2019 Mclaren F1 Team - Renault

This forum contains threads to discuss teams themselves. Anything not technical about the cars, including restructuring, performances etc belongs here.
ME4ME

Re: 2019 Mclaren F1 Team - Renault

PhillipM wrote:
08 Jul 2019, 16:31
Forgot to mention that the parts for Silverstone are only worth 1-2 tenths I was told. So either the previous half second was just conjecture from Sky or that package/floor/etc, might be what is delayed until Germany/later.
If the 2 tenths are delivered in real world, thats still a good step.

Seanxprt
Seanxprt

SmallSoldier wrote:
08 Jul 2019, 21:48
diffuser wrote:
SmallSoldier wrote:
08 Jul 2019, 16:11

But Merc has always had low rake and high top speed, it would seem that this particular season they have are suffering from a more draggy configuration to create more downforce.

The article does seem more of an opinion piece than based on actual data, clearly boasting Sainz... The journalist has been involved in F1 for a couple decades now, which doesn’t necessarily mean that he is a good source.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Right and I just pointed a couple things that are wrong. So I am not likely to believe anything he writes.....Not to mention that if you painted RBR car McLaren orange, the average person would have problems telling them apart.
For me the MCL34 has little to do with the RBR... Seems more like a mix of the interesting traits from most cars in the grid (not saying that they copy anyone per se, but I can see different cars in it).

The front wing = Ferrari
The nose = Alfa
The narrow front and cape = Mercedes
The Sidepods = RBR
The Rear Wing mounts = Haas

I would say that the bargeboard area and rear wing are just theirs :)

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Just FYI, McLaren invented the rear wing mounts seen on nearly all the cars now all the way in 2017 :)

thedog
thedog

Seanxprt wrote:
08 Jul 2019, 22:22
SmallSoldier wrote:

Just FYI, McLaren invented the rear wing mounts seen on nearly all the cars now all the way in 2017 :)
I believe SmallSoldier was talking about the dual swan neck mounts and you are talking about the end plates. Not sure when swan neck mounts were invented, but they've been in F1 since at least 2015 (possibly earlier).

SmallSoldier
SmallSoldier

Seanxprt wrote:
SmallSoldier wrote:
diffuser wrote: Right and I just pointed a couple things that are wrong. So I am not likely to believe anything he writes.....Not to mention that if you painted RBR car McLaren orange, the average person would have problems telling them apart.
For me the MCL34 has little to do with the RBR... Seems more like a mix of the interesting traits from most cars in the grid (not saying that they copy anyone per se, but I can see different cars in it).

The front wing = Ferrari
The nose = Alfa
The Sidepods = RBR

The swan neck? I thought Haas brought them to the grid lately... but i could be wrong :)

zoroastar
zoroastar

SmallSoldier wrote:
09 Jul 2019, 04:59
Seanxprt wrote:
SmallSoldier wrote:

The front wing = Ferrari
The nose = Alfa
The Sidepods = RBR

The swan neck? I thought Haas brought them to the grid lately... but i could be wrong :)

hes talking about the slots on the end plates. i think..

diffuser

SmallSoldier wrote:
Seanxprt wrote:
SmallSoldier wrote:

The front wing = Ferrari
The nose = Alfa
The Sidepods = RBR

For me the wheelbase, the rake, the midwing, the side pods at the opening, the only other team to have an opening in the nose, the side pod behind the opening looks like 2018 RBR. Of all the cars, McLaren looks the most like RBR.

All the ferrari and Merc PU cars have much longer wheel bases. Renault and McLaren are the only ones, like RBR, to have kept the wheel base short by pushing back the opening of the side pod and exposing the crash structure.

Anyways my point was that Journalist was full of shiit. I gave 2 reasons why. I stand by them.

_cerber1

A bit of analysis 2018 - 2019

https://twitter.com/SmilexTech

ispano6

SmallSoldier wrote:
Seanxprt wrote:
SmallSoldier wrote:

The front wing = Ferrari
The nose = Alfa
The Sidepods = RBR

Ferrari had it early on in 2015 and Mercedes followed suit. The swan neck came from Lemans as a result of 2008 rules changes.
The second trend was in response to the first and ultimately was much more intriguing, if perhaps only initially. The intriguing bit was that nearly simultaneously, both Audi and Acura debuted their race cars, the R15 and ARX-02a respectively, with nearly identical specific details in the area of the rear wing. Instead of utilizing a conventional bottom rear wing mount, both cars arrived with top mounts for the rear wing mount, so called “swan neck” mounts. But how could two cars with completely divergent design philosophies come to the exact same design execution on one detail in a critical area? What was going on here, another Stepneygate?

Actually the answer was comparatively boring and quite simple. It turns out, as aerodynamicists started to go down the route of more aggressive rear wing assemblies, they stumbled upon one fundamental problem; flow separation in the area of the conventional bottom wing mounts. And apparently the solution was pretty universal, hence Audi designers using an Italian scale wind tunnel agreed with Acura designers using a digital wind tunnel.
So it seems Ferrari got it from Audi...

http://www.mulsannescorner.com/rearwingLMPCFD2009.html

diffuser

SmallSoldier wrote:

They're just uprights, you can see them being used in furniture in the 19th century. Not sure how far back they go. They hold the wing up and carry hydraulics for the drs. Nothing ground shattering.

zoroastar
zoroastar

diffuser wrote:
09 Jul 2019, 16:51
SmallSoldier wrote:

They're just uprights, you can see them being used in furniture in the 19th century. Not sure how far back they go. They hold the wing up and carry hydraulics for the drs. Nothing ground shattering.
theres a little more to it than that c: they effectively give the rear wing more surface area, allowing for more lateral stability. this video sortof explains it.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZiL8g3j-3CQ

Morteza

"A fool thinks himself to be wise, but a wise man knows himself to be a fool."~William Shakespeare

diffuser

zoroastar wrote:
09 Jul 2019, 17:12
diffuser wrote:
09 Jul 2019, 16:51
SmallSoldier wrote:

theres a little more to it than that c: they effectively give the rear wing more surface area, allowing for more lateral stability. this video sortof explains it.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZiL8g3j-3CQ
Again not earth shattering. They had it last year except it was a single upright with the DRS over it, the swan look wasn't apparent. With the change in rear wing regulation, a single upright wouldn't carry the df. They'll find a way to return to a single upright.
Last edited by diffuser on 09 Jul 2019, 19:42, edited 1 time in total.

Jackles-UK

Good thing to announce the 2020 driver lineup so early, not being embroiled in the inevitable silly season lunacy (which would have been a massive distraction now that McLaren have a decent package to offer drivers) will surely keep everyone focused on the job at hand.

diffuser

Jackles-UK wrote:
09 Jul 2019, 19:37
Good thing to announce the 2020 driver lineup so early, not being embroiled in the inevitable silly season lunacy (which would have been a massive distraction now that McLaren have a decent package to offer drivers) will surely keep everyone focused on the job at hand.
Yep, no shortage of lunatics on the grass.

f1rules
f1rules

definitly
Jackles-UK wrote:
09 Jul 2019, 19:37