2019 Mclaren F1 Team - Renault

This forum contains threads to discuss teams themselves. Anything not technical about the cars, including restructuring, performances etc belongs here.
Jackles-UK

Re: 2019 Mclaren F1 Team - Renault

Motorsport.com:
McLaren’s analysis even went as far as its systems and wind tunnel – just to make sure that there was no surprise element that was tripping it up.
This might turn out to be an essential but overlooked part of their late-2018 season running. Spending entire practice sessions ratifying data from the wind tunnel & CFD to ensure their simulations are accurate was a wise use of time and resources given how crucial those aspects of design are these days.

KingHamilton01

bauc wrote:
11 Jan 2019, 15:21
KingHamilton01 wrote:
11 Jan 2019, 14:24
bauc wrote:
10 Jan 2019, 17:37

They already did, but he will not join the team till mid this season

https://twitter.com/f1/status/1022427789302132736
Exactly as in McLaren uniform and presented to us, I knew he had joined obviously! #-o
Show me a photo of Seidl in Mclaren team gear, announcement is announcement
Seriously......water is wet you know what im trying to say! do you like going round in circles?
McLaren Mercedes

Morteza

"A fool thinks himself to be wise, but a wise man knows himself to be a fool."~William Shakespeare

lio007

I wonder why Peter Prod was never mentioned recently...

marmer

lio007 wrote:
14 Jan 2019, 07:23
because he isn't all that

mclaren111

lio007 wrote:
14 Jan 2019, 07:23

He's been working his ass off to ensure we don't have a repeat of 2018...

M840TR

Why unnecessarily put the spotlight on your technical team anyway. The ones mentioned lately have been part of the restructuring program.

Manoah2u

Still think it was a mistake to get rid of the VW guy and by doing so delaying Mclaren's revalidation unneccesarily.
"Explain the ending to F1 in football terms"
"Hamilton was beating Verstappen 7-0, then the ref decided F%$& rules, next goal wins
while also sending off 4 Hamilton players to make it more interesting"

Morteza

Manoah2u wrote:
14 Jan 2019, 14:03
Still think it was a mistake to get rid of the VW guy and by doing so delaying Mclaren's revalidation unneccesarily.
They got rid of him because he was hired by Ron, I guess. He was with McLaren for half a year if I remember correctly! Anyhow, so far Zack Brown has done some nice signings and restructuring IMHO.
"A fool thinks himself to be wise, but a wise man knows himself to be a fool."~William Shakespeare

Manoah2u

Morteza wrote:
14 Jan 2019, 16:18
Manoah2u wrote:
They got rid of him because he was hired by Ron, I guess. He was with McLaren for half a year if I remember correctly! Anyhow, so far Zack Brown has done some nice signings and restructuring IMHO.
Oh i'm not saying Zak isn't doing his job well.
Matter of fact, i think he's doing that pretty good.
It seems the atmosphere @ Mclaren is starting to become more relaxed.
whether that's positive, we'll find out in due time.

Kicking out the biggest error Mclaren made since spygate called Eric Bouillier was the best thing they could have done, even though they should've done that a year before.

Still, i think it would have saved Mclaren a lot of trouble and they'd been in a better position if they kept the VW guy. Offcourse i don't know what deals were made before ron's departure and what discussions happend after that, but i believe there could have been a reboot much earlier if he was present. It's going to take time for the changes to come into effect.

Meanwhile, the horrible pitstop quality of Mclaren is just embarassing and shows just how deep they have sunken.
Additionally, in my personal opinion, this only further shows Alonso's patience and amazing capability seeing how he still managed to bring in that wreck in respectable places, even though there was nothing respectable about the car and team itself.

I don't believe Renault is the right answer for Mclaren, but we will have to wait and see.
Must note though, that i do believe splitting with Honda was the right thing to do for both parties. Mclaren, how it was, how it dealt with things, in the recent past untill now, was not something that would have seen come a fruitful partnership. You can see how much better Honda did with the RB/TR partnership approach.
I do believe, that if this 'change' at Mclaren keeps going into the right direction, that the Honda partnership COULD work in about 2 seasons further down the road. BUT, that ship has sailed permanently anyway due to the recent past.

Mclaren won't be having any title chances for the coming 5 years for sure though. With Renault, that's never going to happen since the works team is out there too. Only if there was no works team, they would manage, but with the works team eyeing a WCC in the near future, that's just not gonna happen.
So if they want to become WCC, they are going to need a different engine, which there is not, and will not be one in the near future either.

Add to that, i don't believe Mclaren has a driver lineup remotely capable of being WDC or getting the team into WCC territory. Not now, not next year, not even in 5 years. Lando has to learn and ripen, and is a huge question mark, but for starters lacks a car even remotely capable of WCC. Sainz is definately a fast and talented driver, but lacks that WDC edge that guys like Ricciardo, Verstappen, Vettel, Hamilton, etc. do have. As for Sainz, i'd place him into the Grosjean, Bottas, Perez, Hulkenberg territory. without a doubt F1 worthy, definately an asset for any team, but not a chance on being WCC.
"Explain the ending to F1 in football terms"
"Hamilton was beating Verstappen 7-0, then the ref decided F%$& rules, next goal wins
while also sending off 4 Hamilton players to make it more interesting"

Jackles-UK

I agree with bits of the above and disagree with others.

Certainly I agree that Capito being asked to leave was a mistake. Fresh eyes on the team from a man with a winning motorsport record would have been invaluable but things often seem to happen for a reason and maybe Fry, Key & Seidl wouldn’t have happened had he stayed.

Were McLaren’s pit stops really that bad throughout the season? They had a couple of errors early on but I seem to remember a couple of fastest pit stop awards going their way later on in the year? Don’t forget Haas ruined their Australian GP with major pit stop issues resulting in a double retirement from 4th & 5th at the time - that’s what I’d call an embarrassment!

Depending on the engine & financial rule changes (in what is likely to be 2022 at the earliest now) and the strength of their road car division at that point, I can see McLaren building their own engine eventually. If they get to a stage where, like Red Bull were this year, the final piece of the puzzle is a weak power unit and there isn’t a big manufacturer looking to join forces (which, as a possible road car rival, seems unlikely) I think they’ll seriously start looking into the possibility. Lots of ‘ifs, ands and buts’ before that though.

Chicane

Mclaren's pit stops, strategy and race operations were the only few highlights of a season in which the car was poor and unresponsive to changes.

Towards the end of the season Mclaren were regular features among top ten fastest pit stops sometimes with both cars.
Quickshifter

Capharol

Chicane wrote:
15 Jan 2019, 11:56
Towards the end of the season Mclaren were regular features among top ten fastest pit stops sometimes with both cars.
with 10 teams on the grid, that wouldn't be hard :) :wink:

but i understand what you mean, was just kidding a bit :wink:

Restomaniac

godlameroso wrote:
06 Jan 2019, 22:24
McLaren was hesitant to share technical details with Honda, but to have a chance to thrive again, they're forced into doing just that with Renault. Fate it seems is not without a sense of irony.
Nice quote from an amazing film :wink:

cyclon

Manoah2u wrote:
15 Jan 2019, 03:35
Morteza wrote:
14 Jan 2019, 16:18
Manoah2u wrote:
Oh i'm not saying Zak isn't doing his job well.
Matter of fact, i think he's doing that pretty good.
It seems the atmosphere @ Mclaren is starting to become more relaxed.
whether that's positive, we'll find out in due time.

Kicking out the biggest error Mclaren made since spygate called Eric Bouillier was the best thing they could have done, even though they should've done that a year before.

Still, i think it would have saved Mclaren a lot of trouble and they'd been in a better position if they kept the VW guy. Offcourse i don't know what deals were made before ron's departure and what discussions happend after that, but i believe there could have been a reboot much earlier if he was present. It's going to take time for the changes to come into effect.

Meanwhile, the horrible pitstop quality of Mclaren is just embarassing and shows just how deep they have sunken.
Additionally, in my personal opinion, this only further shows Alonso's patience and amazing capability seeing how he still managed to bring in that wreck in respectable places, even though there was nothing respectable about the car and team itself.

I don't believe Renault is the right answer for Mclaren, but we will have to wait and see.
Must note though, that i do believe splitting with Honda was the right thing to do for both parties. Mclaren, how it was, how it dealt with things, in the recent past untill now, was not something that would have seen come a fruitful partnership. You can see how much better Honda did with the RB/TR partnership approach.
I do believe, that if this 'change' at Mclaren keeps going into the right direction, that the Honda partnership COULD work in about 2 seasons further down the road. BUT, that ship has sailed permanently anyway due to the recent past.

Mclaren won't be having any title chances for the coming 5 years for sure though. With Renault, that's never going to happen since the works team is out there too. Only if there was no works team, they would manage, but with the works team eyeing a WCC in the near future, that's just not gonna happen.
So if they want to become WCC, they are going to need a different engine, which there is not, and will not be one in the near future either.

Add to that, i don't believe Mclaren has a driver lineup remotely capable of being WDC or getting the team into WCC territory. Not now, not next year, not even in 5 years. Lando has to learn and ripen, and is a huge question mark, but for starters lacks a car even remotely capable of WCC. Sainz is definately a fast and talented driver, but lacks that WDC edge that guys like Ricciardo, Verstappen, Vettel, Hamilton, etc. do have. As for Sainz, i'd place him into the Grosjean, Bottas, Perez, Hulkenberg territory. without a doubt F1 worthy, definately an asset for any team, but not a chance on being WCC.

"that ship has sailed permanently anyway due to the recent past"
Are you sure about this ? 8)

"and will not be one in the near future either"
Is not 2022 the near future ? 8)
I loved the iconic McLaren-Honda
But most of all i love McLaren . After all first contact made with M23 that had a Ford Cosworth PU