2019 Mclaren F1 Team - Renault

This forum contains threads to discuss teams themselves. Anything not technical about the cars, including restructuring, performances etc belongs here.
f1rules
f1rules

Re: McLaren MCL34

Lucky
Lucky

Re: 2019 Mclaren F1 Team - Renault

A start date for new technical director James Key, who joins from Toro Rosso, has not yet been released, although he is expected to join around the end of March.
https://www.bbc.com/sport/formula-one/47238362

the EDGE
the EDGE

OzanA wrote:
15 Feb 2019, 09:59
Will they do a filming day?or is it too late for that?
I believe last year they run at Barcelona the day before pre-season testing officially started, so not too late

But I’ve got read anything about this year so far

Ground Effect
Ground Effect

Lucky wrote:
15 Feb 2019, 14:28
A start date for new technical director James Key, who joins from Toro Rosso, has not yet been released, although he is expected to join around the end of March.
https://www.bbc.com/sport/formula-one/47238362
That's great if accurate. He'll be front and center in developing the MCL34 and leading the birth of its successor.
Q: (Stefano Mancini – La Stampa) Kimi, will you help Vettel to win his championship this year?
Kimi Raikkonen: I can only drive one car, obviously. 
@2018 Singapore Grand Prix drivers press conference.

Ground Effect
Ground Effect

the EDGE wrote:
15 Feb 2019, 14:45
OzanA wrote:
15 Feb 2019, 09:59
Will they do a filming day?or is it too late for that?
I believe last year they run at Barcelona the day before pre-season testing officially started, so not too late

But I’ve got read anything about this year so far
They had their filming day at Los Arcos last year, before preseason testing.
Q: (Stefano Mancini – La Stampa) Kimi, will you help Vettel to win his championship this year?

ALO_Power
ALO_Power

Ringleheim wrote:
15 Feb 2019, 21:52
This is going to be yet another lost season for McLaren where the team functions as simple "also rans" from the first race.

When was the last time this team was relevant as a top protagonist on the F1 stage? It's been quite a while.

I believe the old all conquering McLaren that we have all been waiting to re-emerge is never going to be seen again. It's over folks. McLaren and have become another Williams.

Sad! As much as I always hated them as a team! But it was out of respect for their quality and success as much as anything.
Waaaat?

Ground Effect
Ground Effect

Ringleheim wrote:
This is going to be yet another lost season for McLaren where the team functions as simple "also rans" from the first race.

When was the last time this team was relevant as a top protagonist on the F1 stage? It's been quite a while.

I believe the old all conquering McLaren that we have all been waiting to re-emerge is never going to be seen again. It's over folks. McLaren and have become another Williams.

Sad! As much as I always hated them as a team! But it was out of respect for their quality and success as much as anything.
All that I got from your bizarre ramblings, which by the way, contained nothing to support your claims was that you've always hated Mclaren as a team. So your desire to see them fail is, understandable.

RonDennis
RonDennis

Ringleheim wrote:

You clearly still hate them. Imagine being so small-minded that you hate people/teams because of their quality and success. Go troll on Reddit.

KingHamilton01

Ringleheim wrote:

What is this based on exactly? anything to back up your expert Knowledge or just your clear hate? I would happily chat to you after the first race and see if your still willing to make outrageous claims.
McLaren Mercedes

davidfroshanzen
davidfroshanzen

M840TR wrote:
15 Feb 2019, 10:31
mclaren111 wrote:
15 Feb 2019, 10:08
Personally I'm in favor of BP / Castrol as it's developed with & for the Renault PU...

The money Petrobras would pay can be replaced next year with another sponsor...

Seems like BAT might be be a lot of money as they are all over the car...
I didn't expect Huski on the RW as well. Seems like a double digit deal.
BAT for $30m ???

Dazed1
Dazed1

Ringleheim wrote:

"Come on, Alonzo, I thought you were better than that!" :) (Okay, that's a Vettel Quote from a race.)

M840TR
M840TR

davidfroshanzen wrote:
16 Feb 2019, 05:32
M840TR wrote:
15 Feb 2019, 10:31
mclaren111 wrote:
15 Feb 2019, 10:08
Personally I'm in favor of BP / Castrol as it's developed with & for the Renault PU...

The money Petrobras would pay can be replaced next year with another sponsor...

Seems like BAT might be be a lot of money as they are all over the car...
I didn't expect Huski on the RW as well. Seems like a double digit deal.
BAT for $30m ???
I'm not sure of the exact figures but around $30m seems right since Chandon was the lead sponsor the last two years and BAT is their replacement.

wesley123
wesley123

DiogoBrand wrote:
15 Feb 2019, 22:33
Interesting that several people spent the entire year saying "McLaren's cooling create too much drag, that's why they're so slow", then comes someone from McLaren and says that it was pretty much class leading. Goes to show how many guesses are spread around as if they were the absolute true around here.
They also said that the 2017 car was one of the best on the grid. We all saw how that turned out
"Bite my shiny metal ass" - Bender

makecry
makecry

wesley123 wrote:
16 Feb 2019, 11:39
DiogoBrand wrote:
15 Feb 2019, 22:33
Interesting that several people spent the entire year saying "McLaren's cooling create too much drag, that's why they're so slow", then comes someone from McLaren and says that it was pretty much class leading. Goes to show how many guesses are spread around as if they were the absolute true around here.
They also said that the 2017 car was one of the best on the grid. We all saw how that turned out
There is enough circumstantial evidence that shows that MCL32 was not a bad car. It could qualify P7 in Spain with an engine that shook itself to bits in early part of the season and ran handicapped ERS system, doesn't happen magically, anyway off topic.

makecry
makecry

M840TR wrote:
16 Feb 2019, 12:30
makecry wrote:
16 Feb 2019, 11:53
M840TR wrote:
16 Feb 2019, 11:45
I believe the source is this interview Lando gave to Sky at the car launch. He says the car doesn't have as much downforce as last year but they're making gains every week. Also says everyone will be initially slower than before but will eventually make progress.

https://www.skysports.com/f1/news/12433 ... ens-launch
TBH, I dont think they will ever recover in this set of regulation. You can just find so much downforce every week with limited CFD and wind tunnel time and more or less zero testing. They are not going to recover unless there is a new set of regulations that needs cars to be rebuilt from ground up and even then you gotta be lucky.
Who's to say really. There sure were reports of Redbull and Merc regaining 2018 DF levels which seem to be mostly from stretching the packaging and bigger RW.
I am talking about McLaren recovering performance in general. They are so behind that they really can't produce a car capable of being anything better than 4th and imo, 4th would be an achievement too .