2019 Mclaren F1 Team - Renault

This forum contains threads to discuss teams themselves. Anything not technical about the cars, including restructuring, performances etc belongs here.
f1rules

Re: 2019 Mclaren F1 Team - Renault

Ground Effect

Some guy a couple of months back wrote an article on Motorsport.com Prime, that with the arrival of Key, the MCL34 concept would be thrown into the bin. Claiming Key would start from scratch because the 34, as he insinuated, didn’t have much potential. Seidl has stated that the 35 would indeed be an evolution, as opposed a revolution. The truth of the matter is most of these guys that write stuff don’t have a clue and piece together suppositions, and present them as fact or insider knowledge.
Q: (Stefano Mancini – La Stampa) Kimi, will you help Vettel to win his championship this year?
Kimi Raikkonen: I can only drive one car, obviously. 
@2018 Singapore Grand Prix drivers press conference.

Espresso

Ground Effect wrote:
15 Aug 2019, 14:50
Some guy a couple of months back wrote an article on Motorsport.com Prime, that with the arrival of Key, the MCL34 concept would be thrown into the bin. Claiming Key would start from scratch because the 34, as he insinuated, didn’t have much potential. Seidl has stated that the 35 would indeed be an evolution, as opposed a revolution. The truth of the matter is most of these guys that write stuff don’t have a clue and piece together suppositions, and present them as fact or insider knowledge.
Key is known to (with his team) come with new concepts and solutions. He was 'tied' within STR to implement all his ideas and thoughts. But they always brought design elements that in time would be copied by other teams.

I'd expect him to bring a revolution as well as en evolution. Bringing components together. The MCL35 might be surprising us in a positive way.
Do you feel the need to post, comment or criticize in this forum?
Please substantiate (why, how, what) your reply!
This is no twitter or chatbox but a forum.

Stay friendly and keep away bashing, trolling & baiting from our wonderful technical forum. --> Forum Guide

Ground Effect

Espresso wrote:
15 Aug 2019, 14:57
Ground Effect wrote:
Key is known to (with his team) come with new concepts and solutions. He was 'tied' within STR to implement all his ideas and thoughts. But they always brought design elements that in time would be copied by other teams.

I'd expect him to bring a revolution as well as en evolution. Bringing components together. The MCL35 might be surprising us in a positive way.
I’m going a bit off topic, but I noticed over the years, at least recent past during Key’s time in STR, the car was usually quick “out of the box” but kind of stagnated over the course of the season performance wise. Is it likely it was a budget issue or a car concept issue with little leeway for development?
Q: (Stefano Mancini – La Stampa) Kimi, will you help Vettel to win his championship this year?
Kimi Raikkonen: I can only drive one car, obviously. 
@2018 Singapore Grand Prix drivers press conference.

bosyber

Bit off topic maybe, but, I think it is rather clear that STR only had a limited budget (and manpower?) to do substantial updates during the season; not worried about the next McLaren car on that account.

M840TR

Ground Effect wrote:
15 Aug 2019, 15:07
Espresso wrote:
Ground Effect wrote:

I’m going a bit off topic, but I noticed over the years, at least recent past during Key’s time in STR, the car was usually quick “out of the box” but kind of stagnated over the course of the season performance wise. Is it likely it was a budget issue or a car concept issue with little leeway for development?
Correlation issues as well. Even now on the STR-14 the updates fail to deliver quite often.

SmallSoldier

Ground Effect wrote:Some guy a couple of months back wrote an article on Motorsport.com Prime, that with the arrival of Key, the MCL34 concept would be thrown into the bin. Claiming Key would start from scratch because the 34, as he insinuated, didn’t have much potential. Seidl has stated that the 35 would indeed be an evolution, as opposed a revolution. The truth of the matter is most of these guys that write stuff don’t have a clue and piece together suppositions, and present them as fact or insider knowledge.
That has always been the case... Now, I don’t know which route they could really be going and for what it could be for us a “revolution” could be in the team’s mind just an “evolution” of the current concept.

The understanding is that the current design is limited in terms of development, today I read an article from Binotto saying that if they could rewind for a year, they would use a different concept for 2019, which indicates that they are also finding challenges to extract more performance from their package... The Ferrari and Mclaren cars are more similar to each other than to the rest of the field... Has Mclaren identified a way to make the current concept stronger? Or is Ferrari right saying that the current concept might not be as good for continued improvement?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

PhillipM

Espresso wrote:
But they always brought design elements that in time would be copied by other teams.
Mclaren themselves had habits of that even in the bad years.

JordanMugen

Ground Effect wrote:
That would be crazy!

The MCL34 is an excellent car, it would be best to evolve it (rather than merely refine it as per Renault to poor effect in 2019) to chase more performance. Especially for just one season!

I am sure, being from a smaller team, Key is from the Dernie school of thought of concentrating resources on the items which will actually give the most performance. [As opposed to refining things that give little laptime.]
SmallSoldier wrote:
15 Aug 2019, 17:42
Or is Ferrari right saying that the current concept might not be as good for continued improvement?
Only one more season with these regulations. There is no point to doing a revolution IMO. Just improve the existing concept, and then focus on the all-new 2021 package.

SmallSoldier

JordanMugen wrote:
Ground Effect wrote:
That would be crazy!

The MCL34 is an excellent car, it would be best to evolve it (rather than merely refine it as per Renault to poor effect in 2019) to chase more performance. Especially for just one season!

I am sure, being from a smaller team, Key is from the Dernie school of thought of concentrating resources on the items which will actually give the most performance. [As opposed to refining things that give little laptime.]
SmallSoldier wrote:
15 Aug 2019, 17:42
Or is Ferrari right saying that the current concept might not be as good for continued improvement?
Only one more season with these regulations. There is no point to doing a revolution IMO. Just improve the existing concept, and then focus on the all-new 2021 package.
You have a very valid point.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

kasio

Espresso wrote:
Ground Effect wrote:

Are You sure about Key? as i have noted its not car concepts! its details. new suspension concept is not new car concept - its detail.

Raleigh

If you look at Key's previous work (STR9-STR13) he trends towards evolution over revolution, the cars are well packaged, have interesting details and generally very well regarded for the team budget but he doesn't reinvent the wheel each year, there's a clear line of evolution. The break in that chain is the STR12 (otherwise known as the Mini-Merc) where Key used a Mercedes style Wing/Nosecone etc (presumably for evaluation purposes by the parent team) before going back to the Red Bull style nose for the STR13.

Which isn't to say Key doesn't come up with some really clever ideas (that I'm excited to see more of on a bigger budget), he just uses his resources well and in this case the best use of budget is almost definitely to produce an evolution of what is already a good car and then focus on 2021.

Also, I wouldn't be too concerned about Key's cars dropping off the pace as the season goes on, most have had as much successful development as you could expect on Toro Rosso's budget, the only real exception was the STR13 last year where the team visibly lost direction after Key was signed to McLaren and placed on gardening leave.
Last edited by Raleigh on 16 Aug 2019, 00:02, edited 2 times in total.

diffuser

kasio wrote:
15 Aug 2019, 23:21
Espresso wrote:
Ground Effect wrote:

Are You sure about Key? as i have noted its not car concepts! its details. new suspension concept is not new car concept - its detail.
The suspension will likely be the only keeper..excluding stuff like crash structure.

Morteza

"A fool thinks himself to be wise, but a wise man knows himself to be a fool."~William Shakespeare

_cerber1

They say about James Key that he can build a good chassis for little money. I hope that McLaren’s budget and technical capabilities will enable him to reach his full potential.