction the car will have, how fast it will go out of most corners at any track (apart from chassis design, suspensions geometry and function, etc.), and since this is F1, any small difference in this regard can make a big difference in laptimes, both if some manufacturer made a mistake, or the opposite, someone did it great and enjoy a better than usual drivability and traction.

I´m a former MX rider wich is a completely different field, but traction is crucial in MX and my 2 stroke bike strugled in this field compared to any 4 stroke to a point they sometimes looked like different categories when there were not. In F1 there´s no differences that big as they´re all same type of engines, but since in F1 differences are measured in miliseconds, any small difference in traction can mean a bid advantage.

Traditionally, powerfull engines are peaky engines with poor driveability, while some others lack that peak power, but provide much better driveability. In F1 probably all PU are pretty similar as they´re same strokes, same cylinder count and distribution, and same bore and stroke, but I´m sure with mappings they can do fine adjustments in this regard too, depending on what are they looking for, efficiency, peak power, driveability...

PhillipM

Can't really read too much into FP1 so far, too much time spent with the aero rakes on, but the car doesn't seem to be struggling on turn in to the hairpins at all and it looks pretty planted, so far, so good, really - looks like it's working well here as expected.

diffuser

PhillipM wrote:
07 Jun 2019, 18:57
Can't really read too much into FP1 so far, too much time spent with the aero rakes on, but the car doesn't seem to be struggling on turn in to the hairpins at all and it looks pretty planted, so far, so good, really - looks like it's working well here as expected.

Isn't FP2 the best chance at making a comparison. Closer to Quali track temp etc ... track temp will be alot higher on Sunday with a high of 28C(82F).

PhillipM

Best thing will be to just watch the car rather than look at the times when they do some medium runs without the aero rakes, see whether the front end bites and what the braking stability is like into the chicanes, should tell you how well the front tyres are working, so far they look fine, I think they're putting enough energy in just through the brakes here.

SmallSoldier

Would be interesting to know which spec of the engine they are using for FP1... Are they already on the Renault Spec 2 or running Spec 1 to save mileage on the engine?

The car doesn’t look bad... Watched a few onboards for both Carlos and Lando, they seemed to be enjoying car stability.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

charliesmithhd

Looks like mechanics were sawing part of the floor on landos car